Blind Retrieve Training

Double Shot Banks

Blind Retrieve Training

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Here is a training session we have been working on, its been about 2 and a half weeks since we started, thought id share.
Isaac and Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14b9-y8J_k
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

EvanG

Re: Blind Retrieve Training

Post by EvanG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:39 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:Here is a training session we have been working on, its been about 2 and a half weeks since we started, thought id share.
Isaac and Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14b9-y8J_k
Isaac,

Your exercise appears to be 3-handed casting. Banks appears to understand his 3 basic casts pretty well at this point. What I'm not sure of is how you got to this point. I would be glad to break down the performance if you like? I assume this is shot with a Go Pro?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 am

Say in once.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 am

EvanG wrote:Isaac,

Your exercise appears to be 3-handed casting. Banks appears to understand his 3 basic casts pretty well at this point. What I'm not sure of is how you got to this point. I would be glad to break down the performance if you like? I assume this is shot with a Go Pro?

EvanG
yes, shot with a GoPro, what do you mean you would like to break down the performance? If you want to expain something you sure can, send me a pm
Isaac and Banks

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 am

I thought it looked good. But, there was way to many commands and way to much talking going on. 1 command and enforce. Basically the dog hears "over" Bla Bla Bla bla.
looks like he is having a good time.
now, get a roll of duct tape. :P

BTW, I love that a youngman is being mature enough to take control of his dog. Good for you. Take what advise from this you need and file 13 the rest. :wink:
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 am

Munster wrote:I thought it looked good. But, there was way to many commands and way to much talking going on. 1 command and enforce. Basically the dog hears "over" Bla Bla Bla bla.
looks like he is having a good time.
now, get a roll of duct tape. :P

BTW, I love that a youngman is being mature enough to take control of his dog. Good for you. Take what advise from this you need and file 13 the rest. :wink:
I have a problem with that don't i :roll:
Usually not talking, just explaining for the video, you get the point.
Isaac and Banks

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:28 am

roaniecowpony wrote:Say in once.
Im not sure what you mean?

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

See above. You give the same command too many times in order to get compliance once. That tends to train your dog to become deaf to your commands.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Talking too much is a common problem. You are in good company needing to work on that. Many of us either have or still struggle with it.
Happy to see you working your dog and going for the handling games. Be aware retriever people are tough on newbies. You hardly ever get a "good job" or "nice work" unless you have listed your "program" and FC titled dogs in your post somewhere. Some of them mean well and are trying to help, and I think some are just critical for the sake of it. So don't let it get you off base.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:29 pm

mountaindogs wrote:Talking too much is a common problem. You are in good company needing to work on that. Many of us either have or still struggle with it.
Happy to see you working your dog and going for the handling games. Be aware retriever people are tough on newbies. You hardly ever get a "good job" or "nice work" unless you have listed your "program" and FC titled dogs in your post somewhere. Some of them mean well and are trying to help, and I think some are just critical for the sake of it. So don't let it get you off base.
Thanks, i do not expect my dog to be show perfect, because when your in a duck blind no ones looking at the dog when your shootin ducks, as long as he does his job.
Also, i can name a dozen hunters around here who train there dog to associate gunfire with birds, and retrieve and litterally thats it.
A friend of mines dog wont bring the bird back, unless you make smoke come from his ears with the e-collar, its a shame really.
As long as he is good company hes a dog for me! everything else is a bonus
Isaac and Banks

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Thanks, i do not expect my dog to be show perfect, because when your in a duck blind no ones looking at the dog when your shootin ducks, as long as he does his job.
As long as he is good company hes a dog for me! everything else is a bonus
Isaac and Banks
You were not teaching "blind retrieves". You were teaching 3-handed casting.
If you talk that much in the duck blind, your dog won't have anything to retrieve. :wink:

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Del Lolo wrote: You were not teaching "blind retrieves". You were teaching 3-handed casting.
If you talk that much in the duck blind, your dog won't have anything to retrieve. :wink:
Well, i guess im teaching him how to find blind retrieves, same difference\
Isaac and Banks

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Ur going to have fun this fall with him. Keep working it.
Thanks for sharing

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Nicely done. Good looking lab. You have a right to be proud. I would hunt with you.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Isaac,

It looks like your moving along with casting drills, but what happened to the place board idea?

I think if you give the board a chance, you'll find it will clean up his retrieve considerably. It can also extinguish that parading that occurs at the end of each delivery. This in turn will limit the need to give requests to the dog. He'll soon learn to anticipate returning back to the board, and be in the proper position for the next retrieve. This can all be fairly easily done without any verbal cues, with a little practice. When the desired behavior is a conditioned response, you can remove the board.

Nate

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 am

Apparently, I didn't spend enough time on casting before and when I send my dog with me further back from him he was confusing right handed back with right over. So I went back to casting and found that he was so now accustomed to heel position he struggled with straight fronts and when I demanded a decent front he started sloppy bumper handling...SO I went back to the place board and his front was again clear to him and bumper hold was fine again. We can get down to fixing why we returned to casting and not overwhelm him with so much. Once he has the casting down I will likely remove the place board and clean up the front and hold to be sure its there too. Then we will hopefully be back on track. After adding distance which was where the troubles showed themselves before....
All that to say agree with the board. Just helps narrow what your dogs focus is on.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Since your first post DoubleBarrel GunDogs, i have started place training and he knows place. Im now just transitioning that into heel so dont think i ignored you :lol:
Isaac and Banks