The Spaniel Spot

UplandJim

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by UplandJim » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Can't speak for Cass either, Though MNaJ is spot on. At face value FF looks like a way to teach a dog to delivered items correctly..to hand. Without that the hand delivery advanced behaviors become impossible for the dog to achieve. Doubles, stand alone marks, diversion birds, and blinds to name a few. There are ways to develop that delivery to hand without FF but the relations ship with the pup has to be done in a very responsible manner early in the pups life. Our friends in UK have done it for years.
FF also teaches a dog "How to learn". The reason I usually take my own dogs through the process just as soon as the adult teeth settle in. 5-7 months old pup is much simpler to train than the older dog that has acquired self taught avoidance's. Try a two year Chessie that just says NO! I digress..
By starting at a very young age I have a young pup that is ready for some much more training in advance areas.
My avatar dog Zeta was FF at 5months steady to wing shot at 7-8 months and a finalist in the 2014 Nat Champs before she was 2 1/2. The whole process just jump starts the dogs performance career.
I have to admit. That's the best case "for" FF that I've ever read.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:43 pm

gundogguy wrote: Our friends in UK have done it for years.
I agree!
:D

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 am

Zeta's 1st amateur all age under her mistress Nancy.
Zeta's first run since coming out of season. 1st series, sloppy meat dog work. Good mechanics just not very inspiring. 2nd series.. Brilliant finds and retrieves. Not enough to bring her to the 3rd. Her handler Nancy (A Panel jusge in her own rite) would not have brought back even if she was judging, because the 1st series run. As per the season lousy conditions, 9 degrees, there was some talk of canceling. Glad they did not.
It was a good run for the Nancy and Zeta, Nance got a chance to feel the power of her little pocket rocket in the 2nd, very exciting for her,Nancy that is.
Part of the reason for being in NE Ohio was to meet up with Mike Wallace
Zeta will run under Mike in a couple more Open AA this spring, then on to Canada.
Cass, the "War princess" is headed for Ontario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Exciting Hal! Perhaps I will see you?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Took the pup into some nice cover today. It was overcast and windy.... about 15 mph out of the south. She did nicely trailing a running hen before putting it up. I was pleased with how well she handled a bird on the run, cutting it off and pushing it up.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:25 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Took the pup into some nice cover today. It was overcast and windy.... about 15 mph out of the south. She did nicely trailing a running hen before putting it up. I was pleased with how well she handled a bird on the run, cutting it off and pushing it up.
Glad to hear your having fun with your pup, I would imagine your breeder is happy you own one his/her pups. If you would or could please describe why you were pleased with the pups work and production of birds? What part of the track and trail was good and proper and what part may or may not need some tweaking? Thanks.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 pm

gundogguy wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Took the pup into some nice cover today. It was overcast and windy.... about 15 mph out of the south. She did nicely trailing a running hen before putting it up. I was pleased with how well she handled a bird on the run, cutting it off and pushing it up.
Glad to hear your having fun with your pup, I would imagine your breeder is happy you own one his/her pups. If you would or could please describe why you were pleased with the pups work and production of birds? What part of the track and trail was good and proper and what part may or may not need some tweaking? Thanks.
Me Too! ?..just so I get the picture?
Wind from 'Louisiana' or a 'Tail wind'?.Trailing a running hen that the dog seen?..or the scent of?..was the dog following the sight or the scent?..If it was the scent?..was the wind still from that 'bootiful south' all the way?..''Cutting it off'' ?....at the pass? or getting in front ?...''Pushing it up'' ?..do you mean 'flush' ?..or 'bump' with her nose ?..
Did she stop?
Last question ?.....''I was pleased how well she handled a bird on the run'' ?....What handling exactly?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 pm

gundogguy wrote:
Polmaise, I'll try to set up the scenario... We were walking alongside a frozen marsh, in some sedge mixed with Cattails. There was a tail wind out of the south (we were walking north).

She got birdy and confidently began following foot scent. She picked up the scent to my left and a few yards out in front, and followed for about 20 yards before spinning around, working back towards me and flushing the bird. She didn't bump it, just hit the cover that the body scent came from. My guess is the bird ran then tried to circle back.

Gundogguy, what I liked was her confidence and pace when following the foot scent, no plodding. She showed boldness. She chased briefly (she's not steady), and called off without issue. As for tweaking things, I'm not sure. She's done everything I've asked and trained her to do. The tweaking she does need is polish on her patterning (which is priority #1 this summer), and steadying up (hopefully complete before next fall).
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:29 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
Polmaise, I'll try to set up the scenario... We were walking alongside a frozen marsh, in some sedge mixed with Cattails. There was a tail wind out of the south (we were walking north).

She got birdy and confidently began following foot scent. She picked up the scent to my left and a few yards out in front, and followed for about 20 yards before spinning around, working back towards me and flushing the bird. She didn't bump it, just hit the cover that the body scent came from. My guess is the bird ran then tried to circle back.

Gundogguy, what I liked was her confidence and pace when following the foot scent, no plodding. She showed boldness. She chased briefly (she's not steady), and called off without issue. As for tweaking things, I'm not sure. She's done everything I've asked and trained her to do. The tweaking she does need is polish on her patterning (which is priority #1 this summer), and steadying up (hopefully complete before next fall).
If she got 'foot scent' ----------from the bird ? with a following wind then she would have been hunting ''back in towards you'' ? Right?...How would the dog get ''Birdy''? in the first place?..........By being up wind of the scent first perhaps?..or picking up scent on 'residual' scent? (my questions are honestly relevant for a certain few that have asked/questioned about how a spaniel 'hunts' ;) )

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 pm

So am I answering your questions or the questions of others? For some reason I think you already have the answers to these questions anyway.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
gundogguy wrote:

Thanks Very good description!

As for tweaking reverse your priorities. Steady 1st and then teach a steady dog to pattern upwind(face) or crosswind(cheek). To much time is spent on spaniel pups quartering before steadiness is done. Once a dog has manners then coach'em up on how to run.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 am

mnaj_springer wrote:So am I answering your questions or the questions of others? For some reason I think you already have the answers to these questions anyway.
It's difficult to get a picture from text.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:01 am

polmaise wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:So am I answering your questions or the questions of others? For some reason I think you already have the answers to these questions anyway.
It's difficult to get a picture from text.
It appeared that she came across residual foot scent left by a running bird while patterning (head up) in front of me. Then she followed the foot scent (head down) with the wind at her back. Then she must've gone past the bird (like I said, I think it doubled back), because she worked the wind back (head up) and flushed the bird. Comprende?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:44 pm

mnaj_springer wrote: It appeared that she came across residual foot scent left by a running bird while patterning (head up) in front of me. Then she followed the foot scent (head down) with the wind at her back. Then she must've gone past the bird (like I said, I think it doubled back), because she worked the wind back (head up) and flushed the bird. Comprende?
So she never 'cut it off' ?..If she had gone past the bird and you think the bird doubled back?
Comprende?
I started involvement of your post to get an understanding of how some post things in text in relation to what actually happens.
I feel there is tension and argumentation in defence of statements ,so I'll leave you with your evaluation .
Comprende?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:46 pm

polmaise wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote: It appeared that she came across residual foot scent left by a running bird while patterning (head up) in front of me. Then she followed the foot scent (head down) with the wind at her back. Then she must've gone past the bird (like I said, I think it doubled back), because she worked the wind back (head up) and flushed the bird. Comprende?
So she never 'cut it off' ?..If she had gone past the bird and you think the bird doubled back?
Comprende?
I started involvement of your post to get an understanding of how some post things in text in relation to what actually happens.
I feel there is tension and argumentation in defence of statements ,so I'll leave you with your evaluation .
Comprende?
There's no tension here. Just a curiositity as to why you've questioned my post so vigorously. Especially after you've been a member of this forum for over 3 years, meaning you've had plenty of observations of others' posts and their descriptions of events.

And you're right, she may not have "cut it off" as I originally stated. But that's how I said it because it appeared that way, but her actions did cause the bird to change its behavior, which led to a flush within gun range, rather than it continuing to run. So in some sense, she cut it off, albeit accidental.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:41 pm

mnaj_springer wrote: And you're right, she may not have "cut it off" as I originally stated. But that's how I said it because it appeared that way,
Thanks for your honesty .
I get the picture now :wink:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 pm

polmaise wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote: And you're right, she may not have "cut it off" as I originally stated. But that's how I said it because it appeared that way,
Quid pro quo. My 'honesty' for yours. What was the real reason(s) for your questions? To answer questions about how spaniels hunt (as you originally stated)? To understand how people document their stories? Or maybe another reason?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Two of my nieces dreams are coming true the end of March...they will be getting their first puppy, a field bred springer. They have already named him, 'Kirby Bridgewater'. They are very excited and I'm excited for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:15 am

rkappes wrote:Two of my nieces dreams are coming true the end of March...they will be getting their first puppy, a field bred springer. They have already named him, 'Kirby Bridgewater'. They are very excited and I'm excited for them.
Congrates on your decision to purchase a FB springer.

Over the next few months questions will come up concerning rearing and training take those to your breeder before you look for outside help. You, trusted the breeder enough to part with money in exchange for his/her pup, utilize that brain trust. Depending on their back ground it will become invaluable as time goes on.

Not knowing your background a couple of "do not's"..Do not train this pup like pointing dog folks train, and do not train this dog like beagle dog folks train. Spaniels can handle birds and rabbits however the training is much different.

Your location is a hot spot for Spaniel activities, take advantage of the spaniel folks in your state, you'll have a ball if you do.

and lastly what spaniel blood did you buy into???Who is the sire and dam of of your pup? I already know one them is a black and white.

above all else relax and have fun, and welcome to the Spaniel Spot

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 am

I like the name. Maybe we will see him in the Super Bowl or the World Series. Good Luck..........................Cj

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:02 pm

gundogguy wrote:
rkappes wrote:Two of my nieces dreams are coming true the end of March...they will be getting their first puppy, a field bred springer. They have already named him, 'Kirby Bridgewater'. They are very excited and I'm excited for them.
Congrates on your decision to purchase a FB springer.

Over the next few months questions will come up concerning rearing and training take those to your breeder before you look for outside help. You, trusted the breeder enough to part with money in exchange for his/her pup, utilize that brain trust. Depending on their back ground it will become invaluable as time goes on.

Not knowing your background a couple of "do not's"..Do not train this pup like pointing dog folks train, and do not train this dog like beagle dog folks train. Spaniels can handle birds and rabbits however the training is much different.

Your location is a hot spot for Spaniel activities, take advantage of the spaniel folks in your state, you'll have a ball if you do.

and lastly what spaniel blood did you buy into???Who is the sire and dam of of your pup? I already know one them is a black and white.

above all else relax and have fun, and welcome to the Spaniel Spot

Thanks for the kind words and tips, I’ll be sure to pass them along. It was actually my sister and brother-in-law who purchased the pup. I guess the gentleman they are getting the pup from is good friends with my BIL and should be a good source of knowledge when it comes to training. Apparently he’s trained, trialed and judged springers for a while now. The breeders name is Randy Manore. I asked my sister who the dam and sire are and she couldn’t remember, she said she would ask but thought it was two of the three dogs below…could be wrong though. She said she met “Piper” and “Joey”.

Bridgewater's Sandpiper of BRS "Piper", Harvest Moon's Sweet Surprise "Ellie", and Harvest Moon's Hey Joe “Joey”.

Anyway, I’m excited for my sisters family and hopefully the puppy makes a fine companion/hunting dog and makes many memories for years to come.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:04 pm

cjhills wrote:I like the name. Maybe we will see him in the Super Bowl or the World Series. Good Luck..........................Cj

I agree, I like the name....good ole MN sports fans. Although I doubt we'll see any Super Bowl or World Series appearances anytime soon. :D

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks for the kind words and tips, I’ll be sure to pass them along. It was actually my sister and brother-in-law who purchased the pup. I guess the gentleman they are getting the pup from is good friends with my BIL and should be a good source of knowledge when it comes to training. Apparently he’s trained, trialed and judged springers for a while now. The breeders name is Randy Manore. I asked my sister who the dam and sire are and she couldn’t remember, she said she would ask but thought it was two of the three dogs below…could be wrong though. She said she met “Piper” and “Joey”.

Bridgewater's Sandpiper of BRS "Piper", Harvest Moon's Sweet Surprise "Ellie", and Harvest Moon's Hey Joe “Joey”.

Anyway, I’m excited for my sisters family and hopefully the puppy makes a fine companion/hunting dog and makes many memories for years to come.[/quote]

Probable be better if your sister and and husband hit the forum after consulting the breeder. 1st hand information is always best. Do not know the Bridgewater dogs, prolly a name change away from their roots has taken place.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 am

FYI Springer spaniel trials this weekend in Utah, N Colorado, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. "From sea to shining sea"
Hie on!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:58 am

gundogguy wrote:Probable be better if your sister and and husband hit the forum after consulting the breeder. 1st hand information is always best. Do not know the Bridgewater dogs, prolly a name change away from their roots has taken place.

Or it's a Minnesota Vikings reference. :mrgreen:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:59 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
polmaise wrote:
Quid pro quo. My 'honesty' for yours. What was the real reason(s) for your questions? To answer questions about how spaniels hunt (as you originally stated)? To understand how people document their stories? Or maybe another reason?
Apologies for being absent :wink: Thanks for the pm reminder.
I've been busy honestly with Training. You are right, You do deserve an open forum reply.
The real reason ,as earlier prompted , ''What you see and type on forum is not necessarily what others , myself included actually interpret ,according to what is typed'' . :wink: ..
If the purpose of the post and the forum is to exchange these ''quotes'' then It sure needs to be understood by all reading them, rather than friends agreeing with them just because they do ? :wink:

Good Forum , for those that talk dogs :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Thought 'The Spaniel Spot' needed a boost! :wink:
Always trust a good dog ,never leave it to luck with a bad one.
I took Young 'Ted' out on the rabbits today.
At the end of one run I was taken by surprise after I pipped him to stop and broke the gun ! At 1:38 on the clip you see him turn his head to a bolting rabbit just on my left.
Not bad getting the gun closed and a camera in the left hand :lol:
The Young guy done well as I had hit the rabbit at the back end and it ran on a bit , but Young Ted hit the scent and worked it out :P
'Ted' is only just over 10 month old ,so we are keeping the pattern close . I'm more than confident that will widen the more game he get's ! :lol:
Probably just as wide as Bill's :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dq06tg ... e=youtu.be

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:31 pm

polmaise wrote:Thought 'The Spaniel Spot' needed a boost! :wink:
Always trust a good dog ,never leave it to luck with a bad one.
I took Young 'Ted' out on the rabbits today.
At the end of one run I was taken by surprise after I pipped him to stop and broke the gun ! At 1:38 on the clip you see him turn his head to a bolting rabbit just on my left.
Not bad getting the gun closed and a camera in the left hand :lol:
The Young guy done well as I had hit the rabbit at the back end and it ran on a bit , but Young Ted hit the scent and worked it out :P
'Ted' is only just over 10 month old ,so we are keeping the pattern close . I'm more than confident that will widen the more game he get's ! :lol:
What do you mean by keeping the pattern close? It's hard to tell on camera just how far he ranges out. Is it 5 yards on each side or less? How will you 'widen' him out with game? Thanks! Just trying to understand what people mean!

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Gunning, filming, and handling the dog. That is true multi-tasking! Well done.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Read up on the likes of 'Joe Irving' or 'Peter Moxon' ? mnaj ?...They write very good! and can explain what you don't see :lol:
Far better than me !

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 pm

polmaise wrote:Read up on the likes of 'Joe Irving' or 'Peter Moxon' ? mnaj ?...They write very good! and can explain what you don't see :lol:
Far better than me !
I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth?

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:45 am

polmaise wrote:T
Makes perfect sense, game will stretch that range out to a more comfortable distance! Hunting experiences will balance out the obedience and early puppie work!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Spring training action shots

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Glamor shot, she is such a bird finding diva!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Here's my spring training pics :)
chase.jpg
jakechukar.jpg
macey.jpg
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 pm

jakespike.jpg
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:52 am

Those training pics make me jealous! We have to wait until April for our field work. Our training ground is a licensed shooting preserve with the season ending in April.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Those training pics make me jealous! We have to wait until April for our field work. Our training ground is a licensed shooting preserve with the season ending in April.
Wow I trained for some 20 yrs on licensed shooting preserve grounds. We would just book a hunt, do our own planting of either Pheasants or Chukars or Huns and away we trained.
worked out great. Now March and April are fairly snow free here in Michigan Ohio so unless we were trialing we were conditioning dogs at the preserve it was centrally located so it was relatively convenient for folks to meet up and get together.
By the way Mid -Atlantic trial this weekend in Altoona Pa.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:30 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Here's my spring training pics :)
Cass, have you been washing Jake with Clorox again? (Who are the whitish spaniels?)

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 am

Well the dapper little fellow in the last pic is Spike, a real dog (read: cocker). You can see both the boys are quite intense when marking LOL. Spike is actually a nice sized cocker, smaller than Jake of course but not bad. I have another pic here with a normal sized (30-32lbs) cocker dog beside Jake and he looks like a dwarf. Hard going little fella though. I'll try and post it up... The others are those weirdo springers lol. I do like that young springer female in the pic with me. That was her first cold game - she was bred by Ben Martin. 6 months old.
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:32 pm

gundogguy wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Those training pics make me jealous! We have to wait until April for our field work. Our training ground is a licensed shooting preserve with the season ending in April.
Wow I trained for some 20 yrs on licensed shooting preserve grounds. We would just book a hunt, do our own planting of either Pheasants or Chukars or Huns and away we trained.
worked out great. Now March and April are fairly snow free here in Michigan Ohio so unless we were trialing we were conditioning dogs at the preserve it was centrally located so it was relatively convenient for folks to meet up and get together.
Yeah, well I guess that method doesn't quite fit into our budget.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:36 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
Yeah, well I guess that method doesn't quite fit into our budget.
The use of game farm shooting preserve is not one that you would have do on a daily or weekly basis, I'm confident it is a practice that you could handle every so often , say once every 4-6 weeks. An excellent way to proof your training whether you are quartering, FF, or steadiness or all three.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Beautiful pics guys , but you are driving me crazy. It snowed here to day. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Sharon wrote:Beautiful pics guys , but you are driving me crazy. It snowed here to day. :(
:mrgreen:
Bonnie Scotland this morning :twisted:

mopar_nocar

Post by mopar_nocar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Short video of some very introductory retrieving with my spaniel. The clapping you hear off camera is my 7 year old applauding.

This is my second spaniel, just found Hickox's training DVDs and decided I liked his upland stuff, so going to use that for this pup and my Lab/German Shepard mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DgnX6MnQ0

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:51 pm

altoona Pa Mid Atlantic trial. Zeta the war princess makes a 3rd place finish in her march to FC title

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Congrats Zeta and Hal! Give em heck!
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:06 pm

mopar_nocar wrote:Short video of some very introductory retrieving with my spaniel. The clapping you hear off camera is my 7 year old applauding.

This is my second spaniel, just found Hickox's training DVDs and decided I liked his upland stuff, so going to use that for this pup and my Lab/German Shepard mix.

Nice work! Have fun with your pup!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:50 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
mopar_nocar wrote:Short video of some very introductory retrieving with my spaniel. The clapping you hear off camera is my 7 year old applauding.

Nice work! Have fun with your pup!
Yes very good! a tried and true method of introduction to retrieving that Spaniel folks have used for some 60-70 yrs. My first breeder that i purchased my first pup from went a step further, completely enclosed the alley and would allow pups to chase pigeons back forth(intro to birds) then as the pup progress added gun fire then added place boards and then steadied the pup the wing shot all with out ever going to field when the pup went to field quartering and marking of the retrieves were all that the pup needed to ready for trial or hunt.
TurtleCreek kennels made a dozen or so champs and many fine shooting dogs using the concept of the "blind ally".
and this was done before Hickox's was even into dogs. Have fun!

mopar_nocar

Post by mopar_nocar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm

The bird introduction in the alley idea might be for me. Definitely going to give that some thought.

I live in a neighborhood (for the first time in a decade) and have struggled with hunting dog stuff I had grown accustomed to taking for granted....like gun acclimation and bird planting and basic field work. Still own some land, but it is a 2hr drive, so training like that has to be planned.

Thanks.

sb