charging

NorCalGSP

charging

Post by NorCalGSP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 am

I have a rescued gsp who I have hunted with for the last 3 seasons mostly for quail and phez.He locks up hard on quail and does pretty good on the wild phez we hunt but yesterday we went to a club to train with a new friend of mine and used chukar. Upon approach he gave a very fast flash point then proceeded to charge in and bust the birds. I was wondering if anybodys dogreacts differently to different birds or if we just had an off day due to lack of bird exposure this last season (ca). I am a novice in the gundog world so any advice is appreciated.

Gooseman07

charging

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 am

You should have corrected the behavior on the FIRST bird he did that two and he would have gotten the idea.

NorCalGSP

Re: charging

Post by NorCalGSP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am

We only worked two birds. I didnt shoot at either. Thus not giving him a reward. How else could I correct this.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm

NorCalGSP wrote:We only worked two birds. I didnt shoot at either. Thus not giving him a reward. How else could I correct this.
Some dogs do not have the same respect for penraised birds as they do for wild birds...mostly because the wild birds demand respect and the penraised ones do not. The dog needs to understand that the same rules apply to both.

One thing you could have done is to stop the dog after the first bird and then go and stand the dog up, right about where the dog pointed. Then style it up, gently, but firmly. You might also push on the dog's back end forcing the dog to dig in and resist the forward pressure. Step back a half dozen paces, fold your arms and watch the dog for a good honest four or five minutes. If the dog so much as moves a toenail, go back to it, style it up. Say absolutely nothing all throughout this exercise. When the dog has stood there for several minutes...walk up in front of the dog and simulate a flush, then walk back behind the dog and wait another half minute or so. If the dog moves...at all...style it up wait a half minute or so and come in front perhaps from the other side.

Oh yeah...say absolutely nothing at all to the dog during this whole exercise. Don't be angry or impatient or rough with the dog. Just patient and persistent. When you put your hands on the dog to style it up...gentle but firm and matter of fact.

When all done, release the dog with a pat on the flank, maybe a verbal OK and go find another bird.

RayG

If the dog has to stand there for good long while,

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks I will give that a few tries.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 pm

I have found that dogs react differently to different birds. The first time one of mine was on pheasant busting up and taking flight, you'd think she had no training at all. Some folk train on pigeon , quail and then go to a trial where chuckar are used , and wonder what has happened to their dog. It often is the wild or pen - raised difference, but I've found different birds can also show "further training needed ". :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:02 pm

He thought he could catch it ! once he learns he can't there is no reason for him to road in on them, just make sure he don't catch um

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:23 am

My pointer would not point the first few groups of sharpies we ran into, now he is great. Still wont point a sage grouse.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 am

I've been moving my dogs into woodcock this week....we've never hunted woodcock. When they bump a bird I bark WHOA ! and fire the blank gun....doesn't take many to get the point (pun intended).
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno