Pigeons and dogs

kstater

Pigeons and dogs

Post by kstater » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 pm

I have a pigeon coop and my 1yo brittany loves to chase them when they are out. When she was younger I thought I was building drive by letting her do it. She loves hunting them now but I am afraid I am teaching her to chase after the flush. For those who have pigeons, do you keep the dog put up when they are out or just let them chase? Is it time to curb this habit with the e-collar?

aulrich

Re: Pigeons and dogs

Post by aulrich » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:59 pm

I keep mine in while I fly the birds, or use them in a drill and they are usually trapped once they fly back. Mine seem to trap faster if I make them fly at least a few miles to get home. I designed my trap wrong so with a good jump he could get them off the board.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:22 pm

I would think it depends on the age /training of the dog. Seems to me that would be great for a pup learning he can't catch birds. Once I started training him to be steady though, I wouldn't want him chasing.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Don't worry about it, They won't let her catch them. They will teach her she usually can't. I say usually because now and then they do catch one. My dog's have been out and around the pigeons all their lives. /Squirt ignores them and Bodie point's them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

kstater

Post by kstater » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:25 am

I have 80 acres with the coop in one corner but she can still see them flying from just about anywhere...we are in Kansas. lol Sounds like the best combination of ideas might be to keep her or the birds penned until we can get her more steady on her points then maybe it will not matter as much if they are both out. Thanks for the input!

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 pm

One thing I have done in the past, let them all fly and near the end bring the dog out and stand him on the whoa board till they all have trapped. I think the DU youtube channel has a drill where they sit a dog down in a fairly large flight pen and chase the birds from one side to the other. :D

kstater

Post by kstater » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Good idea I may try that some too.