Starting to hold

Big bloc

Starting to hold

Post by Big bloc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 am

Been working with pup all summer around wild birds. Now with cooler temps I think she picking up on scent sooner. This is the first time she has held for a long period of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Big bloc on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

4dabirds

Re: Starting to hold

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 am

nice thats what it is all about

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 am

I'm anxiously awaiting the light to come on for my pup on wild birds. He's been bumping pheasant and grouse all season.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 am

DogNewbie wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting the light to come on for my pup on wild birds. He's been bumping pheasant and grouse all season.
I had a vizsla years ago and it took her over 2 years for the light to come on. This pup is 11 month old EP female she just loves getting out and working. I hope style will come later also
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am

You have to pay the electricity bill before the lights can come on.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm

DogNewbie wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting the light to come on for my pup on wild birds. He's been bumping pheasant and grouse all season.
In the picture he certainly looks happy enough, I guess all that chasing will do that to you! :D

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

The light is on!!! I was out in ND on a three day phez hunt. He bumped about 5 birds the first morning and then locked up on his next one. Held it until I flushed it (hen.) Next two birds he locked up on I flushed (hens again) and blanked a shot in the air to see what he'd do. He took a couple hops but listened when I whoa'd him. Birds were really spooky, but even so the pup had over 100 contacts and probably 25-30 solid points that he held to flush (including a skunk! Lucky we both got out of there spray free.) Windy conditions, so a fair amount of unintentional bumps. Lots of bumps when the pup was upwind of the bird, but with a handful of whoa's after bump he started stopping to flush pretty consistently. From what I could tell, he only ripped into birds with the intention of catching them twice, both in thin cover, so I was pretty pleased with that. By the third day he was ranging in the max 250 - 300 yard range, which is perfect for me. You could tell he was simply going where the scent was because he found birds 10 yards in front of me, 300 yards in front of me and every where in between. It was a blast seeing him get birdie way out there and hold point for a good while for me to catch up. I tried not to rush myself getting there so he could get used to standing birds for a longer period of time. All in all he was very honest on his birds, and really seemed like he was hunting for me. Can't believe how much improvement he showed in three short days. Completely different pup. All that anxiety is gone!!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Big bloc wrote:
I had a vizsla years ago and it took her over 2 years for the light to come on. This pup is 11 month old EP female she just loves getting out and working. I hope style will come later also
How's the pup coming?

m2244

Post by m2244 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Same boat. Good luck.

njp158

Post by njp158 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm

I think it's a Visla thing. The light coming on in mine now and she will be two next month.

My GSP I think was born with the light on.