First time trainer looking for tips

GSP_Uplander

Post by GSP_Uplander » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Hello everyone, I have a 6 month old GSP, my first dog. First off I will admit, I've been somewhat busy with some personal stuff going on so I haven't been working with her as much as I'd like.

Anyways, I've worked with her a few times on a grouse dead wing, had her on point one day for a total of about 3 times, but that's it. All she really does is either sit down and stare at it or just straight up chases it. Bird season is only a couple months away and at this rate she's nowhere near ready to be hunted.

Just looking for some tips on getting her on point. I don't know a thing about quartering, retrieving, or anything!! :|

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 am

Well to start, a bird wing isn't a bird. What you've been doing won't help so get real birds. It takes live birds to make a bird dog. Second, this post comes up nearly every week. Look at the different programs everyone mentions (perfect start is most common) and get that and follow it. Also, use the search bar and look at other threads. Lots of info is around.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

twistedoak

Re: First time trainer looking for tips

Post by twistedoak » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 am

I commend people who want to train their own dog.
but if you never trained a dog before its not always the best way to go.

even with all the books a DVDs out their ,its not the same as spending a night at the holiday inn express :roll:
I'm also not a fan of sending your dog off to learn to hunt with another person.

find yourself a trainer that works with YOU and your dog.
with a little guidance from a pro and a lot of effort on your part you can have more then a dog that hunts.
you can have a hunting partner

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:08 am

I would look at joining a NAVHDA club in your area. They usually have training days 1 or 2 days a month. That way you could get someone to help mentor you along with helping train your dog. These clubs do have access to live training birds. A lot of times you can find someone in the club that trains during the week to help you get your dog birdy and train. My 2nd choice would be getting the perfect start/perfect finish videos and that will show you how to get your dog birdy, getting your dog to point, and introducing the gun. Good luck with your pup. You might want to post where you live and maybe someone close can help you train.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:35 pm

GSP_Uplander wrote:Hello everyone, I have a 6 month old GSP, my first dog. First off I will admit, I've been somewhat busy with some personal stuff going on so I haven't been working with her as much as I'd like.

Anyways, I've worked with her a few times on a grouse dead wing, had her on point one day for a total of about 3 times, but that's it. All she really does is either sit down and stare at it or just straight up chases it. Bird season is only a couple months away and at this rate she's nowhere near ready to be hunted.

Just looking for some tips on getting her on point. I don't know a thing about quartering, retrieving, or anything!! :|

You need a way to have lots of birds - not quail but hard flying pigeons. You can't make a bird dog with a dead grouse wing.Plant birds.
I let my dogs find and chase hard flying pigeons at that age , but others have a different method. The birds will teach her she can't catch them, and she will eventually start to creep and then point, at which time I introduce the cc and no more chasing .

With a GSP I've never been interested in quartering. A pointing breed should get out there , find the bird , and hold on point until you get there.

August this week; you shouldn't expect a broke dog by hunting season.( By broke I mean stays on point until you flush the bird.) Follow the "Perfect Start. Perfect Finish " training programme if you don't know what you are doing.

I plan on two years to have a dog broke to flush and shot, unless I''m lucky enough to have an exceptional dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSP_Uplander

Post by GSP_Uplander » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Sharon wrote:
GSP_Uplander wrote:Hello everyone, I have a 6 month old GSP, my first dog. First off I will admit, I've been somewhat busy with some personal stuff going on so I haven't been working with her as much as I'd like.

You need a way to have lots of birds - not quail but hard flying pigeons. You can't make a bird dog with a dead grouse wing.Plant birds.
I let my dogs find and chase hard flying pigeons at that age , but others have a different method. The birds will teach her she can't catch them, and she will eventually start to creep and then point, at which time I introduce the cc and no more chasing .

With a GSP I've never been interested in quartering. A pointing breed should get out there , find the bird , and hold on point until you get there.

August this week; you shouldn't expect a broke dog by hunting season.( By broke I mean stays on point until you flush the bird.) Follow the "Perfect Start. Perfect Finish " training programme if you don't know what you are doing.

I plan on two years to have a dog broke to flush and shot, unless I''m lucky enough to have an exceptional dog.
Thank you for the PM, I will look at it soon, I seen it earlier but I was on my phone so didn't get a good look at it.

Also, here in Wisconsin we have SOME pigeons but not much, mostly farms hanging around the Silo's. I can ask around for a trap and try to trap a few.
I spoke with a local breeder who breed quality GSP's and told him about my situation with her breaking point and sitting down when she's about to point, and he told me (Which I already knew) "You will never have a good dog unless it has time in the field, everything should be instinct, especially the bloodline of yours"