New pup question.

Rdfhunter

New pup question.

Post by Rdfhunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I've got dome time before he is ready to come home & I've got perfect start/finish on order.

My question is.... What is the biggest mistake made the first week a pounting breed pup comes home!

deseeker

Re: New pup question.

Post by deseeker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 am

playing tug of war with the pup---IMO it might lead to hard mouth and a lack of wanting to give up a retreive, which leads to more training for those problems :roll:

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Sorry for the poor spelling... Fat fingers & an iPhone .

The old tug-a-war no no.. check

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 am

I don't know about the first week but not letting a pup be a pup is the biggest mistake I see.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Saddle wrote:I don't know about the first week but not letting a pup be a pup is the biggest mistake I see.
+1, however, to add to this, a pup can still be a pup without playing tug o war, or being allowed to jump up on people and counters. These sort of things may be cute now, but in three months it's going to be a lot less cute.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 am

Don't let the pup get away with any behaviors you don't want to see in an adult dog. Remember s/he's just a baby, don't be in a hurry (i.e., have patience). And have fun!

pointer

Post by pointer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 am

Like all have mentioned, letting bad behaviour continue because the owner is too passive to want to correct the pup. No biting, no jumping up. You can still allow them to have fun and love them, but correct when needed. As for field issues, I would say playing tug of war, teaching to sit, and improper gun introduction on anything other than birds.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

keep wives and kids from encourging KISSING by pup. this leads to bites in face later.
tell wives kids to say NO BITE when pup bites on hands or pants etc.
NO TUG OF WAR by wives, kids and ones that show up at house that think its neat to do :wink:

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Of you find the pup chewing on something it is not allowed to, when you take it away make sure you put something in its mouth that it can chew on. You do not want the pup to think it isn't supposed to have anything in its mouth.

Corry

Deuce

New pup question.

Post by Deuce » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm

I have to disagree Jim... I taught my pup to give "kisses" on command and she doesn't bite. It was actually something I did to discourage biting. The pup would nip and I would hold its mouth shut then when I removed my hand I held it in front of her mouth and gave the kisses command.

This could also be because my fiancée's number one criteria for a dog was that it gave kisses.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Deuce wrote:I have to disagree Jim... I taught my pup to give "kisses" on command and she doesn't bite. It was actually something I did to discourage biting. The pup would nip and I would hold its mouth shut then when I removed my hand I held it in front of her mouth and gave the kisses command.

This could also be because my fiancée's number one criteria for a dog was that it gave kisses.
even me its hard to not get kiss also. my pup had awful biting problem until he was about 5 months old.
i saw pups go after womens eyebrows. :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm

one of the worst mistakes:

Letting the puppy run around everywhere, and then freaking out when he pees on your living room rug.
I don't allow a pup to leave the kitchen the first few weeks unless he’s directly on his way outside.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Sharon wrote:one of the worst mistakes:

Letting the puppy run around everywhere, and then freaking out when he pees on your living room rug.
I don't allow a pup to leave the kitchen the first few weeks unless he’s directly on his way outside.
I liked the tie him to your belt method while he's indoors. Teaches him not to run around inside, allows you to correct bad behavior right away and helps him learn to respect the pull of the lead.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Crate train early and make the young dog believe it's his castle not a form of punishment.

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

These are some great ones... T minus 24 days til pick up & tomorrow I'll start watch "perfect start". While this is not my first hunting dog ,it is my first in a while & the last one made evrything too easy.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Rdfhunter wrote:These are some great ones... T minus 24 days til pick up & tomorrow I'll start watch "perfect start". While this is not my first hunting dog ,it is my first in a while & the last one made evrything too easy.
That is the thing about dogs (and kids) that makes everything so fun and makes you wanna kill yourself sometimes is how they act and people trying to base the future one on the previous one lol. First kid about gave me heart attacks hourly, second one was easy....first dog seemed like it didnt need trained, just needed to know which part of the yard was ok to potty in, second one is trying to give me heart attacks lol. Good luck and have fun.

Corry

Remember, let the pup be a pup for awhile, and do 1 or 2 short (10 min or so) training sessions a day.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

Training with Mo has a good young puppy field intro outline IMO. My recollection of the Perfect Start, which are really good DVDs, is that it starts when the puppies are a little older, maybe 5 or 6 months (but I don't recall them telling how old the pups were so I could be wrong about the ages). I found it helpful to just watch my young puppy interact with the world around him and stay out of his way. You can learn a lot about him/her by doing this.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:06 am

Two things in my mind that can be overlooked or not thought about...both already mentioned but in my mind overlooked.......

Crate training early and often - the crate should be a safe haven for the dog to go, and a place for you to put your dog when other things are going and you can't be keeping a eye on it etc when its young or old...
Make sure if you have a wife/family that everyone is on the same page on how to handle the pup, nothing worse then having multiple people trying to teach the dog multiple different things at once, it will completely confuse the pup...

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 am

I crate trained my GSP & until we stopped hunting him @ 6 he was fine with it. From 6-11 years old he got free run & only a couple of new papers paid for it.

Everybody in the house is also on board so

Check
&
Check