Pre-Season Training Tips (Brittany)

Brittanygirl

Pre-Season Training Tips (Brittany)

Post by Brittanygirl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 pm

I have a two year old Brittany that did a very well job hunting last year. I shot over 50 pheasants over her last year. I am attempting to so refresher training at least twice a week and it appears she has not interest in it. She would rather run around "looking" for live animals. She loves to "hunt" for wild moving animals. I know she understands the scent but concerned she will not be 100% at the start of the season. any ideas?

mnaj_springer

Re: Pre-Season Training Tips (Brittany)

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:34 am

Are you using launchers or loose birds?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Brittanygirl

Post by Brittanygirl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:27 am

No. Don't have access to them. I am doing Yard training that consists of tracking drills, fetching, and wing pointing (wing on fishing pole). I think she likes the movement of "live" things vice the static drills above.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 am

Brittanygirl wrote:I have a two year old Brittany that did a very well job hunting last year. I shot over 50 pheasants over her last year. I am attempting to so refresher training at least twice a week and it appears she has not interest in it. She would rather run around "looking" for live animals. She loves to "hunt" for wild moving animals. I know she understands the scent but concerned she will not be 100% at the start of the season. any ideas?
I would go back to yard drills first. Heel/whoa, come, kennel, fetch...all of it. I do more heel/whoa drills than anything else, mostly to get the dog dialed in to me and my movements and to stop and stand, with style until released. I would also do some work on a regular basis on styling the dog up and steadying the dog, again in the yard. Pulling a pigeon out of a bird bag and letting it fly might just get the dog's attention.

I would road the dog, in harness, to build up the dog's musculature and endurance. I personally prefer slow roading, with the dog pulling against resistance as I think it does the most good...the quickest. Tossing a pigeon while roading can be something to ignite the dog's interest.

Doing the prep work, especially the roading in harness, has always served to crank a dog up and when I do cut it loose, it really WANTS to go out there and kill something.

In the field, you might want to throw a pigeon or two for the dog as it is running free. The sight of a flying pigeon can usually be depended on to fire up a dog.

RayG

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:43 am

What Ray says!

Also, what is it you're doing with the dog right now? I wasn't clear on that. Pre-season for me means lots of pigeons for her to point. Always finding a bird every time we go out - trying hard not to run the dog without finding birds (unless you're roading the dog).

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 am

I am uncertain of what the problem you seem to be expecting actually is ? Do you expect her general obedience levels to be low or do you expect her to bump one or two pheasants at the start of the season ?
She may very well bump up the first couple of birds but I think she will then settle in to pointing them again. My own Brittany bitch is also two years old and I don't use pigeons to persuade her to point or to hold the point. I therefor do think she will bump a bird or two at the start of the season but will then point them again. I'm quite happy with that ......there's always another pheasant after those first one or two.

All I have done with my bitch since April up to present is to let her hunt where birds do not nest or rear chicks .....there's plenty of that sort of ground around here ! I take that opportunity when she is not too "wound up" on game to train and retrain her stops to whistle, turns to whistle , recalls etc. and do a bit of retrieving. I usually find that if I do this I can also control her .....if I want to or need to....as she hunts for birds, points birds, flushes them and sees them shot.

Unless I missed something in your original post I think you are worrying needlessly.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:04 am

Are you putting put birds for her? What kind? You said she enjoy's running around looking for animals, you mean birds, Your not clear on what you are doing with her.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Brittanygirl

Post by Brittanygirl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:47 pm

THANKS! for all the input. What do you mean by "Roading" I run every morning with her for 4 miles. trust me, she pulls me the whole 4 miles. I have lost 20 lbs since owning her. She LOVES anything that flies in front of her face. as she attempts to get it. I guess I am concerned with her "busting" a few birds at the start of the season. She did last year but then settled right down and by the end of the season, she would hold her point until I got there. I do think she is listening to me much better than last year too. I use the collar, but never need to use it much. Maybe I vibrate once or twice during a run. On commands, I am pretty happy with her response to me and to the whistle. I just wanted her to get back in "pointing" shape so I can hit the road running come the start of the season. I feel she is a great dog with a very large hunting drive. I just want to channel that towards quail and pheasants. again thank you all who of provided input.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Since she seems to have done quite well last year I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some dogs just don't like yard work. Work on conditioning and some basic obedience and you will be fine. Once the season starts get on birds and she'll remember what to do. I've never worked my dogs on pen raised birds in the off season and have always had some great dogs. I do have an advantage here in South Dakota in being able to get them on a lot of wild birds. Good luck.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Brittanygirl

Post by Brittanygirl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Would love to hunt my little Brit in SD. I hunt WA state so we have few birds but nothing like SD. Jealous but good for you!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Brittanygirl wrote:THANKS! for all the input. What do you mean by "Roading" I run every morning with her for 4 miles. trust me, she pulls me the whole 4 miles. I have lost 20 lbs since owning her. She LOVES anything that flies in front of her face. as she attempts to get it. I guess I am concerned with her "busting" a few birds at the start of the season. She did last year but then settled right down and by the end of the season, she would hold her point until I got there. I do think she is listening to me much better than last year too. I use the collar, but never need to use it much. Maybe I vibrate once or twice during a run. On commands, I am pretty happy with her response to me and to the whistle. I just wanted her to get back in "pointing" shape so I can hit the road running come the start of the season. I feel she is a great dog with a very large hunting drive. I just want to channel that towards quail and pheasants. again thank you all who of provided input.
Sounds like you 've done a super job. I'd follow Ray's advice . ( Welcome to the forum. Very nice to have another lady on board. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brittanygirl

Post by Brittanygirl » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:12 am

thanks. Oh, my brit is a girl not me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Oh Fooey! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: !

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Brittanygirl

Post by Brittanygirl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, I can do the Bruce Jenner thing if you like. NOT!