Puppy Question

RichK

Puppy Question

Post by RichK » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:47 pm

At what age is it safe to start taking a puppy for walks/hikes?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Question

Post by shags » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Depends on the cover and how far you intend to walk/hike.

My eight week old puppies go for 15-20 minute spins around the lawn, or the mowed or overgrazed parts of the pasture. As they get bigger, they go longer in heavier cover. I don't let them get over-tired or overwhelmed to where they want to quit.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I've only raise a relative few litter's of pup's. we took them out once they were getting around good in the house on nice days, never away from home until we got them two shots, 6wks and 8 wks. they decided how long they would stay out and where they would go. Down on mowed grass but some taller grass not to far away if they wanted to go over, they seldom did at that age. They will go into taller stuff when they are ready if you just give them the opertunity.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am

Are you asking as far as health is concerned? If so, then I would say after it's had it's second set of shots. Ask your vet about the incidence of parvo and distemper in your area. I'd avoid dog parks and other area with heavy dog traffic to avoid parvo. For sure, if you work the dog in heavy cover, where you can't see the game it may encounter, waiting til its had a rabies shot might be a good idea.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm

shiloh123 wrote:Are you asking as far as health is concerned? If so, then I would say after it's had it's second set of shots. Ask your vet about the incidence of parvo and distemper in your area. I'd avoid dog parks and other area with heavy dog traffic to avoid parvo. For sure, if you work the dog in heavy cover, where you can't see the game it may encounter, waiting til its had a rabies shot might be a good idea.
I was asking as far as what can a puppy put out in terms of walking distance without over doing it. I do quite a bit of backpacking and camping to prepare for hunting season and it's always great to be able to take the dog(s) along when possible.

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:08 pm

I've always taken my dogs with me hiking and on overnight pack trips. When my first pup was real young, I kept him on a check cord. My current pup will be about 6-7 months old when I have a couple overnight trips planned. But, I also bought a Alpha. I'm not sure I'd be so confident without it.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat May 10, 2014 12:03 pm

After shots and working on a leash.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat May 10, 2014 12:03 pm

After shots and working on a leash.