Better e collar

tyviegut

Better e collar

Post by tyviegut » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Which collar would be better for training a pointer? Tri tronics pro 500 or the DT systems edt100? Looking to train my GSP and not sure if I should even look into these. They are online locally used but can't find much info on them. Any help would be appreciated.

Pepper

Re: Better e collar

Post by Pepper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:57 pm

The pro 500 is a great collar for the retriever folks. It has the multiple functions cater to the retriever in transition phase of their training. I have one and will limit the use on my present GSP when that time comes. Experience using one is paramount. IMO The simpler the collar, the more you can gain in its usefulness. If you decide to buy the pro 500, seek experience from those trainers who have experience using that collar. :)

Edit to post: This includes the G3 as well. :)

tyviegut

Post by tyviegut » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:46 am

i was looking at the garmin delta line also. would that be a better collar for someone just starting out? i see the price is very reasonable also on these.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 am

As a rule, Tri-Tronics is most peoples' go-to brand. It and Dogtra are nice collars. Tri-Tronics has been bought out bar Garmin in the last couple years and Garmin is revamping all of the Tri-Tronics collars. Discontinuing the G3 line, which is a great line. Their new collars have more accessories and options than an iPhone. You almost have to have a degree in computers to manage one. The 500 is a very nice collar and one of the best for training dogs (I like the Classic 70 G3 EXP the best), but I wouldn't be surprised if they jack with it discontinue it to make it impossible for parts or repair very soon. If your G3 breaks down now, you're just out of luck.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

Try this one:

http://www.collarclinic.com/product/recF1abc.html

I have used a Flyway Special EXP for 20 years or more. The exact same model as advertised. All I ever needed to train a pointing dog. It will do everything you need to train a dog to the very highest level and that is a fact. I can operate the transmitter without looking at the unit...simply by feel, so any corrections or cues are timely because I am watching the dog, not the transmitter.

I am not a huge fan of Collar Clinic, based on some repair issues I had with them many years ago, but the good news is that the EXP model CAN be repaired or refurbished and you CAN get new batteries for it AND the price is almost too good to be true.

I would jump all over it.

RayG

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Try this one:

http://www.collarclinic.com/product/recF1abc.html

I have used a Flyway Special EXP for 20 years or more. The exact same model as advertised. All I ever needed to train a pointing dog. It will do everything you need to train a dog to the very highest level and that is a fact. I can operate the transmitter without looking at the unit...simply by feel, so any corrections or cues are timely because I am watching the dog, not the transmitter.

I am not a huge fan of Collar Clinic, based on some repair issues I had with them many years ago, but the good news is that the EXP model CAN be repaired or refurbished and you CAN get new batteries for it AND the price is almost too good to be true.

I would jump all over it.

RayG
Great collar for the money. Also it's good to know that it still can be repaired. :)

Gooseman07

Better e collar

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:30 pm

I own a 500 and will not turn back for training collars unless I can't get them anymore. If you are serious about training you dog, I would spend the money and get a pro 500. Garmin has a pro 550 that just came out. I haven't seen one in person but like mentioned before, there are more features and accessories than an iPhone! Good luck!