Intro to birds ?

GaFrenchBrit11

Intro to birds ?

Post by GaFrenchBrit11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Hey guys, new to the site and new to training and looking for a little help. I recently added a hunting partner of my own a French Brittany. At 14 weeks I thought it was time to introduce him to birds. Using the perfect start perfect finish method we went out with a few quail. Well now my problem came and it wasn't Scout he loves them it was the birds. Only 4 of the 10 I released would fly off so I I'm sure you know he caught all the runners and would point a one. My question is do I just need to make sure he is on some better birds from here on or did I start something that's gone be hard to stop?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Intro to birds ?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Switch your bird work to pigeon and don't forget to use a CC.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Yep switch to pigeons. Let him give chase too. He wont chase them far at only 14 weeks old.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:02 am

You ought to think about attending one of the Perfection seminars - they are really worth the commitment of 4 days. Met some nice folks from TX and AK at that last one over there!

As for the quail, I'd do as suggested and get homers instead - they fly better, you can reuse them forever and they are hardy if the dog accidently catches them. A small coop is all you need - 6 birds or so would suffice. You've not really messed him up by letting him catch a bird (though I always prefer they don't) - he's a youngster and as long as you plan to prevent it from happening from now on, you'll be good to go.

GaFrenchBrit11

Post by GaFrenchBrit11 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. I had plans to start and stay with pigeons but the odd thing is quail are so easy to come by due to a friends near by farm.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah,

Quail may be easy to come by, but pen reared birds don't fly worth a hoot and your pup will likely catch a bunch of them - and they usually don't fly off like pigeons do, so even if you get a decent flush, it'll likely be too close and the dog will run in and grab it. I hate training with pen reared quail!

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:41 pm

[quote="RoostersMom"]You ought to think about attending one of the Perfection seminars - they are really worth the commitment of 4 days. Met some nice folks

X2

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

duckn66 wrote:Yep switch to pigeons. Let him give chase too. He wont chase them far at only 14 weeks old.

I suggest you also card the pigeons so you can use them again and again. Save a few bucks :)

GaFrenchBrit11

Post by GaFrenchBrit11 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm in the process now of working on trapping and building a coop. The advice is appreciated. Exactly why I joined. Thanks!!