Piddling....

Montana

Piddling....

Post by Montana » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:34 pm

I have a pup that has a piddling problem... "Excitement Piddling". I've heard of pups/dogs that piddle when they get excited, but have never had to deal with one. She's a pup I kept from a litter I had...neither parents were piddlers. She'll be a year old in November. I usually have my dogs in and out of the house, but I can't bring her in or she'll either piddle on the floor or jump in my chair and piddle. I'm not talking a few drops...she'll pee out a cup or more. I"ve read up on how to deal with it... They say to not lavish her with praise, to ignore the piddling, etc. So far, that hasn't worked (talking a couple of months now). If I take her for a run when I first let her out of her kennel run she's a little better, but even after exercising her for 30 minutes or more if I try to pet her or show any positive reinforcement, she piddles. I've tried no eye contact, which was suggested in what I've read....that hasn't worked either. She's a great little dog.... very smart, birdy as all get out, loves to train, learns quickly, etc. but the piddling is a problem. I like my dogs to jump up on their dog house or the tailgate of my truck to snap a checkcord, etc. on to them....with her she'll fly up there, but as soon as I get near her to snap the lead on her she piddles and her tail is going 90 mph whipping pee all over me and everything else. She's not a shy dog that cowers or anything like that....very bold and sure of herself. I've never laid a hand on her...it's just that she gets overly excited whenever she sees me. Anyone else dealt with this problem? Any suggestions?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Piddling....

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Yep,

They eventually grow out of it. It's either excitement or submissiveness if she doesn't have a physical problem with incontinence. I've had a few fosters that exhibit this behavior. You really do need to show no emotion - no excitement, no stress, no reason for her to be acting submissive or overly excited. She will likely grow out of it, the dogs I've dealt with have all grown out of it except for one that did truly have incontinence issues.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 pm

My latest pup did it for a couple months when strangers to him , came to our home. It passes usually.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bdu

Post by bdu » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:28 am

i have a 3mo gsp thats had a problem with it but she would just be walking and piddle took her in turned out to be a UTI got her on meds took a couple days hasnt been a problem since.