Lab Puppy

Jlhutnick

Lab Puppy

Post by Jlhutnick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi mt name is Jenny and i just got a 13 week old femal black lab puppy. I am interested in duck hunting with her although i have absolutly no eperience in training dogs. I was just looking for some advice on what to do to get started. Should I send her to a training program? Should I try and train her myself? Does anybody know any trainers in the central florida area?

I have been trying to teach her basic obedience commands such as sit, stay, and basic retrieving but its seems like she is uninterested in learning at this point.
I have bought a Gun Dog training video from bass pro by Tom Dokken and it is pretty broad.

Im up for any advice!

Thank You

Del Lolo

Re: Lab Puppy

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 pm

IMO, you can't beat the SmartWork series of books and DVDs.
They are very "newb trainer" friendly and very complete.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:26 am

We've made every effort to assemble the most detailed, easy to follow program. Please let me know anytime I can be of help.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am

There's a thousand ways to skin a cat, and train a dog.
I have heard good things about Smartworks, but myself am following the $10 book by Tom Dokken. Training my first dog now too.
You can check out some videos i posted, dogs doing good so far.
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 pm

you get what you pay for. Is Dokken on this forum following up or helping?

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:you get what you pay for. Is Dokken on this forum following up or helping?
Your right, he is not. Obviously
But that doesn't mean you should go out and find what costs the most and buy it, thats why he is asking us and i simply said i had good luck with Dokken's book and it was recommended to me from someone on the forum.
Isaac and Banks

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:you get what you pay for. Is Dokken on this forum following up or helping?
But that doesn't mean you should go out and find what costs the most and buy it,

thats why he is asking us
Isaac and Banks
Brazos is right.
Double Shot : That means you shouold get the best (most or least expensive is irrevelant) and go with it
Do you really think that "Jenny" is a guy?

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Your all right, go buy smartworks if you want a good hunting dog.
But the thing i do know is no matter what program you have its the time, and effort you put in that makes a dog.

I am totally clueless to who "Jenny" is
Isaac and Banks

808allday

Post by 808allday » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Congrats on your pup! Unless you really don't have the time to spend with your dog to do training I will always suggest training the dog yourself. Training your dog is kind of counter intuitive in the way that you actually need to train yourself to train the dog if you want the dog to succeed. Let me encourage you to do as much research and reading/DVD watching as possible. The Dokken books and DVD's are what I started with but I really like and recommend the retriever fever series. There are tons of good dvd's out there, I would suggest reading up on the trainer and finding one who's system you like best. (Although most are pretty similar, but presentation can mean a world of difference.) If you are looking for a professional trainer for help I've found that if you email or call the nearest lab kennels they have some very good, sound trainers they can recommend and many top breeders are also trainers. Hope some of this helps and good luck! Having a lab is one of the best, memorable experiences I've had with dogs

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote: I am totally clueless to who "Jenny" is

Isaac and Banks
Jenny is not a guy's name.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:38 am

Jenny,

Welcome to the site - from one gal to another. First thing - find a local retriever training club - you'll learn a lot (probably what not to do too) and you'll have access to training facilities and supplies. As for programs, I have used the Smartworks series successfully with our newest chessie. The bonus to using that series is that Evan is on this site and he very much does respond to request if you get stuck on some part of the program. It is a (to steal another poster's description) modern, sequential training aid for you to use. It was easy for me to follow.

Isaac makes a good point - it's sure a lot about how much time and energy you want to put into the dog. If you enjoy working with your dog, then you should train him yourself. If it becomes a chore and you're not really interested in the process, then by all means, find a good retriever trainer (doesn't matter where they are - dogs and people can easily travel) that you share a training philosophy with. Send him there and let them have the dog long enough to get results.

Good luck with your pup! And don't hesitate to ask questions on here.

Elsa

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am

Del Lolo wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote: I am totally clueless to who "Jenny" is

Isaac and Banks
Jenny is not a guy's name.
I understand....i apologize for not looking in the paragraph to find the name, i looked at all the usernames and had no clue who you were referring to as jenny. Again i'm sorry i didn't see who you were talking about.
Isaac and Banks

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 am

get Smartwork!!! best money you will ever invest in your pup!!!! for now, just two short 5 minute training sessions daily....work on sit....maybe a couple of controlled retrieves in a hallway.....use paint roller or rolled up sock....get the dog excited, but don't over do it!!! take the dog for walks on lead and plenty of socialization...also, a lot can be accomplished at feeding time, such as sit, here, kennel, etc. You may not think your pup is learning but it is...trust me....just be consistent and above all....let the dog be a pup!!! Good luck

asimon

Post by asimon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Is it really that big of a deal if he accidently called Jenny a "he". Seems to me like there is a lot of irrelevant nit picking going on.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

asimon wrote:Is it really that big of a deal if he accidently called Jenny a "he". Seems to me like there is a lot of irrelevant nit picking going on.
I did not read the paragraph recently when i referred to jenny as "he" and had to read all the posts to figure out what i had done,

They were just guiding my to success

Isaac and Banks

armand

Post by armand » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm

best of luck however you decide.