How to reclaim my bed?

Powderfinger

How to reclaim my bed?

Post by Powderfinger » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 am

Hi all. I'm a new to the Forum and with my first bird dog, I have an odd question. Here's some background info:

I have a 6 month old GSP, acquired at 8 weeks old.
Potty training was successful.
Leash walking has been great, no issues.
Live bird training has been on track and super, no issues there yet.
Socialization with people, dogs, and even horses is fine, no issues.
Kitchen manners are still a work-in-progress, but improving each month.
Kenneling inside the house from time to time is not an issue.

Here's problem: during the potty training I slept with him near the door. After he figured out how to go outside for his business, he slept by himself for a few nights on the couch and I thought that would be his habit.

It didn't last long. Now he wants to sleep with me all of the time. He's growing, kicks a lot, and our bed is not big enough for 3 of us!

How to kick this habit? Should I kennel him at night? So far shutting the door only has him whining and scratching at it.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: How to reclaim my bed?

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 pm

I am looking forward to the answers to this one ! :lol:
Personally, I think a bit of aversive training may be in order. It's a dog, if you don't want him in a room or on a bed then let him know you don't !

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Kingsize bed. Then he doubles as a bedwarmer, alarm clock, and birth control method. :wink:

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:09 pm

greg jacobs wrote:Kingsize bed. Then he doubles as a bedwarmer, alarm clock, and birth control method. :wink:
Amen brother!
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 pm

greg jacobs wrote:Kingsize bed. Then he doubles as a bedwarmer, alarm clock, and birth control method. :wink:
I got a kick out of this!

In all reality, you put the dog in the crate at night. If you have to ask how to get the dog out of your bed, it's not your bed anymore.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum.

" He's growing, kicks a lot, and our bed is not big enough for 3 of us!" quote

Wow, my husband sure wouldn't put up with that. Who's in charge?
Boot him out and crate him. Put in the earplugs and let him make a fuss for a couple days/weeks? Much easier to do at 8 weeks of age. We all live and learn. :wink:

(If I know the guys above, they are being sarcastic. :) )

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:27 pm

He's six months and gets on the bed when he wants to. Come on. Teach him NO. Honestly, if you can't figure out how to keep a pup off the bed, your in for a loooooooooooooong road training him.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:30 am

You could get him a 'cot' with a nice duvet so that he feels comfy next to you . Perhaps a pacifier also to stop any noise ?
Failing that, just put a couple of mouse traps on your bed and let him figure it out :mrgreen:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:41 am

There's no way I would let a dog in the bed with me, I hate hair - thats just gross. Crate him.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:41 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:There's no way I would let a dog in the bed with me, I hate hair - thats just gross. Crate him.
Haha I didn't expect this from you. Never have you sounded more like a yuppie!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Have read some dang good threads in my short time on this planet, but this up there^^^^^^^....
THAT'S FUNNY, don't care who 'ya are....
ROTFLMHINEYO
:mrgreen:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 am

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want your dog in bed with you? If the little woman can't get her head around it, invite her to sleep on the couch till she does. Actually I have been thinking about a bigger bed. Me and three dogs is a bit much if they decide to stretch out wrong. It's just a twin and I'm thinking maybe a queen size, small bedroom and to get in a king size I'd have to move the gun cabinet and fishing stuff out!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13 pm

I have watched this post for the last two days or so and I just cannot lower my standards to give a response.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I don't understand the question...what is the problem?

Maybe get another dog to keep your pooch company and he will have someone to share the bed with, then go get another bed :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 pm

gundogguy wrote:I have watched this post for the last two days or so and I just cannot lower my standards to give a response.
Too late, you just did
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Powderfinger

Post by Powderfinger » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Amen brother !

Thanks all...some hilarious responses. I see some strong opinions here too...so maybe I should explain myself to the "tough guys" and gals of this forum.

Of course I have considered the Cold Turkey Method suggested...and I may do that if needed. However, I was looking for a "kinder, gentler way", as our 41st President would put it (that's GHW Bush, for our Scottish friends).

I subscribe to the Kenneth Roebuck Method: positive reinforcement only, with rewards and praise. No E-collars, prong collars, etc., necessary if the groundwork is done correctly and with patience. Also, no sending the dog away to have a stranger do my dirty work. We meet with a trainer 1x per week, and we practice throughout the week.

So far I have a 6 month old pup who stays close, comes back to my call and/or whistle without fail, and has already held a couple of good points (to the shot, I might add). I may not end up with the perfect dog, but I prefer to live with my own successes & failures....thank you.

That said, I believe I've found an idea how to wean him slowly off of me...which I'll begin soon. But first I'll need to buy a blanket, an alarm clock, and restock the cabinet with birth control...

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Good luck with your positive reinforcement only!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Powderfinger wrote:Amen brother !

Thanks all...some hilarious responses. I see some strong opinions here too...so maybe I should explain myself to the "tough guys" and gals of this forum.

Of course I have considered the Cold Turkey Method suggested...and I may do that if needed. However, I was looking for a "kinder, gentler way", as our 41st President would put it (that's GHW Bush, for our Scottish friends).

I subscribe to the Kenneth Roebuck Method: positive reinforcement only, with rewards and praise. No E-collars, prong collars, etc., necessary if the groundwork is done correctly and with patience. Also, no sending the dog away to have a stranger do my dirty work. We meet with a trainer 1x per week, and we practice throughout the week.

So far I have a 6 month old pup who stays close, comes back to my call and/or whistle without fail, and has already held a couple of good points (to the shot, I might add). I may not end up with the perfect dog, but I prefer to live with my own successes & failures....thank you.

That said, I believe I've found an idea how to wean him slowly off of me...which I'll begin soon. But first I'll need to buy a blanket, an alarm clock, and restock the cabinet with birth control...

If you had a plan : "I subscribe to the Kenneth Roebuck Method: positive reinforcement only, with rewards and praise. No E-collars, prong collars, etc., necessary if the groundwork is done correctly and with patience." quote

why did you ask us what to do?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:00 pm

buy a bigger bed or just get another one for you and your wife or this is the one I would choose make him get out he prob. thinks that is his bed after all you was the one that give it to him

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:22 am

Powderfinger wrote:Amen brother !

Um, get back to us when you consistently stop him from going after a skunk, a porky, another group of hunters, the highway or anything else that's 100 times more compelling than the treat in your pocket. He will mature and as an adult he'll test limits.

Powderfinger

Post by Powderfinger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 am

Excellent point NEhomer ("an adult he'll test limits"). If it happens with kids why not dogs? OK...you got me here.....I fold. I see the value of an E-collar in that situation. I'm not sure if he's ready for it yet, but I'll start shopping.

Thank you.

Coach

Post by Coach » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Went through a similar situation with my now 7 month old. Wife could not stand the sound of her whining in the crate and brought her to bed with us.......after a couple months of a dog sleeping on my head and me getting no sleep I had enough.

Crated her. She raised heck for pretty much the whole first night. 2nd night she was unhappy for 1/2 the night...........3rd night she was quite. No problems ever since. Best thing we ever did.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 am

You are well on your way to having a neurotic, pain in the butt idiot, Dogs are much happier and balanced with a firm leader. The dog world is not a democracy. It is my way or the hiway. Every dog I ever had preferred my way to the hiway. Good luck With Your all positive training.........................Cj

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:57 am

How to reclaim your bed
1. go to bed
2. Dog comes in and climbs on bed
3. Boot dog firmly in butt
4. Tell him firmly to go sleep in his own bed
5. If he comes back repeat only with more firmness
This is positive training. If he does comes back he can be positive he will get the boot and it is giving him something rather than taking something away.
Of course if you prefer sleeping with your dog to sleeping with your wife that is another issue and not in my area of expertise....................Cj