Training videos

Double Shot Banks

Training videos

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Hello,
i recently bought a Gopro Hero 3, and I'm going to use it to film training and hunting with banks.
I am also going to film fishing, hunting, ice fishing, and important/exciting things in my life
Whenever i have a video specifically related to banks training or hunting i will put it on the forum
Otherwise they will all be on my Channel on Youtube which i will post, if you want to see all my videos not just training videos you can "subscribe" to my channel (its free).

Anyway here's the first video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKUmWkX ... e=youtu.be

and my channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRnLn8X ... ture=watch

Thanks for watching.
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: Training videos

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Isaac,

Please allow me to be the first to give you a hard time. Before Doc chimes in. :D

I won't comment on the dog's second retrieve other than to say, give the place board a try.

It takes guts to post a video online kid. :wink:

Nate

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Isaac,

Please allow me to be the first to give you a hard time. Before Doc chimes in. :D

I won't comment on the dog's second retrieve other than to say, give the place board a try.

It takes guts to post a video online kid. :wink:

Nate
I am open to suggestions, but i know his second wasn't very good, earlier when doing triples he was wanting to go to the last one rather than the second (in order, the poison bird as they call it) and i would tell him know and re-direct him. I think he just stuttered and wasn't sure if he was supposed to get the one he was looking at.

Isaac and Banks

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Actually that wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the parade that he displayed after the retrieve. Its a bad habit that you'll want to extinguish early on. This is why I suggested trying the place board. The board will help the dog understand the concept of returning to your side, sitting and retrieving to hand. All without the extra fuss. The board is all about developing a safe zone for the dog and the habit of positive consistent repetition.

All retrievers will be inclined to retrieve the last bird (dummy) seen or thrown until the pattern of behavior is broken. If you want him to take a different line then change his line before sending him. Try throwing a dummy in front and one behind you 180 degrees. Line the dog up on the first dummy thrown and send him. Throw your dummies closer together the next time 120 degrees, 90 degrees and so on. If he changes the line on his own, you probably need to go back a step until he gets it right every time. In other words help him to understand the line you want him to take before correcting him.

Nate

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Actually that wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the parade that he displayed after the retrieve. Its a bad habit that you'll want to extinguish early on. This is why I suggested trying the place board. The board will help the dog understand the concept of returning to your side, sitting and retrieving to hand. All without the extra fuss. The board is all about developing a safe zone for the dog and the habit of positive consistent repetition.

All retrievers will be inclined to retrieve the last bird (dummy) seen or thrown until the pattern of behavior is broken. If you want him to take a different line then change his line before sending him. Try throwing a dummy in front and one behind you 180 degrees. Line the dog up on the first dummy thrown and send him. Throw your dummies closer together the next time 120 degrees, 90 degrees and so on. If he changes the line on his own, you probably need to go back a step until he gets it right every time. In other words help him to understand the line you want him to take before correcting him.

Nate
Thank you for explaning, now i get exactly what you mean and i will start working on it tomorrow.

Isaac and Banks

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 am

Just a question what is your rush you have went from guy shy to trying triples in 4 months your pup is 10 months old. Teal season is 2 and a half months away you have plenty of time. If it was me I would work on obedience not going to tell you how because you started and changing now is going to confuse your dog. Work on heel and come how ever you were than once he has that mastered move to the simple marks than doubles than triples than blinds. With that said good luck and enjoy.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 am

S&J gsp wrote:Just a question what is your rush you have went from guy shy to trying triples in 4 months your pup is 10 months old. Teal season is 2 and a half months away you have plenty of time. If it was me I would work on obedience not going to tell you how because you started and changing now is going to confuse your dog. Work on heel and come how ever you were than once he has that mastered move to the simple marks than doubles than triples than blinds. With that said good luck and enjoy.
I understand what your saying, but i think his obedience is perfect.
Its hard for me to "prove" it to you, but honestly i think now he is ready for what he is doing. He picked up on doubles and triples in just a week maybe two. i can tell he really wants to learn and is good at it.
we wont be doing the gun intro for a few weeks, because my dad just had surgery and cannot help me.
i understand he wont be a "finished" dog until next year for sure, but i would like to get him to be "hunting ready" meaning he isnt gunshy and can retrieve. keep in mind though i am not skipping any steps

Isaac and Banks

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 am

Looks like your doing a fine job to me! Great video, great dog!

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:32 am

If his ob was perfect he would have came straight to you and went to heel without any repeated commands your trying to push too fast

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 pm

S&J gsp wrote:If his ob was perfect he would have came straight to you and went to heel without any repeated commands your trying to push too fast
He usually does, but if your trying to train a "perfect" dog then that's why mine isn't up to your expectations.
Isaac and Banks

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:
S&J gsp wrote:If his ob was perfect he would have came straight to you and went to heel without any repeated commands your trying to push too fast
He usually does, but if your trying to train a "perfect" dog then that's why mine isn't up to your expectations.
Isaac and Banks
What he is trying to say is; take care of the little details and it will make it easier to move forward with the bigger things.

That one little break down in obedience soon happens two times, then three. Next, you're going back and having to fix that problem. Once the issues become ingrained it is much more difficult to correct.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Great post Coveyrise. You do a great job of putting it straight without sounding arrogant. The sport could use more like you.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:03 am

Coveyrise thank you for saying it that way I'm not real good with words most of the time I sound like an well can't say that on here

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

Cool video thanks for posting. I would second Nate's advice about place boards. Jake was notorious for circling me before giving me the dummy and as soon as I introduced him to the place boards it stopped immediately. I think he stops thinking about parading because he is listening to the next command ("Place") instead of delivering the dummy (and the display that goes with it). I know there was a lot of people putting the use of place boards down in my thread but I will tell you... they work. It ingrains in the dog the way you want him to finish. Some say its an extra step but when it comes to training your gun dog it is not a race. If you wanted it done faster you'd send the pup to a pro.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice video.

You have some good advice in the prior posts. I would say the suggestion about spreading the bumpers apart is good advice.

Reading some of your responses I was left with some impressions of where you are trying to go with the training. Some suggestions .....
I would not work on "poison" birds.

When a pup is trying to make a retrieve and you are stopping and redirecting you can just confuse the dog. Let pup get some maturity and a good foundation of doing things right.

When teaching, you want the dog to be successful without any negative corrections. It is up to you to set up the drill to make it easy for pup to accomplish the task.

pup is 10 mths old. consistently doing things right with single marks with no repeated commands will make the advanced training easier. Teach single mark concepts. Cover changes, over the hill marks, across ditches, etc. There are a ton of things you can do with single marks that pup needs to learn. He will handle multiple marks well enough in his first season. He will be learning on every hunting trip. Will you be working pup out of a boat or blind? Single marks out of the boat or blind will help this summer. Think through how the day will go and then practice that routine. That will help out as much as giving the dog retrieving work. Looks like he already loves to play fetch.

Whatever tips and suggestions you use, you will have a nice dog come hunting season just because you are willing to start working now in preparation of the Fall.
Just some thoughts.
Good luck!

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 pm

+1 repeating commands not a good thing dog later only responds to 4th and 5th command or never, you doing a great job keep your chin up.