Training seminars near pa

chevyman82181

Post by chevyman82181 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

I have a gsp. He is a year old. I want to go to a seminar to help train him. I don't have access to birds. I figured this to be the best way. To help with training. Thanks for any / all info

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training seminars near pa

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

See the listing for PA in May/2013.. Worth every penny.

http://huntsmith.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 am

Maurice Lindley will be doing a seminar in VA in April. It is a very good event.

http://www.pineyrunkennel.com/seminars.htm

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 am

Chevyman, you need to start working on access to birds. It is 100% impossible to train a do without them.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 am

Chevyman what part of PA are you in?

There are a bunch of NAVHDA clubs, The Eastern German Shorthair Pointer Club and many more.

The cost of a seminar can be a few hundred bucks or more. In my opinion, seminars are better for dog owners who have been training. You can ask specific questions that pertain to your training challenges rather than learning about things that you may already know or find elementary compared to your dogs current level of ability. The power of being able to ask Rick Smith What should I do to keep my dog from creeping? will help you to train the dog better after the seminar. Watching the basics without anything to compare it to with your dog will still teach you a lot. Making an actual comparison to the challenges you're facing will make a huge difference in how your dog progresses.

I am based in SE PA and can point you in the direction of a lot of inexpensive birds between Harrisburg, Philly and the Poconos.

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

will-kelly wrote: I am based in SE PA and can point you in the direction of a lot of inexpensive birds between Harrisburg, Philly and the Poconos.
I'd like to know of some places to get birds in the harrisburg area.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 am

Depending on where yo are in PA, there are a few excellent choices you can make as far as training your dog yourself.

In SE PA there is the York Pointer and setter club in Wellsville.
In NE PA there is the Freeland Kennel club in Weatherly.
In southwest NJ there is the English Setter Club of America in Medford.

Joining any one of those clubs would put you in close proximity to birds, training grounds and some of the most knowledgeable amateur and pro trainers in the region.

There are other options, but these I have firsthand knoweldge of, and can recommend.

I am not as familiar with central or western PA, but I am sure there are similar options there as well.

As mentioned previously, there are Navhda training clubs and breed clubs which may conduct training days within reach of you. Having someone who knows what they are doing, show you how to go about doing things will put you(and your dog) well along on the learning curve in a very short time.

Good luck to you both.

RayG

chevyman82181

Post by chevyman82181 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am

I am in south east pa. York York haven to be exact. I have heard of the York pointers and setters. I heard you can't shoot over the dog there. Are these places still training this time of year? I have just a bunch of ?'s. it's difficult everyone has their own way that's right. The guy I got him from gave me some pointer. I wanna get him around birds. He will hold point until around birds then he flushes right away. I wanna get him on some in a controlled environment. Hold him on stay/who until I release him. Shoot the birds over him when on point. Then let him bust the bird and not shoot. Hoping to show him what happens from rushing in for the flush. Sorry for rambling on. Anyone have contact info on these clubs. Thanks.

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Pm sent.......

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 am

Your plan sounds great but the challenge is controlling that training to make it effective. Take advantage of the clubs. Not only is a cheap method to getting on birds but it is also a way to meet people in your area that want to train on a regular basis.

The Keystone NAVHDA club is pretty active in and around that area. I think they do most of their training on state game lands out there.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.keystonenavhda.org

You can just send the club and email an someone will get back to you right away.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Keystone chapter is a good bet for you. Its a local pro trainer in the area as well. Look under Deadwoods kennel Greg Fry is guy, i think he does training sminars during the week at his place for a small fee.

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm

here ye go
George Hickox is hosting a Dog Training Seminar at Hudson Farms on March 28, 29 and 30. The cost is $500 and we will cover the following(lunch and birds included)

What We Teach
The Basics:

Introduction to birds and guns
The imprinting stages and how dogs learn
Clicker training and the use of positive reinforcement training techniques to open
the dog's mind for training
Obedience training for home & field
E-collar training
Nutrition and conditioning
Emergency vet care

The Specifics:
Pointing breeds:

Whoa
Holding point
Steady to wing and shot
Backing
Hunting in range and control

Flushing/retrieving breeds:

Hunting in range and control
Patterning
Handling running birds
Sitting to the flush and shot

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 am

Joining the Keystone chapter only costs around $20 for the year. Its pretty cheap if ur on a budget

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Barry,

I was thinking of doing the same thing, joining Keystone to go along with Patomac. How far does keystone train from you?

Phil

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 pm

They train a few diffenert locations, the grounds that have water are about 35 minutes from me called york springs grounds.The other locations are spread out abit