Springer training material

Takem

Springer training material

Post by Takem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 am

Can anyone recommend a springer training book? Interested in them and I would like to read a book on the training. Are there any good dvd training systems out there also? I'm a ways out from getting another dog but doing some research. I used Evan Grahams smartworks to train my lab and it was great. Hoping there is something similar for flushung dogs. Thanks

CDN_Cocker

Re: Springer training material

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 am

I bought a ton of books when I bought my spaniel and the best I found was James Spencer's Hup!. As far as DVDs I like both Simon Tyers' and David Lissett's dvds. However both are lacking. Your best bet is to find someone else with a spaniel and get some hands on training. The books and dvds available for spaniels are no where near the caliber of retriever programs.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:00 pm

You'll find limited spaniel specific books. Like Cass said, "Hup" is a good read. I've also read "Training Retrievers and Spaniels to Hunt Em Up" by Arnette and Hickox, and "Urban Gun Dogs: Training Flushing Dogs for Home & Field" by Roettger and Scheilder.

Urban Gun Dogs has some intriguing solutions for those who are new to training/have less space/have little access to birds. I believe it's a newer book too.

Hunt Em Up is a nice program geared for new trainers. It seems like they followed the K.I.S.S. model.

But like Cass said hands on work with a spaniel trainer is best. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can help hook you up with an experienced trainer.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Right -on Cass Mnaj in this country it takes a "village" to train a spaniel properly books and vids are good once you get involved with the process.
You tell me what part of the country you live in I'll be able to tell who to see. Has your breeder been any help in this matter?
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Takem

Post by Takem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm in southeast pa. I would definitely get pigeons and all necessary equipment. I would be interested in learning from a club or people with experience. I'm about a year out from getting one and haven't chosen a breeder. Not 100 percent positive yet. I'm so used to labs but want to learn about springers and see if it's a good fit. I like flushing dogs and dogs that retrieve.

Takem

Post by Takem » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Anyone know any breeders in my part of the country. Southeast PA. I'm close to nj, de and md.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Feel free to ask questions! There are lots of spaniel folks here. I, personally, love Springers for their versatility, and their charm, among many other reasons. :)
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:29 pm

My first lab during FF was using James Spenser's method...Great memories of that for sure. I looked into my library of books and dvds and found..."Hunt 'em up!" by Arnette and Hickox; and Gun Dog..."Training Spaniels" by Kenneth Roebuck.
My two cents. :)

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:00 am

Takem wrote:...in my part of the country. Southeast PA. I'm close to nj, de and md.
That translates into "Open, sesame" for ESS and other working spaniels - get through to the heart of the matter http://smythwicks.org/mahsc/contact.html and you're in like Flint.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:43 am

Takem wrote:Anyone know any breeders in my part of the country. Southeast PA. I'm close to nj, de and md.
Crackerd gave an excellent resource in the link to Mid Atlantic spaniel club.
here are few more to confuse you. You cannot hardly turn around without bumping in to field bred spaniel folks.
http://www.essft.com/breeder.html#Brooks

http://www.essft.com/breeder.html#Salmy_Acres

Now do your research and get a fine pup!

limited to two URL's

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 am

Now that we understand that you do not even have a pup yet go to this site a noobie could spend quite bit of time soaking in the info here

http://www.essft.com/

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:31 am

gundogguy wrote:Now that we understand that you do not even have a pup yet...
Missed that little nugget - this one, too, the first time through
Takem wrote:I'm so used to labs but want to learn about springers and see if it's a good fit. I like flushing dogs and dogs that retrieve.
Used to Labs and "like flushing dogs and dogs that retrieve" - hmm, here's one of those at it just this morning, as she's been for going on 14 years now

Not a springer, though. :wink:

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 pm

[
Takem wrote:I'm so used to labs but want to learn about springers and see if it's a good fit. I like flushing dogs and dogs that retrieve.
Used to Labs and "like flushing dogs and dogs that retrieve" - hmm, here's one of those at it just this morning, as she's been for going on 14 years now

Not a springer, though. :wink:

MG[/quote]

Happy Thanksgiving MG, Looks like Terradactyl for the Thursday evening feast! :D :lol: :D
Sure and your breed would also be a fine choice for a previous lab. owner.