Rescuing GSP

Nathan&aspen

Rescuing GSP

Post by Nathan&aspen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 am

I am rescuing a GSP this weekend she is 4 she is house trained and well behaved. I want to know if it's too late to train her to hunt. The foster family she is with says it is not likely she's had any hunting training, but I took her to a field on a walk and she was pointing and came to a whistle. Where should I get started with her. I have a friend with a full pigeon coop and I have many acres in my backyard.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Rescuing GSP

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

If the dog is interested in birds, it's not too late. I foster a ton of birddogs, old and young. Many have gone on to be good hunting companions for people. Just start with a good training program (Perfect Start DVD is great) and follow it. Introduction to the gun should go slowly and follow the method in the DVD. I'd work on obedience a fair amount until you have a very reliable recall. I would also spend time just bonding with the dog.

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Introduction to the gun should go slowly .... I'd work on obedience a fair amount until you have a very reliable recall. I would also spend time just bonding with the dog.
+1
Last edited by Mollyontherun on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan&aspen

Post by Nathan&aspen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you and yes she loves birds.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 am

I don't think it is ever too late. At the very least it is worth a try, what have you got to loose. Hunting is just naturally in these dogs and who knows at 4 years old she may have had some training in the past if you don't know her history.
I adopted a 3 year old chocolate lab/shorthair mix once that was just a city pet and had her hunting within a year. Bonding, obedience and recall are important.