Pigeon feeding - how much is too much?

Scott Linden

Pigeon feeding - how much is too much?

Post by Scott Linden » Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi everyone, long time no talk. Busy writing shows. This has been bugging me for a while - I know I'm feeding neighborhood critters in addition to my pigeons ... and I DO have a lot of birds right now ... but it sure seems like they are going through a lot of feed (Purina Pigeon Checkers). Has anyone ever figured out how much feed a bird needs, per day? Or, maybe (like me) you know about how much you buy per month, for so many birds. Thanks!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon feeding - how much is too much?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

About an 0unce and a half I think it is but easier ti just measure a heaping Tablespoon per day

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed May 23, 2012 5:18 am

I leave food down all the time. I have about 70-100 homers all the time. If you are going to keep pigeons you should keep meds on hand. just saying

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 am

I feed 2 oz per bird per day but think it might be to much, they don't come running in to get it and they leave some in the feeder. I cut them back a bit this week and they are cleaning it all up and coming in at feeding time. Pretty much free feed my ferals. They eat what they want and don't clean everything up at once. Do fine on it. The homer's get a custon feed from a local co-op. Different grains, pop core and couple different kinds of peas. The ferals have only ever got chicken scratch.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 pm

I only have 14 birds right now, but I keep them on full feed. I use a Many Ports Feeder from Quality Wildlife ($35) and buy a bag of feed every four to six weeks. I use the Pen Pals gamebird feed from the local feed store. I was feeding pigeon feed and they were going through it pretty quick. One day I went down to get some pigeon feed and they were out, so I got gamebird feed and thought I'd try it. They eat less, are pretty doggoned strong and fly better than they did on the pigeon feed. I guess it's the higher protein content. Good thing, too, because they're out at the grounds, about 15 miles away and I can't get out there every day to feed them and they also don't get flown a whole heck of a lot.

Costs me about $18 per bag and I get the cheaper of the two which are, if I remember, Maintenance and Brooder mixes.

You can see the coop I originally built as a johnny house if you go to www.youtube.com/user/stonefacekennel and scroll down a ways. I think I posted it around September.

www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu May 24, 2012 3:39 am

I use a elevated bird-bath type fountain so no mice or squirrels can get to the feed. This time of year the birds are all on eggs or have squeekers so i keep the fountain full of feed. They return quick due to the nesting. The winter i dont free feed, I will bring them back with hunger during the non nesting season. I had a couple chicks die when they ran out of feed one time.so now i double check daily and i don't take the helpers word anymore.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 pm

+1 on the 1-2 oz per bird
+1 on the game bird feed
+1 on full feeders during nesting/rearing season

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 pm

I never leave the feeder full i can't afford the wasted graun. If you watch you can tell when they are full. I do feed a higher protein during that time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.