Remote Bird Launcher

RichK

Remote Bird Launcher

Post by RichK » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Which remote bird launcher would everyone here recommend? I'd like to start with one but would also like the option to add multiple launchers to the setup.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Remote Bird Launcher

Post by topher40 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Hands down Dogtra, spen the money now instead of spending less and then end up still buying a dogtra in the end.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:42 pm

+1 on the Dogtras.

I have a pair of Dogtras that are over 15 years old and still going strong. I had to make a trip to radio shack to swap out batteries about five or six years ago but that has been it. I think the battery in one is getting weak...seems not to be holding a charge too well, so I'll proably swap it out this winter.

The only time they fail to fire is when I forget to turn them on. :D :D

I was going to buy a third unit, but they have changed their equipment around and the old ones will not work with the new ones. Disappointed, but not surprised.

BTW - whatever units you wind up getting, I strongly suggest you mount the launcher unit on a piece of 1/2" exterior plywood that is about an inch bigger all around than the unit. The plywood base will do two things. First and foremost, it will keep the electronics off the ground, minimizing the possibility of getting the electronics wet and subsequent malfunctions. Second, it adds weight and stability to the unit, so it will stay put when the launcher is fired. You can even prop the unit up on an angle to help direct the flight of the bird. You can also install an eye screw which will make it easy to hang the units up on a wall when not in use and provide a place to tie a rope so you can carry the launcher easily.

RayG

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:25 pm

RayGubernat wrote:+1 on the Dogtras.

I have a pair of Dogtras that are over 15 years old and still going strong. I had to make a trip to radio shack to swap out batteries about five or six years ago but that has been it. I think the battery in one is getting weak...seems not to be holding a charge too well, so I'll proably swap it out this winter.

The only time they fail to fire is when I forget to turn them on. :D :D

I was going to buy a third unit, but they have changed their equipment around and the old ones will not work with the new ones. Disappointed, but not surprised.

BTW - whatever units you wind up getting, I strongly suggest you mount the launcher unit on a piece of 1/2" exterior plywood that is about an inch bigger all around than the unit. The plywood base will do two things. First and foremost, it will keep the electronics off the ground, minimizing the possibility of getting the electronics wet and subsequent malfunctions. Second, it adds weight and stability to the unit, so it will stay put when the launcher is fired. You can even prop the unit up on an angle to help direct the flight of the bird. You can also install an eye screw which will make it easy to hang the units up on a wall when not in use and provide a place to tie a rope so you can carry the launcher easily.

RayG
I use 2" pink styrofoam, to keep them off the ground and give it a little bit of cushion.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

I like my Dogtras.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I've got the Lion Country traps and haven't had any trouble with them, about 5 yrs now. I've got two but I think you can get them set up for three. I think it was a Dogtra set I used once, the one that open's at the back to stick in a bird? Didn't care for that trick but the trap worked fine. One of them has a hawk scream or something built in, wouldn't waste my money on it, it's designed to sell to people.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Just got a lion country supply launcher. Virtually no noise with it, stable, and works great so far. Much better price than the dogtra. Time will tell how it holds up but so far I am very pleased with it.

Legband

Post by Legband » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Afraid I'm a dogtra guy as well.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Guys -

Had to add this.

Battery on my Dogtra #1 launcher croaked. Took it apart and pu;lled out a 4.8V NiCad. Went to Radio Shack and they did not have a battery pack in that configuration.

Went online and started searching, but was having trouble getting the correct connector.

Soooo... I called the Dogtra customer service folks. They do not carry the 4.8V battery packs any longer. hey said it was replaced by a 7.2V battery pack. When I questioned whether there were modifications necessary to the unit to accept the higher voltage the rep said no modifications were necessary. She was able to pull up the repair history of my other launcher unit(#6) which I sent in to them in 2003. That unit had a 7.2V battery installed and has been working fine ever since.

I asked the rep about getting an additional launcher. She said that the new units are based on new designs and electronics and not compatible with the older units...which I knew. I figure the next thing was going to be..."you need to upgrade your old system...."

But then she surprised the heck out of me.

She said that if I could identify the precise serial number and series of my existing launcher units, the company would be able to set up a launcher module that would work with the old transmitter. I pulled the numbers and letters off the units and this morning, UPS delivered a 7.2V battery for my existing launcher and a brandy new launcher that works with the old system. It is configured to the #3 spot on the system. The beeper locator sounds different but it works perfectly.

Now I have 3 launchers that work off the same, existing transmitter.

Now THAT is some pretty heavy duty customer service. I was impressed.

Thought I should share.

RayG