Training in the heat.

northern cajun

Training in the heat.

Post by northern cajun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Training in the heat? Do you do it an how. I am talking about over 95 at least an over 100 lots of the time.

When do you call it to protect the dogs I know its a case by case basis but what are your guidelines?

When its still over 100 with heat index, I actually run them at night and try to do some yard work early in AM when work allows.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Ms. Cage

Re: Training in the heat.

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Forcast for tomorrow 90, high humid. We'll be training by 7:30 and wrap things up by 10:30 am. Keeping everything short and sweet. Field work first, water work last. Be careful with the water work dogs can over heat as quick in the water as the field.

alynch

Post by alynch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm only working 1 dog, so I can be done in 20 min. I work early in the moring or just before dark

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:12 am

I used to start late morning in the heat. Run then for half hour or so. Need to keep water tubs down though, at least a couple not to far apart. Dogs that can dunk handle heat better than dogs that can't.

I should add, you decide when the dog goes to water, not the dog. There's been several trial dogs in AF that have run themselves to death for not either shutting down or going to water. Pay attention to the dogs physical condition at all times.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 am

Keep it short and fun. It is a great time of year to brush up on a few things. For example, "whoa" is an absolute and the command is not to be questioned or disobeyed. Bumper fetching and frozen bird fetching work pretty well (if you are near the freezer and the bird doesn't thaw).

The "kennel" command is an important command and, just like anything else, needs to be brushed up.

I always use the hot offseason to remind my dogs of all of their commands, and to remind them that being with me is the source of lots of fun. It keeps their attitude tuned up and their response to commands quick and sure.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 am

Since Arizona does not know how to change it's clocks, I am up at 4:30AM and either training or roading by 5:30AM and done by 7:30 - 8:00 AM. Living at 6,300 ft. once it hits 80 we stop. Never could get as much done when we lived in the desert.

zzgour

Post by zzgour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Working dogs in the morning/night, dip them in the water tank on the way out to the field and on the way back in, feeding them after training sessions, maybe 2 short sessions per day
Jim Gourley - Setter Dogs - Bird Dog Training & Guided Hunts - 785-249-4316