Public Bird Dog Training Area in Central MD?

Jason85

Public Bird Dog Training Area in Central MD?

Post by Jason85 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:29 pm

I currently live in Howard County MD and I was curious if anyone in central Maryland has suggestions for an area where I can take my dog out training. Preferably less than 30 minute drive.

I've been looking at the Patuxent River State Park, but I've never been there and wouldn't know where to start. Has anyone hunted or trained in the park? Any other suggestions?

I'm not looking for any serious hunting training at this time, just want to put some dummies out in the field and work on the find and point aspect - no shooting.

As you can see my "pup" is a little late to the game but that's my fault not hers.

Thanks,
Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Public Bird Dog Training Area in Central MD?

Post by shags » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Welcome :D Maybe this would work for you; check the regs about dog training in the quiet season.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/pub ... prings.asp

Were you planning to use dummies instead of live birds? Not a good idea. You'll want to find some pigeons or maybe some good flying quail ( be sure to check your state regs on using game birds on state property).

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 pm

You might contact these folks:
http://www.potomacnavhda.com/

They train at McKee-Beschers. WMA and might be a very good resource.

I do not know those folks at all, but I do know several of the Delmarva Navhda folks and they are very good people.

When in doubt about what is permitted on a state facility, contact the facility manager/head ranger directly. Get the info you need directly from the person in charge. Most of these folks will be only too happy to keep you from getting into trouble.

Incidentally, the Delmarva Navhda folks train at the C & R center in Petersburg DE. It is a dedicated dog training area and if you have a hunting license, you are welcome. When the time comes, with the appropriate permit, you can kill birds there for your dog. I know it is a little far for you and is across the bridge, but it is a very nice place to train.

RayG

Jason85

Post by Jason85 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for the information.

I'll have to call the DNR on Monday and see what the deal is.

I've been looking into joining the local NAVHDA chapter but I'm still on the fence. My main concern is that they might not allow my (soon to be) AKC PAL registered Vizsla to compete. I read on the website that they honor AKC registration but not sure if that extends to PAL as well...

Shags, why do say that dummies are a bad idea and that I should go straight to live birds?

j.digiacomo

Post by j.digiacomo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Come on out. There are usually guys there training bird dogs every weekend. Our training days are usually the first saturdays of every month. July will be a week later due to the 4th falling on a friday.

JULY
7/12 TRAINING DAY

AUGUST
8/2 TRAINING DAY

SEPTEMBER
9/6 TRAINING DAY
9/11-14 NAVHDA Invitational – Searsboro, IA
9/20-21 MDGSPC Hunt Test
9/27-28 Potomac Chapter Fall Test

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:22 am

Jason,

Dummies are in no way a substitute for live birds in developing a bird dog. No matter how you doctor them up, your dog will be able to discern the difference. Sure, you might be able to teach her to stand still when she scents a dummy, but she won't be pointing. Huge difference!

Save the dummies for her retrieving lessons, and use birds to get her started learning to hunt and to get her pointing.

You'll find that getting birds is probably the biggest expense and headache over the course of training your dog. But birds make a bird dog and she has to have them.

BTW ask if your local NAVHDA chapter will probably allow you to participate in training days even if your pooch can't participate in their testing. You can run your dog in AKC hunt tests so you'll have somewhere to show off the results.

Good luck :)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am

Jason -

The folks I know that are into Navhda are primarily interested in training and developing their dogs to be good hunting companions and having a good time doing so. Some folks do get serious about training to the higher levels of testing, but if that ain't your thing... you don't need to do that.

Go check it out. Do it for the dog.

The more you learn, the better trainer you become, the more your dog will have fun doing the things you want to do with it. If both you and the dog are having fun, the more you will enjoy your time with your dog.

RayG

j.digiacomo

Post by j.digiacomo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:08 pm

check with the central office. they'll set you right quick. come to the training days to see what it's all about. get a retreiver training permit ($5) tacked on to your hunting license and you're good to go.

as many of the guys here said, birds make a bird dog. that will be apparent at our training days.

just curious, what is your definition of "serious hunting training"? to me, pointing and field search are basic foundation elements that get established very early on. not exactly sure what you want to do with your dog, but understanding what you are looking to do with her may help you figure out which crew to hook up with. the navhda guys are great, but depending on what you want to use the dog for, it may be overkill. if all you're after is field work, AKC may be the better plan (Mason-Dixon GSP Club trains at McKee also, and Viszla's are welcome)

billinpa

Post by billinpa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Jason. Im in pa. Right above Hagerstown if you know where that is? I have about 5 acres behind my house and will have quail shortly. You are more then welcome to come up and run your dog. I get tired of training alone.

mykh11

Post by mykh11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm a newbie here to the forum. I live in Frederick, MD and just adopted a Pointer mix. I have been searching around for places to train in MD and found that some of the MD state grounds offer designated dog training areas but you need to have a current MD licenses and a Retrieve permit. It seems that McKee Besher's is a great spot and Indian Sprints WMA (North West of Hagerstown, md) has designated training areas.

Mason Dixon GSP http://www.mdgspc.org/ will be having an open training day at McKee Besher's on September 13th. I have yet to introduce my pup to live birds, so I'm hoping this will be a good place for him to start learning.

I would like to meet up with other locals and try to have training sessions. He's a smart pup!

j.digiacomo

Post by j.digiacomo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 am

FYI, indian springs is available for sanctioned events only. IE, AKC trials, etc. They do not allow for public use without an event approval; McKee does.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:24 pm

How far are you from Kennedyville?

mykh11

Post by mykh11 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Kennedyville, Md is approx 2hrs from frederick,Md. What's going on there? Training areas?