Advice for a Newbie

Brushbuddy

Advice for a Newbie

Post by Brushbuddy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 am

I am now a proud owner of an English Springier Spaniel pup,shes about 9 weeks old. I wish to train her into a grouse dog but where I live there are few if any experienced bird dog hunters, that know what their talking about. I've read two books so far just wondering if anyone could give me some training ideas for pups her age. I'm as green as they get to this and could use some guidance from experienced hunters. Can anyone help????

SpringerDude

Re: Advice for a Newbie

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 am

Congratulations on the new pup!

Congratulations on seeking help in getting started.

You will get plenty of ideas from folks. At 9 wks, just start exposing pup to a lot of scenarios. Watch pups reaction and modify what you are doing to keep everything fun. Take for rides in your vehicle. it is perfectly OK to crate the dog and take it with you on short trips - ie.. to the gas station, to the fast food restaurant, to run an errand. Watch out for the heat but don't be afraid to take it somewhere in the evening when the temps are coming down. Socialize pup in a lot of areas. Let it get used to folks.

You can start developing a nice retrieve and delivery. Keep the sessions short and fun. Don't worry about birds and hunting just yet. If you can take pup for a walk in a park or common area where rabbits like to run around in the evening, this would be great to help develop his hunting instinct. But make it a casual walk and let pup investigate the smells. Be patient and let pup work things out and learn. I like to watch a young dog learn how to trail a rabbit.

Teach pup to accept a lead and let pup get used to dragging it around. Don't worry about "heeling" yet.

This is a start.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 am

Congrats on your pup. Post a picture. I won't offer any advice because anything I can say would just be me regurgitating advice I've received on here from those more experienced. They'll come and offer their advice and knowledge shortly. I am in the same boat as you. My first bird dog is now about 4 weeks old and I'm excited to bring home in a few weeks. He is also an English Springer Spaniel. I've been bugging the people here for advice on training a springer so feel free to check out some of my threads as the advice I've received should help you as well. Also check out some of CDN_Cocker's threads as he is currently training an English Cocker and has received good advice as well.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:03 am

Brushbuddy wrote:I am now a proud owner of an English Springier Spaniel pup,shes about 9 weeks old. I wish to train her into a grouse dog but where I live there are few if any experienced bird dog hunters, that know what their talking about. I've read two books so far just wondering if anyone could give me some training ideas for pups her age. I'm as green as they get to this and could use some guidance from experienced hunters. Can anyone help????
Last edited by UplandJim on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 pm

PM Sent.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 pm

You're in the same position as me. I have a now 6 month old english cocker and there are no spaniel folks in my area. Go through the forums, there's lots of good information and feel free to PM me anytime, I am still in the puppy stage so can help you up to this point. My best advice would be to just get it exposed to lots - play with it, take it for walks in the woods, play with other dogs... just have fun. Real training won't start for awhile yet. If you can find another gun dog owner (be it retriever or pointer, whatever) you can learn lots of valuable things as obedience training is the same across the board. It's once you get into the finesse things that they differ for pointers and flushers. Enjoy the ride, they are so much fun! SpringerDude is an EXTREMELY knowledgeable and helpful source on this forum, his advice is worth gold.

EDIT: Should mention - cockers and springers are trained the same way, they just look a little different when doing their thing. Any info for either breed is interchangeable. A lot of springer (or cocker) guys have cockers and vice versa. So if you can't find something pertaining to springer training, look for it in cocker sites... it is the same.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Brushbuddy

Post by Brushbuddy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the help and advice, so far we have been taking layla just about everywhere with us and I've been taking her for walking in the woods pretty often. She know's how to sniff out mushrooms rather well! I'm looking forward to hunting with her one day!!!! Any major does and don'ts I should know about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Layla is gorgeous. Looks like you have yourself a keeper. What a great looking pup.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

"Start as you mean to go on" ... Don't put up with anything now that you won't want to deal with when she's a full grown dog.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

hoppingsp

Post by hoppingsp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 am

Good lookin pup, dont rush things let pup be pup and have fun. Find yourself a good trainer as mentor or to train the dog. take everywhere u can with u create good bond and socialize the pup well I used to make trips to petsmart or other freed stores just for excuse to take dog somewhere. also on serious note make 100% sure u know what u are doing before u gun break the dog or leave it up to a pro. Just from my experience dont make that mistake. When looking for trainer make sure you are comfortable with them. You are giving them ur hard earned money get what u pay for. I screened about 12 trthe ainers before picked mine. Best advice though just have fun.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Brushbuddy wrote:[ ... ]Any major does and don'ts I should know about?
Her toys belong to her, retrieves belong to you.

Don't throw any of her toys for retrieving unless you eventually want her to go out for a retrieve on a bird and have her plop down and tear it to shreds or what ever it is she does with her toys. (tongue-in-cheek of course but you get the idea - toys are for playing with, dummies/birds are to be brought to you)

When you do start retriever training throw no more than 3 or 4 a session. I would start with a balled up pair of socks in a long hallway so she can't go past you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Brushbuddy wrote:I am now a proud owner of an English Springier Spaniel pup,shes about 9 weeks old. I wish to train her into a grouse dog but where I live there are few if any experienced bird dog hunters, that know what their talking about. I've read two books so far just wondering if anyone could give me some training ideas for pups her age. I'm as green as they get to this and could use some guidance from experienced hunters. Can anyone help????
I reply for reference :
Having a springer the golden rule for me has always been 'Everything you do is come into you'!....''Grouse Dog''?
Well ,that's just a species of game!...Your Springer - If it is from 'English Springer Spaniel' lines has the desire to hunt anything!- shaping the behaviour in training for the eventual activity you have in mind, will/should start today!?..at 9 weeks you have a blank canvass. It's up to you how you paint it.
Read as many books as you want, but I guess you won't find any that have written a book about you and your dog?
Now, Seriously!..Gonna educate me on what a ''Grouse dog'' actually is?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Easy on the new guy polmaise. :wink:

Brushbuddy,

Welcome to gun dog forum, and congrats on the new pup. Springer pups are the cutest of the gun dog breeds imo.

Start your new pup on birds as soon as you get the opportunity. Hopefully you already have a source for pigeons and quail. If not start searching now. Try to start your pup on lock wing pigeons before she is 20 weeks old. This is the imprinting stage of development. In my experience a dog that does not get exposure to birds during this critical stage of development will never reach its full potential as a bird dog. I like to begin with a lock wing pigeon. A lock wing can't flap so it won't intimidate the pup, and it won't run away.

During this time you also want to socialize your pup. Get her around people of all ages, shapes and sizes by taking her many places. One of the best ways I've found to introduce a pup to new people is to give them a few treats to feed to the pup. This interaction builds trust and will go a long way toward avoiding fear and apprehension.

Clicker training is a great way to begin teaching your pup desired behaviors. You can teach and shape behaviors from a very young age and without pressure.
Read more about clicker training on this website. www.clickandtreat.com

Nate

Brushbuddy

Post by Brushbuddy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for the advice Nate!!!