I'm back with questions

hrchunter

I'm back with questions

Post by hrchunter » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:16 pm

I haven't been on here in a long time but i'm back with questions.My lab pup is now almost 5 months old and so far i've been doin marks in all kinds of cover and working with him on obedience and hes doing very well.I havent done much with birds yet but he has been introduced to them but i plan on getting him on birds more frequently very soon.I don't really know if i should hunt him this grouse season even though our season doesn't end until febuary 10 and he will be at least 8 months old.What kind of things can i really start workin him on to maybe have him ready for the late part of grouse season and what further training does he need to find and put birds up for me, or would it be a bad idea to try and hunt him this season?I also forgot to mention i have got him coming off leash on the whistle very very well.Any comments would be very appreciated.
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:10 am

Welcome back HRC.

I dont'now much about training labs, but it sounds to me like you are on the right track. Just remember he's still a pup so don't put too much pressure on him at this point. If he's coming reliably off of the lead I think you should be ready to take him hunting. Is he acclimated to gunfire. If not, I would definitely make sure that is done prior to taking him hunting. Don't just "hope for the best," in that department.

Just don't expect much from him this season. It will be a learning experience for him, so it is inevitable that he will do something wrong. The experience will pay off in future seasons.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:57 pm

btt
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:15 pm

I think it would be a great thing to get the pup out there chasing some birds with ya. I dont recommend going with five other guys all blasting 12 gauges, keep it to just you and the pup...and be sure to keep it more about having fun rather then some serious hunting. Good Luck with your pup!

-marshall

(of course im assuming that the pup has been conditioned to gun fire)