Boykin

labman626

Boykin

Post by labman626 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 am

I cannot get my boykin to transition to the ground. Any tips? She will pick it up sometimes but that is it. I continually have to force her. I have been at it for a month.

EvanG

Re: Boykin

Post by EvanG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:03 am

labman626 wrote:I cannot get my boykin to transition to the ground. Any tips? She will pick it up sometimes but that is it. I continually have to force her. I have been at it for a month.
Can you post a video of a session or two?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 am

A video would certainly be ideal. If this isn't possible however, you'll need to provide more details. Is the dog collar conditioned? Are you using the ear pinch or toe hitch? Is the dog reliably picking up the object used from the bench or only from your hand? etc... It is very difficult to give good feedback without clear and specific details.

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:A video would certainly be ideal. If this isn't possible however, you'll need to provide more details. Is the dog collar conditioned? Are you using the ear pinch or toe hitch? Is the dog reliably picking up the object used from the bench or only from your hand? etc... It is very difficult to give good feedback without clear and specific details.

Nate
My apologies labman,

I found the Ear Pinch thread that you posted on. I didn't realize that you had posted on this before now.

Good luck,

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 am

labman626 wrote:I cannot get my boykin to transition to the ground. Any tips? She will pick it up sometimes but that is it. I continually have to force her. I have been at it for a month.
When you posted a year ago. Were you referring to the same dog? If not there appears to be a pattern forming here that is clearly not the dogs fault. You may want to have a pro evaluate your training methods.

Now I'm done.

Nate

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:38 am

Transition to the ground. You mean pick the object up off the ground?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!