trouble with command

chaz

trouble with command

Post by chaz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

I have a 8 month old yellow lab that i have been working with on basic commands. She does well with sit, stay, down and place. It is "come" that seems to be a battle. I started with a 6 foot leash with choker collar. she did well so i moved up to a 30 foot check chord with choker. She also does well with that. When i take her out and don't use either she pretends like she doen't know i am there. I guess what i am wondering at what point or age will she grasp this? I have not started to train her with the E collar. Is there anything i can do to reinforce the "come" training?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: trouble with command

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Begin to over lay the e collar with the check cord ...your dog has learned that you do not have control once the check cord is off.
You stated with the cord the dog listens ...
here is how i view and prep my dogs for the e collar http://www.kninebirddog.com/understandi ... ollar.html
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm

The e-collar is an extension of the check cord. My 5 mo old pup knew the command "come" and would comply 100% of the time when she thought there were treats involved. But when she wanted to avoid the command intentionally, it was time to condition her to the e-collar. Now she comes nearly 100% of the time without any hesitation. The e-collar, used correctly, is your answer. Follow a quality collar condition program. I used Evan Graham's. Simple to do. It works!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Another thing you could try if your dog loves treats is: when you have her on a check collar, say come, reel her in, and give her a treat. After she realizes she'll get a treat try it with out the check cord and give her a treat. Once she is good in that spot, start over with the check cord in a new location, once she is good in that location, start over with the check cord in a different location. Once she's good coming in all locations without the check cord, slowly cut back on the treats---every other time, then every third time, until you eventually have her weaned off treats.
I like to convert the dog from a check cord to an e collar like K9 says, but the above way is just another way to do it. :roll:

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm

kninebirddog wrote:here is how i view and prep my dogs for the e collar http://www.kninebirddog.com/understandi ... ollar.html
knine, that's a really nice take on the e-collar and its use - well done! Hope the OP heeds what you've written - valuable stuff.

MG

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Agree. Nice article, Knine

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 pm

First thanks for all the advice! this is a real nice site! i am glad i found it. I do use the treats with check chord. like i said as long as i use the check chord she is good with the "come" command. i think the e collar link is excellent and will start there.

thanks again!

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:16 pm

I would give the dog some quality time with the command lead before starting the e-collar. Rick Smith has a seminar in Minnesota in June. If you intend to follow knines advice, this seminar would be time and money well spent. Perfect timing for you and your dog.

Nate

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 pm

I use an e collar for my setters ( sometimes needed at long distances for sure), but I also have JRTs and don't use an e collar. They come when called wherever they are - one is 10 months old now. I've found that calling once , in the house, then the yard , and then bigger areas and getting up, or going every time they don't come, and getting them , works. too. Once they know that you are going to follow up every time, training moves along quicker.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 pm

You have gotten some great advice, only thing I can add is my belief in training, is to never give a command that you can't instantly correct, by either a check cord or an e collar. I see guys all the time call there dog, the dog doesn't come, guy throws hands up in air and usually starts cussing, loses his cool, and then when the dog finally comes he punishes the dog. What has the dog learned here, never to come back. One thing that is always mentioned by most trainers, patience, remain calm, and be consistent.

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks BigJake! i am laughing as i am typing because i know that feeling of throwing hands up in the air. Thankfully i did enough reading before i started to know about always remaining calm. It is not the dogs fault if they are not properly trained. I will remain patient and consistent ! Both dog and I are learning as we go!

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I would give the dog some quality time with the command lead before starting the e-collar. Rick Smith has a seminar in Minnesota in June. If you intend to follow knines advice, this seminar would be time and money well spent. Perfect timing for you and your dog.

Nate

Thanks DoubleBarrel! Do you have any contact and schedule information for Mr. Smith's seminars that he holds in Minnesota?
your advice is appreciated!

thanks again

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm

chaz -

You might try something like this:

Sit or stay the dog, with the checkcord on and walk off. Issue the come command and pop the cord. When the dog gets to you, give it a treat and a pat. Then go reposition the dog and repeat. If the dog starts to you on the command...do not pop the cord. After a couple of reps, reposition, gently unclip the checkcord, go about half the distance, turn, bend down and call the dog with open arms. If he comes to you...treat, pat and verbal praise.

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

chaz wrote:
DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I would give the dog some quality time with the command lead before starting the e-collar. Rick Smith has a seminar in Minnesota in June. If you intend to follow knines advice, this seminar would be time and money well spent. Perfect timing for you and your dog.

Nate
www.huntsmith.com

June 7-8
Rick Smith Instructor

5690 E. 230th St.
Elko, MN 55020-9550
High Fly'n Kennels Tim Horan
(612)310-6101
(763)559-7257

Thanks DoubleBarrel! Do you have any contact and schedule information for Mr. Smith's seminars that he holds in Minnesota?
your advice is appreciated!

thanks again
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 pm

2014 dates /locations for "foundation" seminars

http://www.huntsmith.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 pm

2014 dates /locations for "foundation" seminars

http://www.huntsmith.com/

If I know my shortforms for the States, Minnesota looks like June 7-8

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm

thanks all! I will be caling for my spot in that class!