Tri-Tronics Sport Basic vs Sport Upland question

Wyobohunter

Post by Wyobohunter » Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 am

I already have the sport basic with one receiver for our
Rottweiler/Lab/??? mix who loves to chase kids on dirt bikes. I'll be getting a pup (German Wirehaired Pointer) and would like to just add a receiver. Does anyone know if the TT sport basic works with the upland beeper?

roaniecowpony

Re: Tri-Tronics Sport Basic vs Sport Upland question

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 27, 2013 5:00 am

The Tritronics webpage information on the Sport Basic does not indicate anything about a beeper function. You will get a firsthand factual reply from a factory rep if you ask the question on the Tritronics forum. http://forums.tritronics.com/

rufuslatke

Post by rufuslatke » Mon May 27, 2013 8:06 am

The sport basic does not control the beeper at distance. You can run the beeper with it, but will not be able to turn it on and off. IIRC, you can only turn the beeper on and off within 3" of the receiver. That said, do you need a beeper? I personally find them annoying.

Wyobohunter

Post by Wyobohunter » Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I don't know if I need or want one but I already have the transmitter with one collar/receiver for a dog I currently own. I'll likely be ordering a second collar/receiver for the dog I'm getting and wondered if I should just order the beeper as well. I have very little upland experience. One hunt on a bird farm for part of our work Christmas party, and some ptarmigan and blue grouse is about it. No dogs for the Alaska birds and the guide's dogs on the game farm had beepers so I figured that must be what people do. What percentage of folks use beepers... Rough guess?

I'm thinking I could put the $100+ toward something else (like a nice vest) and maybe grow into a beeper if I find I'm missing something without one later.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 pm

The quieter you can be, the less chance you have of spooking game...even birds.