pup barking wile tied up waiting to train

sdnordahl

pup barking wile tied up waiting to train

Post by sdnordahl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm

I have a 5 month and 5 yr lab. Some times I take them both out to work in the field. I will tie the dogs up with a leash and let them off one at a time to work them. I've only done this a couple times so far. When the pup is tied up she barks and whales and makes all sorts of noise flipping out.
so I wanted to pick everyons brain b4 I do this some more..... my first thought was she will learn to be quiet like she did when I was kennel training her. I also thought this would help her later in the blind to be quite. Is this the case? Is this a bad idea? Has anyone done this?
Please check out my web page and let me know what you think of my new pup. http://nordahlslabs.webs.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: pup barking wile tied up waiting to train

Post by shags » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:27 am

Use a figure eight a la the Huntsmith method.

http://www.huntsmith.com/

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34 am

#1:
It works great.
I can never remember how to tie it when off it for a while. But when using it consitantly it is old hat.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:50 am

And don't let her off the lead until she is calm.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:16 pm

I use a bonker. Every time the dog barks I take a rolled up towel held together with rubber bands Or my hat which ever is convenient and throw it at the dog. You do not have to hit the dog with it, just throw over its head. If I have to drop what I am doing and walk all the way back to the dog i will. This way the dog perceives its barking as only getting the bonker thrown at it. After enough repetitions the dog gets the idea. Once the dog is quiet I will release the dog. Release the dog once while it is barking and you just trained it that barking is the behavior that gets it released.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:29 pm

4dabirds wrote:I use a bonker. Every time the dog barks I take a rolled up towel held together with rubber bands Or my hat which ever is convenient and throw it at the dog. You do not have to hit the dog with it, just throw over its head. If I have to drop what I am doing and walk all the way back to the dog i will. This way the dog perceives its barking as only getting the bonker thrown at it. After enough repetitions the dog gets the idea. Once the dog is quiet I will release the dog. Release the dog once while it is barking and you just trained it that barking is the behavior that gets it released.
Yup, and/ or maybe more drastic measures and it will take time and patience but it will work if you are consistent and stay with it until you get the behavior you want.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I guess I am out of step here but barking at the line is good on my mind. Tells me the pup is wanting to go, to be involved, and hasn't figured out yet that everyone has to take turns. Seldom have I had a problem for very long as it will learn that its time is coming. So my method is ignore it, usually in a few minutes it will slow down and after a few sessions the pup will pretty much stop as it learns it's time is coming.

I have a different set of rules for a pup compared to an older dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I guess I am out of step here but barking at the line is good on my mind. Tells me the pup is wanting to go, to be involved, and hasn't figured out yet that everyone has to take turns. Seldom have I had a problem for very long as it will learn that its time is coming. So my method is ignore it, usually in a few minutes it will slow down and after a few sessions the pup will pretty much stop as it learns it's time is coming.

I have a different set of rules for a pup compared to an older dog.

Ezzy
I don't believe you are out of step here and I think our comments are ignoring the fact that the puppy is only 5 mos. old, as we do in a lot of these threads.

Charlie

sdnordahl

Post by sdnordahl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I understand the pup is 5 mo. I just stumbled across this wile I tried to take both dogs to the field at the same time and was wondering if this was a window into a problem i should address now or later. I wont be doing anything with force behind it ATM. My original thought was she will get over it if I keep doing this for a wile but b4 I did that I wanted more opinions b4 i went down a bad path.
Please check out my web page and let me know what you think of my new pup. http://nordahlslabs.webs.com/

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:15 am

Try tying the pup up on the other side of the truck from where you are training. If the pups can't see you, it will relax a bit sooner. If it sees you, it will want to be where you are. I would also move from a leash to a stake out chain which will give a bit of stimulation to the pup and help to calm it down.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am

Even before the figure 8 it almost sound like the pup may need some stakeout chaing contitioning, Huntsmith guys as well
Last edited by aulrich on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:53 am

I'm going out on a limb here but are you married and have children? 15yrs of this for me has made my "selective hearing" a valuable tool for certain situations such as the one your dealing with. :D

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

sdnordahl wrote:I also thought this would help her later in the blind to be quite. Is this the case? Is this a bad idea? Has anyone done this?
Let's start with the more important question; Is this a bad idea? Yes it is. You have a relatively under trained dog in your pup that wants to participate because he's a quality dog. That's nice, except he's being put in a position do develop a bad habit, rather than be trained into good habits.

This is a training issue, and that requires you to focus on giving this young dog the skills you desire for him to have and use. You simply cannot attend to this pup while running your older dog, so be fair. Put him in his kennel in that circumstance. If he has not begun formal Basics yet, now's the time! Are you following a proven method?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

sdnordahl

Post by sdnordahl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Yes im following smartworks. This was the first time I took both dogs out. My older one was getting training neglected wile I've been working with the pup. I thought I could tie down the dogs and work one at a time. But that didn't work so well. So I thought I would pick everyones brains b4 I did this again.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm

sdnordahl wrote:Yes im following smartworks. This was the first time I took both dogs out. My older one was getting training neglected wile I've been working with the pup. I thought I could tie down the dogs and work one at a time. But that didn't work so well. So I thought I would pick everyones brains b4 I did this again.
It's good to re-think it. Had you tied out your older dog all of this would be fine because he's trained and mature. Kennel your pup in this situation, and keep up his training. Let me know anytime I can be of help.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum