Mixed breed and training

jbonesky

Mixed breed and training

Post by jbonesky » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm

My English Cocker Spaniel (not trained as gundog) just had 7 puppies (mixed with Jack Russell), which put a damper on my either trying to train my Cocker or buying a puppy Cocker/Springer/or Boyken.... So my questions are.....

1. What is the chance that one of these pups (English Cocker/Jack Russell mix) could be raised and trained to be a good gundog for upland and maybe even waterfowl and rabbit?.. (I have obviously researched English Cockers before i my dog, and just recently researched Jack Russells and both are said to have great hunting and gundog instincs) Or should i just bite the bullet and purchase another Cocker/Springer/or Boyken????

2. Since I've never trained a gundog before what books or DVDs would you recomend?

any and all replys are appreciated

campgsp

Re: Mixed breed and training

Post by campgsp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:03 am

Its a big gamble so I'm going to suggest you buy another dog. Don't waist your time trying and hoping that mix will work.

Check out the navhda green book some real good advice in there.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Since you've never trained any gundog bedfore, I'd say any dog is a bit of a gamble. I disagree that you should not try to train any of the pups. I trained every dog I could lay my hands on when I first started training. If the dog was free, it was for me. Did I have any success with them? Nope, not for about five years. Once I finally understood what training really was, I started getting a few dogs that would work. So, in my book, no harm in trying. It's a great way to learn.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Thank you both for the advice.. My step dad has labs he uses for waterfowl, today he said he was going to breed them next year.. So i believe i may work with one of the pups till i can snag a lab off him next year.. So again any books and videos or training advice for a newbie would be much appreciated...

cleanslate

Post by cleanslate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Where are you located? Is the Cocker from hunting lines? The reason I ask is if they turn out having strong drive, and they have some hunting lines in there then you have a better shot at training them to hunt for you. You might try them on some blood trailing(for wounded deer), if you are a deer hunter. I had a mix that I trained for blood trailing and he turned out really great, unfortunately I lost him (long story). Also there are hunters, who might be looking for dogs with good drive to search for deer sheds. I understand that this is becoming more popular. They dont need a pure breed, just a good companion with a drive that they can train. They get the enjoyment of walking through the woods during the off season, and having a good dog with them with a job to do. Just a suggestion

Ken

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm

I work cocker spaniels at the big shoots (driven birds) we have here. They work mainly as retrieving dogs but occasionally as beaters dogs (find and flush) too. I have seen Jack Russels working here as beaters dogs but they are not usually allowed to retrieve even if they would ..... they want to kill what they "catch." I can see no good reason why a cross between the two breeds would not work for you....if you are up to training one.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

I would say that there is absolutely no reason, that you cant train your mix breeds to be workable upland dog. I would say that any training program directed for use with a flushing dog would be workable. You may have to consider whether or not the dogs will have a hard mouth as a result of the terrier cross. I run into a guy 2-3 times a year here locally that shoots mixed bag of quail and bunnies over a rescued pit mix.

Why have you given up on the cocker? give her a couple months and go to work with her.

If waterfowl on big water or in running water is your concern than I would look at getting a lab, but if general upland, and puddle/marsh shooting for ducks is your goal Id say you are set.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 pm

1. I dont know about her (the cocker) she came from a family whos house burnt and i didnt want to pester the guy with getting her info from the ckc, though he did say he used to have one of her brothers from a litter a year before her and he said he was a great quail dog.. Im assuming she has atleast some hunting line between that and she goes crazy when birds fly over. Also she has kind of flushed a few birds when ive had her out letting her run off leash...
I havent given up on her. Just havent had a chance to try with her due to her being pregnant and also was going off the old "cant teach an old dog new tricks" considering shes 3 years old and the poster dog for spoiled lap spaniel..

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Also cleanslate im in the Lexington, KY area

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

jbonesky wrote:1. I dont know about her (the cocker) she came from a family whos house burnt and i didnt want to pester the guy with getting her info from the ckc, though he did say he used to have one of her brothers from a litter a year before her and he said he was a great quail dog.. Im assuming she has atleast some hunting line between that and she goes crazy when birds fly over. Also she has kind of flushed a few birds when ive had her out letting her run off leash...
I havent given up on her. Just havent had a chance to try with her due to her being pregnant and also was going off the old "cant teach an old dog new tricks" considering shes 3 years old and the poster dog for spoiled lap spaniel..

I would give her a shot. If she has decent obedience and isnt gun shy take her to the field and knock a few quail down, and whack a bunny or 2 and see what she thinks of that. spoiled in the house doesnt mean they cant do the job in the field.

yoiur not out anything if she flops

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

cleanslate

Post by cleanslate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

jbonesky wrote:Also cleanslate im in the Lexington, KY area
K Im not sure what the law is up there regarding using blood trailing dogs(if that was even something that interested you). Im in Texas and we have good use for blood trailers here.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Thank you all for the advice.. I do believe ill give her a try, she is a very obedient dog and ive yet to shoot around her.. Though like yall said if she doesnt catch on i still have my lap dog and can start with a pup.. Again thanks guys!!