HELP!!!!!!!

hobbyhunter85

HELP!!!!!!!

Post by hobbyhunter85 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Ok so got a 5 month female lab from a good blood line she was showing good promise with her training had been doing well at the pond and we had begun working on heel she was totally refusing to heel locking her legs up and I got a little agitated thinking that shed come around I pulled her a little bit well now its as though her retrieving switch has been totally turned off she won't retrieve anymore shows no interest in duck wings or retrieving bumpers in the water I did NOT hit the dog not once but she will still sit and come and I haven't tried heel since that day but I feel like I'm screwed I don't know what to so if there is anything I can do anymore any ideas suggestions? :(

brad27

Re: HELP!!!!!!!

Post by brad27 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Too much pressure. Back off, give her a week or two of happy time and come back to training slowly. Start with stuff she already knows and give her plenty of praise.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Exactly Brad. 5 months is still a very young dog who needs to have LOTS of fun.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 am

I agree with the previous two posts. Back-off a bit, go back to everything is fun. Personally I wouldn't re-start heelwork training until she has been pulling out in front of you for a while when on the lead.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 am

Your "HELP!!!!!!!!" needs to come from a professional retriever trainer. You can teach any pup from sharpei to shih-tzu to heel at 10 weeks with a piece of kibble in your hand - not by dragging it along or browbeating with a lead. But that window of opportunity has closed - so go talk to a pro.

MG

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 am

hobbyhunter85 wrote:Ok so got a 5 month female lab from a good blood line she was showing good promise with her training had been doing well at the pond and we had begun working on heel she was totally refusing to heel locking her legs up and I got a little agitated thinking that shed come around I pulled her a little bit well now its as though her retrieving switch has been totally turned off she won't retrieve anymore shows no interest in duck wings or retrieving bumpers in the water I did NOT hit the dog not once but she will still sit and come and I haven't tried heel since that day but I feel like I'm screwed I don't know what to so if there is anything I can do anymore any ideas suggestions? :(
Yes, I have numerous suggestions. It starts with a bit of study on your part to find out how dogs learn, especially puppies. Take a look at the following video clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywrx4O9 ... 68k-Et8%3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbFKGrS ... IIYOJ4I%3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFGWtp- ... EHhHWC0%3D

That's where to start. But there is much more, and it's tons of fun! Let me know anytime I can be of help.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 am

All things must be fun. Keep that in mind for you and the dog. No fun for you is no fun for dog and no fun for dog is no fun for you. If you are not in a positive mood... Shut it down. If she is not in a positive mood, try and create a good mood. As with all women, it might just be one of those days. Don't push too much, just make it enjoyable.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 am

How do you propose making heeling "fun" and "enjoyable" for a pup? Get a kick out of some of these anodyne responses for training, especially as they apply to retrievers, but always open to new ideas.

Bill, whereas you lot might not even work on formalizing it during the dog's lifetime, heeling over here is the genesis of formal training, and is introduced very young. And if introduced properly, it's virtually pressure-free.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

A sticky 'pup ' on anything is usually induced by the conditions it first encounters.
At 3-5 month old ,none of mine would require a lead !
I always start heelwork without it! and almost always in the dark :wink: ,stopping whilst walking aint an option,moving along and next to me is.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm

What do you mean? You don't find it :fun and enjoyable?" :lol:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Crackerd, just about anything can be made fun and enjoyable to a puppy. Their life is fun. Watch them. Maybe it's the broken English that I am misunderstanding but I don't think I have ever seen a pup that can't have it's state of mind altered by just a raise in voice pitch. Fill me in if the pups anyone else may have worked with have responded any differently. Please include breed as I do not wish to ever own a dog that refuses to have fun. :?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:13 am

Keep an eye out for the AKC" canine good citizen" class in your area. I wouldint take a pointer to it but a lab yes. The trainer should be able to read the pup by experience. And help you to help your dog.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 am

Jrclmn18 wrote:just about anything can be made fun and enjoyable to a puppy.
Again I ask, how do you make heeling fun and enjoyable to a puppy? - let's hear the plan, not a load of bromides.
polmaise wrote:A sticky 'pup ' on anything is usually induced by the conditions it first encounters.
At 3-5 month old ,none of mine would require a lead !
I always start heelwork without it! and almost always in the dark :wink: ,stopping whilst walking aint an option,moving along and next to me is.
Hey Robt., where did you blow in from, the North Sea? :wink: Fear you may find a boatload of "snicklefritzes" hereabouts insofar as ideas about training retrievers...or gundogs, period. Keep your fingers crossed otherwise...

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 am

crackerd wrote:
Hey Robt., where did you blow in from, the North Sea? :wink: Fear you may find a boatload of "snicklefritzes" hereabouts insofar as ideas about training retrievers...or gundogs, period. Keep your fingers crossed otherwise...

MG
I hear you Michael :wink: ...I was blown/directed here via another route!
Glad to hear from you mate,at least you have prooved I aint an alien or other cyborg :lol: as the administration are not so sure :lol: .There may be a time delay when you eventually read this :roll:
Anyhow, I'm off to have some 'fun' ..non slip shooting some pigeons.
funny how the darn dog dont leave my side until I send it for a retrieve and I never told it no jokes :lol:
atb
R.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 am

You can't attribute human emotion to a canine. Dogs, if treated properly, will desire to be near you and be happy to do so. Every dog breed we hunt with has an innate desire to learn and work. Their attention spans, however, change with time. The dog WILL enjoy being near you on heel but the length of time at heel will present the problem. Take a dog for a walk... it is happy...it enjoys the walk. With that enjoyment in place... teach. The moment the walk is not fun for the pup, stop teaching. This is elementary... If you cant read your dog, or you just have a negative attitude towards learning and teaching then the above post to send your pup to a pro trainer is dead on. However, this is simply not that difficult.