Whistle Training Exercises

chaz

Whistle Training Exercises

Post by chaz » Sat May 03, 2014 12:22 pm

I am looking for tutorials for whistle training my nine month old yl? Any links or someone who can tell me about getting started would be great. thanks

RichK

Re: Whistle Training Exercises

Post by RichK » Sat May 03, 2014 2:51 pm

I started by using the verbal command and then just overlaying it with the whistle.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I have been using that method for the last week. If i use the voice commands she "sits and stays" with verbal commands and i can walk away 50 ft and yell "come" and she comes. I know there is no time table for this training but she picked up voice commands so quickly that i can't understand why she is not picking whistle commands. I am saying sit then right after 1 toot on the whistle. For come i use 3 quick toots. Unless i yell come the toots have no affect. Am i doing something wrong or is it just a matter of repetion til she understands? thanks

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm

chaz wrote:I have been using that method for the last week. If i use the voice commands she "sits and stays" with verbal commands and i can walk away 50 ft and yell "come" and she comes. I know there is no time table for this training but she picked up voice commands so quickly that i can't understand why she is not picking whistle commands. I am saying sit then right after 1 toot on the whistle. For come i use 3 quick toots. Unless i yell come the toots have no affect. Am i doing something wrong or is it just a matter of repetion til she understands? thanks

Note: I am not a pro trainer, so take my advice for what you paid for it.

Did you go back to using the check cord when over laying the commands.

*whistle x 2*, "here" and a tug on the check cord at the same time. This is how I did it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue May 06, 2014 6:03 am

Try moving back in to just a few yards from the dog. Use the same visual cues with your hands/arms/body as you did with the vocal command but use the whistled recall command in conjunction with the visual signals.. For the first few times I might offer the dog an edible reward, a treat, along with physical and vocal praise. Dogs usually understand that very well. Once the required response is in place, gradually omit to give any treats other than praise.
When the dog will recall to whistle with no added vocal command at close distances begin to move further away from the dog.

It should be kept in mind while training this to vary between recalling the dog from the sit/stay position and walking back to the dog to praise while it remains in the sit position. Failure to do this can result in the dog beginning to move back in towards you without waiting to be recalled.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 am

How are you formalizing your fundamental obedience commands? "Here", "Sit"; how do you enforce those commands?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 pm

All training i do with the check cord. She has mastered the "sit/stay" and "come". it is just getting her to switch to the whisle command. I did use the hand signal with the " come" with the whistle and that seems to help. it sounds like just keep repeating until its sticks with them. How long should i spend on a session like this with a 9 month old?