New pup seems to be peeing more than normal.

Wyobohunter

Post by Wyobohunter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I just got home with my 7 week old German Wirehair. She seems to be peeing a lot more than I remember other puppies peeing. Seem normal to you? She is energetic as in I don't think she'd be energetic if she was sick. She just drinks a lot of water and it seems to run right through her. She takes a big drink and 5 minutes later she foes every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes. I know they have small bladders and it is quite warm even in the house (79 degrees), i just cranked up the AC. Thoughts? Am I being paranoid?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: New pup seems to be peeing more than normal.

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Have her checked for an UTI
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Have her checked for an UTI
Good advice, but I smell the urine first, you can tell if it likely.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Wyobohunter wrote:I just got home with my 7 week old German Wirehair. She seems to be peeing a lot more than I remember other puppies peeing. Seem normal to you? She is energetic as in I don't think she'd be energetic if she was sick. She just drinks a lot of water and it seems to run right through her. She takes a big drink and 5 minutes later she foes every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes. I know they have small bladders and it is quite warm even in the house (79 degrees), i just cranked up the AC. Thoughts? Am I being paranoid?
I doubt if it is anything abnormal as she is awful young to be away from her siblings but it wouldn't hurt to have her checked in case there is something wrong that would make you want to take her back.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Probably has not had to hold it much before and just does not. Also could be mild case of puppy vaginitis which is not really an issue other than house training. Ruling out a UTI will help with crate training though.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 am

With UTI she probably will pee a small amount very often sometimes just dribbles. Puppies at that age pee a lot.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:16 am

It's something like $18 for me to take in a urine sample to my vet. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the money, if you suspect. It is like CJ said though, when the UTI advances, they will try to go and go, and just dribble a few drops. I have 2 shorthair girls that each had UTIs as puppies, and the one girl had more than one UTI.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:21 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Wyobohunter wrote:I just got home with my 7 week old German Wirehair. She seems to be peeing a lot more than I remember other puppies peeing. Seem normal to you? She is energetic as in I don't think she'd be energetic if she was sick. She just drinks a lot of water and it seems to run right through her. She takes a big drink and 5 minutes later she foes every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes. I know they have small bladders and it is quite warm even in the house (79 degrees), i just cranked up the AC. Thoughts? Am I being paranoid?
I doubt if it is anything abnormal as she is awful young to be away from her siblings but it wouldn't hurt to have her checked in case there is something wrong that would make you want to take her back.

Ezzy
7 weeks old is a pretty standard age when many reputable breeders will begin to allow puppies to go to new homes.

Back the OP ...try to also monitor how much she is drinking and let the vet know this so they can let you know what else to watch for IF there are any other concerns
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:45 am

One other point the best tool you can buy is a thermometer. Learning how to take her temp and what her normal temp is will save you a lot of trips to the vet. the second sign of urinary track problems is usually a elevated temp after frequent urination. If her temp is normal, a phone call for advice usually is a the best choice.
Be aware most puppies by that age should be close to their normal adult temp. around 101 degrees, maybe a bit lower, and can get quite high without too much cause for alarm. Cj

Wyobohunter

Post by Wyobohunter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks. Would the ear type electronic thermometer I have for my kids be fine?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 am

Wyobohunter wrote:Thanks. Would the ear type electronic thermometer I have for my kids be fine?
The ones for the rear are better for dogs

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:48 pm

A fast working thermometer like the vets use the quicker the better as far as the dog is concerned. Cj