Pen Raised?

MI-Man

Pen Raised?

Post by MI-Man » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 am

Been working with pen raised chukars the last two weeks. Put them in my launcher, 4 of 6 fly about 30/40 yards, land, then take off running. My pup see them land and wants to take off after them. Should I keep expecting this with pen raised birds??

(I wanted to teach my pup if she chases, she can't catch em. Well, bird number one flew 35 yards, my GSP chased, it landed, she killed it. So, that was the last time I let her chase with these birds....)

MI-MAN

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Pen Raised?

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am

Out of launchers, pigeons would be a better choice, IMO. They don't land on the ground after being launched, so unless the dog is on top of the launcher, the bird cannot be caught.

If a dog is not steady to wing, and you are working with penraised birds, the dog probably should be on a checkcord with you holding one end.

At this juncture, I would suggest you get some barn pigeons and do some stop to flush work.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Agree with Ray. Once I get to pen raised birds, I leave the traps home. Pigeons are the greatest training bird ever.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Not all pen raised birds are created equal. Some are very poor flyers depending on the size of the flight pens their raised in, diet, water available before being used, etc.. I agree that pigeons are far more reliable when it comes to not allowing a dog to catch them.

Nate

abradley0408

Post by abradley0408 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 am

What age should you start introducing live birds to a GSP?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Its my opinion that all gun dogs should be introduced to birds during the imprinting stage. (The first 20 weeks of life.) If you deprive a pup of bird contacts during this critical stage of development, it will never reach its full potential.

Nate

abradley0408

Post by abradley0408 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Its my opinion that all gun dogs should be introduced to birds during the imprinting stage. (The first 20 weeks of life.) If you deprive a pup of bird contacts during this critical stage of development, it will never reach its full potential.

Nate
Thanks Nate, and maybe this is a noob question, but I hear a lot about using pigeons or other pen raised birds and just curious if that messes with the dog when hunting game birds. I live in Iowa and plan on using my dog to hunt pheasant and maybe some waterfowl. The NAVHDA chapter I'm planning on joining soon uses Chukar for their field test. Do I need to introduce the birds I plan on hunting to my dog, or can I use pigeons and have that transfer over for all birds?

MI-Man

Pen Raised?

Post by MI-Man » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I've read it's good to diversify. My GSP is 14 months and I have introduced chukars (at 5 months), quail (at 9 months), pheasant (at 12 months), and now a few chukars again. I have some bobwhites coming in August. At this point I just want her picking up the different birds and locking up.
I plan to hunt her, mainly, on grouse and woodcock.
Here is a pic of her on a chukar recently.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371091483.422373.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

MI-Man wrote:I've read it's good to diversify. My GSP is 14 months and I have introduced chukars (at 5 months), quail (at 9 months), pheasant (at 12 months), and now a few chukars again. I have some bobwhites coming in August. At this point I just want her picking up the different birds and locking up.
Mi-man just a suggestion. When your pup is almost on top of the launcher or planted bird like in your picture, pick him up and place him farther back. Two benefits will come of this over time, he'll point birds a little farther back, reducing odds of wild flushing from spooked birds, and the risk of the launcher catching him in the nose or even a scary experience. Jmho. It will benefit you as a hunter, and the dog.

To your topic question, keep a cc on him just incase a bird comes down early, I have even seen pigeons not fly far and land. Just a cautious approach.

MI-Man

Pen Raised?

Post by MI-Man » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks for the advice campgsp! Will do....as a newbie, I appreciate it!

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 am

campgsp wrote:
MI-Man wrote:I've read it's good to diversify. My GSP is 14 months and I have introduced chukars (at 5 months), quail (at 9 months), pheasant (at 12 months), and now a few chukars again. I have some bobwhites coming in August. At this point I just want her picking up the different birds and locking up.
Mi-man just a suggestion. When your pup is almost on top of the launcher or planted bird like in your picture, pick him up and place him farther back. Two benefits will come of this over time, he'll point birds a little farther back, reducing odds of wild flushing from spooked birds, and the risk of the launcher catching him in the nose or even a scary experience. Jmho. It will benefit you as a hunter, and the dog.

To your topic question, keep a cc on him just incase a bird comes down early, I have even seen pigeons not fly far and land. Just a cautious approach.
+1

Homing pigeons are probably the best bird available for training. I'd rather make a mistake with a pigeon that has a good chance of escaping the dog, than with a pen raised game bird.

I feel it's best to never let the dog scent a bird in a launcher. Use a lock win pigeon as a scent bird instead. Place your launcher in a position outside of the scent cone.

Nate