New lab pup

mattp309

New lab pup

Post by mattp309 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 pm

So I just picked up my lab pup, he has the genetics now its up to me and I want to give him and train him the way he deserves. So he is 9 weeks old I've only had him for 2 days but I've been working on basic cues come,sit, stay and working on his retrieval. He does get excited to play fetch but is easily distracted and doesn't always bring it back, I think this is okay since he is still so young. My plan is to personal train him and maybe take him to an obedience class once I feel like he has that I would like to send him to a hunting kennel, I can't afford to send him away for a year at 600 dollars a month. Just looking for advice on what to work on with him and at what stages. And if anybody knows any good trainers in Kentucky or Tennessee. I just would like to use him for ducks. Thanks

Duckdog

Re: New lab pup

Post by Duckdog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:47 am

Matt,
First off, I'm no expert and I've never played one on tv, but I have trained a couple of labs.

Go buy a good training book...specifically, a retriever training book,...and follow it.
Ease up on the retrieves. Just a couple at a time, and be done. ALWAYS, leave him wanting more.
And, when you do throw something, start off in a hallway where he HAS to come back.
Get REAL excited for him to come to you, and even if he doesn't bring it...praise him anyway for coming to you.

The obedience class is an excellent idea and I highly recommend it, especially if you've never done one. You will learn just as much as the dog.
But, definitely go buy a book!

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:59 am

I ordered a couple books online. Thanks for the advise

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

Matt,
Congratulations on getting a new pup. That's awesome!
What books did you order?

Obedience Class will be good for you both.

Enjoy the journey with the new pup.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 am

If duck hunting is your pursuit find an HRC in your area. Also buying in to a good retriever program ( Evan Graham or Mike Lardy ) is advisable.

One more thing: The command stay is redundant of sit and is unnecessary.

Good luck,
Nate

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 am

Not an expert at all, im a 15 year old training his first dog (which is succesful so far) but dont make the mistake i did, too many retrieves are a bad thing.. My dog retrieved great at about 3-4 months old, and i over did it and then he started getting bored with the game and "testing me" by not bringing it back.
Enjoy the pup and focus on obedience
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks! I'm really excited for us to work together and see him grow into an awesome hunting partner. I bought Tom dokkens book on retrievers. Also thanks for the info on those programs I hadn't seen those before I'm checking those out for sure. Another question I have is he stays inside with us but I have two other dogs as well, just family pets. Obviously he needs to be more focused and disciplined, could there bad habits run off on him? When he gets older should I consider moving him outside?

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 am

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

get a proven training program such as Smartwork by Evan Graham.....for now, very short obedience sessions...only a couple of retrieves per session, lots of socialization, and start walking on a leash....take the pup everywhere (within reason)

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:47 pm

+1 on the obedience class it done wonders for my lab
+1 on finding an hrc club and join even if it is a drive to get there it is worth it
+1 on a good training program and stick with it. patients and consistency will be your best friends
Take it easy on the retrieves I know it is hard and you would like it to be a finished retriever at 3 months of age but you both have a long time together make it fun and enjoy the ride my friend.
Good luck and let the pup be a pup for now,house breaking would be my first target everytime it opens its eyes from a nap take it outside 10 to 15 min after eating do the same and start crate training now you will be thankful later.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:58 pm

This is all great info thanks! I just ordered one of mike lardys programs and am looking for an obedience class for right now. We are working on house breaking and crate training, he's doing pretty good so far.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I'd probably hold off the obedience classes for a few months and work on socializing and positive reinforcement teaching (read that as clicker training :twisted: )

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am

Good luck with your pup!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 am

mattp309 wrote:
image.jpg
Unless its just the picture, that is a big pup!
What size are the sire and bitch?

Nate

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 pm

It depends on if you plan to duck hunt the dog or not. If all you are doing is upland hunting get the dog on birds, birds and then some more birds. Labs around five months old will chase any thing with wings, get them some pheasants and clip the wings and let the pup chase the thing till it cant stand up. My girlfriend did basic obedience with my young lab and it seemed to help him around the house. We hunted my dog his first year without any "real" training, just basic commands. As for duck hunting, you need to follow a training book or dvd step by step, without skipping or breezing over any sections.

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Yea I want to use him for duck hunting. But he is 10 weeks old and weighs 18 pounds. I don't know what big is for lab pups.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 pm

mattp309 wrote:This is all great info thanks! I just ordered one of mike lardys programs .

Lardy is alright, but for a Newb trainer, Smartwork is much easier to understand and follow.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

That's a beautiful pup you've got there!
Having lost my old chocolate buddy this last winter, it sure pulls at the heart strings! :(
Do us a favor, keep us posted on his progress.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:42 pm

18 lbs at ten weeks is pretty good sized, mine was 13 at ten weeks. But he is about sixty eight now and will be down under sixty by the time hunting season starts. Wait till the pup is five or six months old before you start hammering drills into him. I found with my dogs it went a helluva lot smoother when they were old enough to understand what I was trying to get them to do. Get him bird crazy, and crazy about dummies, and then start with the drills next spring. An easy way to start some of the duck hunting "ish" drills around the house is to incorporate either "woah" or "stay" before you give him food, make him wait longer and longer to get his food. Believe me it will help out when you try to steady him when ducks are falling.

mattp309

Post by mattp309 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Thank you! I will, he has been great so far a handful but we love the little man!