Attention Deficit Pointing dog?

nitecapt

Attention Deficit Pointing dog?

Post by nitecapt » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:50 pm

I have owned French Brits for over 30 years. I have had great success with them. They have great noses and are generally solid on point to the extent that you can stop and have lunch and they will stay on point.

I now have 3 dogs, one is an intact male. Unlike any of them I have ever had, he is ALWAYS on the alert, always running around, always active and even when in the car when the other two sleep in the back seat, he will stand on the console and watch out the front window. He has done this for hours at a time on long trips (standing all the time). He gets 2x the food that the others do and is skinny as a rail due to his activity level.
Now for the issue. He will lock up on point and will stay there until I get there, but more often than not, while he is on point, his head is moving around to check out the surroundings. He gets distracted and will turn his head to see what any noise of other activity is in the area, yet he doesn't move his body. Kind of strange isn't it? I suspect that the head movement would disqualify him if I trialed him, but he produces birds and that's what counts.
Has anyone encountered this and does anyone here have an idea what this is all about? I've never seen such a thing before.

Thanks
Ray

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Attention Deficit Pointing dog?

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I've seen a lot of dog's do it, mainly on planted birds. A launcher stops it. If he moves his head or wags his stub, pop the bird.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm

That's very interesting nitecap. Dogs are all different - just like people. I have a very affectionate setter , and another one that always keeps her distance . Lies down in the kitchen when we are all in the den etc.. What Ray said should work for birds, but as far as otherwise - that's just the way he is. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 pm

My present Brittany pup was trained using wild game, mainly pheasants. She often slowly turns her head to watch my approach while on point. I don't like that but I can easily live with it. I'm not sure what a trial judge in this country would make of that behaviour, I might possibly lose a mark or two for "style ?"

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

nitecapt

Post by nitecapt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:19 am

Any other thgoughts on fixing this? I am convinced that if I called him off a bird, he would come. No other bird dog I have ever had has been able to be called off.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 am

nitecapt wrote:BUMP....any other thgoughts on fixing this? I am convinced that if I called him off a bird, he would come. No other bird dog I have ever had has been able to be called off.
You were given a solution - use a launcher.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 pm

Use a launcher. He moves his head fire the bird up.
Only solution I know of - and if it doesn't work......? I have never seen it not work.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:02 pm

yep! Launcher!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!