Transition from Kennel to Home - the extended disco version

peashooter

Transition from Kennel to Home - the extended disco version

Post by peashooter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

... not a better version, just a different one. (didn't want to hijack a thread)

I will be picking up a 10 week old Small Munsterlander from a breeder located almost exactly 1,000 miles from my home. I pass by there every year on my way to hunt ditch chickens in Central Kansas and know that I can make it in 15 hours if I keep my head down and drive. Coming back will be a whole different story with potty breaks (I'm planning on at least once every hour or so). My question is would it be better to muscle through the whole thousand miles in one shot, possibly resulting in an 18 hour ride or longer with the pup in a crate other than leg stretching, bladder relieving rest stops or would it be better to break the trip up into 2 stretches (or even 3) with an overnight stop where we can get out and explore some grassy fields and play and eat and drink and poop and stuff? Did I just answer my own question?

I'm not as young as I used to be, so 18 hours of interstate driving seems harder every year, but more importantly, which would be better for the pup, bearing in mind that I will have just ripped it away from mom and the rest of the litter? Which approach would be less traumatic? Thanks in advance, and sorry to the member from whom I blatantly stole the thread title.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Transition from Kennel to Home - the extended disco version

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 pm

I'd barrel through in 15 hours personally . Lots of time for house training , woods etc. later. I would put the crate on the front seat beside me though or the whining will drive you crazy. Just what I would do . I'm sure others wouldn't.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Most puppies will sleep until they need a potty break about every four or five hours. You will probably need as many breaks as he does have the breeder limit his food before you pick him up. not his water though. try to find a field rather than rest stops. A lot of dogs visit rest stops...............................Cj

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm

I'd drive through the night and he'd likely sleep most of the way - but I'm a good night driver and enjoy doing overnights - that may not work for you well. It will take longer than you think once he's awake and you're having to stop a lot. Reminder: don't use rest stops or fast food or gas stations for puppy pee spots. Use off the wall spots like church parking lots, ball fields, etc....places other dog owners won't normally go this time of year.

peashooter

Post by peashooter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:16 am

Duplicate post, I guess I didn't realize I was still on probation!
Last edited by peashooter on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peashooter

Post by peashooter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:31 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I'd drive through the night and he'd likely sleep most of the way - but I'm a good night driver and enjoy doing overnights - that may not work for you well.
I used to could drive all night, my eyes ain't what they were and I start seeing purple alligators in the road around 3:00 am!
RoostersMom wrote:It will take longer than you think once he's awake and you're having to stop a lot. Reminder: don't use rest stops or fast food or gas stations for puppy pee spots. Use off the wall spots like church parking lots, ball fields, etc....places other dog owners won't normally go this time of year.
... unless they read GDF :wink: Great advice, thanks! I've done this trip about twice a year for the last 10 years or so (just not for a new pup), I've got a pretty good idea of some spots to stop. My biggest concern was for the pup, but it sounds like he'll be fine either way. Thanks again.