GSP Pup Help/Question

WISCO_GSP

GSP Pup Help/Question

Post by WISCO_GSP » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:01 pm

I am not trying to start a new topic about puppy training but I have not seen this discussed or asked yet. I have a 9.5wk old GSP puppy. Since I brought her home at 7.5wks I have started basic obedience training with a clicker (sit, heel, here, etc..) as well as entry level prey drive training and excersise (retreiving, simple wing & bumper exercises). She has been a blast to train with and catches on quickly. I have been making sure I take it slow and let her be a pup and develop and explore her curiosities while we are in my condo or the field/woods and on walks around my community.
The issue I am having is that when I take her away out of the controled environments that I train her in she completely ignores all training that she has learned. Granted she has only been through the excersises a couple times each. My concern is that it is a night and day difference. In the field/woods she will heel and come on command. When I am taking her out to the bathroom and walk her around my community she will pull the whole time on the leash (no e collar yet) and completely ignore all commands.
Have any of you had this experience. I know she is still very young but I want to make sure she is consistent no matter what the environment is.

Please let me know any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

whatsnext

Re: GSP Pup Help/Question

Post by whatsnext » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm

The pup is not even 3 months old,stop worrying about obedience away from controlled situations and just socialize the pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:31 pm

WElcome to the forum.

"The issue I am having is that when I take her away out of the controled environments that I train her in she completely ignores all training that she has learned."quote

Perfectly normal even for a much older dog. Every bird is different; every place is different. They do learn to transition. Just let pup "be" in the field ; say as little as possible if you want independence to develop. LOts of time for obedience in the field.

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/dog-train ... pment.html

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:32 pm

TOO much obedience at Too young of age can hinder a dogs independence & you could end up with more of a robot then hunting dog.Then again some seem to want that.
My advice would be to slow down let the pup be a pup & grow up some.Most of us don't recommend teaching a pointing dog to sit until they are hunting & pointing.
Good Luck!!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:48 pm

WISCO_GSP wrote:I am not trying to start a new topic about puppy training but I have not seen this discussed or asked yet. I have a 9.5wk old GSP puppy. Since I brought her home at 7.5wks I have started basic obedience training with a clicker (sit, heel, here, etc..) as well as entry level prey drive training and excersise (retreiving, simple wing & bumper exercises). She has been a blast to train with and catches on quickly. I have been making sure I take it slow and let her be a pup and develop and explore her curiosities while we are in my condo or the field/woods and on walks around my community.
The issue I am having is that when I take her away out of the controled environments that I train her in she completely ignores all training that she has learned. Granted she has only been through the excersises a couple times each. My concern is that it is a night and day difference. In the field/woods she will heel and come on command. When I am taking her out to the bathroom and walk her around my community she will pull the whole time on the leash (no e collar yet) and completely ignore all commands.
Have any of you had this experience. I know she is still very young but I want to make sure she is consistent no matter what the environment is.

Please let me know any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Buy and read both books by Joan Bailey, she says not to even train until 9 months, just run them in the woods. There is some merit to this, though I train right away, the thing is that you have a long way to go and should not panic now. My pup does the same thing sometimes, give her 15 to 45 minutes to run free at the new location, this will allow her to get her curiosity out, then she might be better focused, and no more than 10minutes of training, then more play. Give it time..

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I think you're expecting too much of such a young pup. Continue your controlled training, but don't ask the pup to comply out of the controlled setting. At 9 weeks you still have an infant on your hands. Let the pup have fun and grow up. You have a lot of years left to train this pup. Have fun with it. Take it for lots of walks and let it get into lots of different settings and situations. That's important training as well and more appropriate for youngsters.