New to the Forum Hello!

Waterdogs1

New to the Forum Hello!

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

I am new to the Forum. I was logged on forgot my password and now I an re-activated. I am a Retriever trainer. Just put a deposit on a litter of GSP. I am in need of all the info i can get about training pointing dogs. I would love to be able to train my dog and run her in trials. My pup will not be born till early march. I have had shorthairs before but many years ago. I had a FT washout that I traded riding walking horse for a trainer Dave Walker for him training my dog. I may be biting off more than I can chew to train a competative trial dog but I am going to give it a go. What sequence of training is their for training a FT pointing dog. When do you whoa break and and force fetch and teach to back and so on. Ha! Ha! I must dound like an idiot :mrgreen: Any good books. In retriever training you have sequences that you follow. I am going to try and contact some folks that are involved in the clubs around my area. The only problem is if it is like our Retriever clubs you have a million folks that think they know what they are doing and a hand full that do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jake Coon
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

jcbuttry8

Re: New to the Forum Hello!

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Welcome Jake. You aren't by chance related to a Jim Coon out of SD are you?

You have a lot of questions and there are plenty of answers. You can look at some of the archived files on here. Plenty of help there. You will likely get routed to a dvd set up called the perfect start and finish. It is a bit pricey but I own the set and like them. It is a really good dvd collection for the beginner. Good luck and send pics when the little rascal shows up.

Also, You might try to find a trainer at one of the clubs near you. It will give someone for you to work with. I would also start hitting some of the trials. It would be good for you to go and ride a few braces. It will give you some idea of what you are getting yourself into. It is a drug. It is addictive and the people are great to hang out with. You will learn plenty and your pup won't get old enough quick enough. We start up this weekend and I am chomping at the bit to get the pup going again.

Good luck,

Joe

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Put on your flak jacket and your helmet and jump in. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 am

Get a copy of Perfect Start and Perfect Finish from Perfection Kennels - it will give you a step by step program.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 am

I went to two trial one in 94 and 95. I wore out two horses. It was pretty fun. My friends dog won the National chuker dog Champioship I believe in 94. I rodeoed my whole life and as I got out of highschool I had quit a few full rides to different colleges but at that time I had two shorthairs. I trained them every day my senior year. Well long story short I was not leaving my dogs. So I went to school at BSU and stayed close to home. Went and trained retrievers at a kennel in Eugene Oregon in the summer. Their something I love about out west and the open spaces that really can only be appreciated with a good pointing dog. I love my labs we do a bunch of duck hunting in the fall and Run hunt tests but I amy ready for another pointing dog. I will invest in some DVDs. I have a few books already. I am going to get involved with the clubs.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:27 am

Well I am headed to my first picnic trial this am. Well the first I have been to for pointing dogs. I did find out the bitch is pregnant so it look like I will be getting a pup in May. Pretty stoked.

willt

Post by willt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 am

Welcome and Congrats on ur new pup, where u getting him from?

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Had a good time at the picnic trial got to see some nice dog meet some nice people. Went and trained my dog after and the weather has been great. I am getting my pup from http://www.hkkennels.com/dogs.html the litter is Woody and Nell.