Intro to Gun

uplandviz

Intro to Gun

Post by uplandviz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi All,
This is my first post however I have been looking at this site for a long time and have learned so much from you all. I figured I would dive right in with my issue im having. I have a Vizsla (my first point breed, always had labs) that is sensitive to noise. When he was 12 weeks old, my fiance was walking him when the township decided to use blank cannon fire to push geese out of the local park. Since then, noise has been an issue. I thought for sure I would not have a gun dog after that. Well he is crazy about birds and I have gotten to the point (with a lot of patience) that he actually enjoy me shooting a 209 primer right over him- he now associates that with getting to chase down the bird for retrieve. The 209 training started with shooting far away and working close until i was right over him. He loves the sight of the 209 pistol. I even carry my shotgun when i do it. He associates it with field time now.
ere is my problem- I tried to do the same with a shotgun- starting far and working in.
100 yards away- his head shot up but he focused right back
75 yards- same
50 yards- jumped because he was startled but returned to chasing down bird, he even tracked and retrieved the wounded bird
50 yard s again- could tell it scared him but he got back to the bird

So I stopped there until I could get some insight as to how to proceed- he loves birds but im nervous to keep getting closer because i dont want to make him officially "gun shy" I know Vizslas can be real sensitive.

Thoughts? Thanks all- sorry for long first post. Just a concerned new guy to the pointer breed
Life is too short not to get lost in the woods once in awhile

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Intro to Gun

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:16 pm

75 yards- same
50 yards- jumped because he was startled but returned to chasing down bird, he even tracked and retrieved the wounded bird
50 yard s again- could tell it scared him but he got back to the bird " quote

You are doing it correctly, but I'm wondering over how many days did the above occur? I may be over cautious but I don't move closer until a week has passed.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

uplandviz

Post by uplandviz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 pm

100-100-50 in one day. a week later i did the second 50 yard shot. it has now been 3 days.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:10 pm

uplandviz wrote:Hi All,
This is my first post however I have been looking at this site for a long time and have learned so much from you all. I figured I would dive right in with my issue im having. I have a Vizsla (my first point breed, always had labs) that is sensitive to noise. When he was 12 weeks old, my fiance was walking him when the township decided to use blank cannon fire to push geese out of the local park. Since then, noise has been an issue. I thought for sure I would not have a gun dog after that. Well he is crazy about birds and I have gotten to the point (with a lot of patience) that he actually enjoy me shooting a 209 primer right over him- he now associates that with getting to chase down the bird for retrieve. The 209 training started with shooting far away and working close until i was right over him. He loves the sight of the 209 pistol. I even carry my shotgun when i do it. He associates it with field time now.
ere is my problem- I tried to do the same with a shotgun- starting far and working in.
75 yards- same
50 yard s again- could tell it scared him but he got back to the bird

So I stopped there until I could get some insight as to how to proceed- he loves birds but im nervous to keep getting closer because i dont want to make him officially "gun shy" I know Vizslas can be real sensitive.

Thoughts? Thanks all- sorry for long first post. Just a concerned new guy to the pointer breed
If he shows a reaction, any at all, back up. Don't rush it. I'd stay at 100 for a little until he doesn't show a negative reaction. Don't mean to hijack the thread but out of curiosity how many days do you span out with the shotgun? I have used the .22 blanks for a time or 2 and then went to a 20g shotgun and started at 100 and moved in.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:41 pm

What's your hurry?????
Go back to 100 , till no reaction, and mix it up with the 209 and shoty

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 am

I have started all of my dogs at a trap/skeet range. They have a very large area that runs from the end of the parking lot out maybe 300 yds. I take my pups their for fun fetching and play. Each day I more a bit closer. In time, they all got to were I can stand in the parking lot with them and they do not react at all to shot guns.....

For me it is slow but steady progress...

Good luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:49 pm

You gave me chills when I read this , "I have started all of my dogs at a trap/skeet range. ". :)

However , if pups start at 300 yards away from the shooting I can see where this might work - obviously has for you.

Not something I'd want to do though.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Sharon wrote:You gave me chills when I read this , "I have started all of my dogs at a trap/skeet range. ". :)

However , if pups start at 300 yards away from the shooting I can see where this might work - obviously has for you.

There was a thread on another forum where someone said to try the gun club. I advised that it's not the way to go, as it's risky. He insisted that it has worked for him and that socialization is the key and that i am coddling my dog. While having a bold dog would help, I don't think it's failproof. I know for a fact I will never do it.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Sounds like you were doing ok up to the 75 yard line !
Work at that :wink:
50 yard with a tail wind is easier.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:08 pm

even if the shooting range thing works it is only noise conditioning with no connecting the gun to birds......Cj

uplandviz

Post by uplandviz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:11 pm

NO gun range for me. Might work for some but I will stick to the gun only in association with birds. I will be starting back at 100 this weekend. Thanks for the tips! I am in no rush, rather want to get this right!

RIch

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm

I would set up in a field with ankle high grass like a pasture where the dog could see well and have someone 100 yards away flush birds and shoot them so your dog can see the entire sequence, flush boom fall, that way the shot is associated with the bird falling

this works even better if the shooter has a gun broke dog retrieving the downed birds and getting attaboys

your dog has to learn to associate the shot and the bird falling
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:31 pm

I start with a .22 while the dog is in chase of a flying bird and progess from there. When she is ready I will throw a dead bird for her and while in chase I will have someone shoot a shotgun from 100 yards and move in after each shot. This makes the association between a dead bird and the gun shot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:36 pm

"If he shows a reaction, any at all, back up. Don't rush it. I'd stay at 100 for a little until he doesn't show a negative reaction." quote Ruff Brit4

The most important posted sentence imo.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:
Sharon wrote:You gave me chills when I read this , "I have started all of my dogs at a trap/skeet range. ". :)

There was a thread on another forum where someone said to try the gun club. I advised that it's not the way to go, as it's risky. He insisted that it has worked for him and that socialization is the key and that i am coddling my dog. While having a bold dog would help, I don't think it's failproof. I know for a fact I will never do it.
All,
More than one way to "skin a cat" and to train a good gun dog! Don't be so quick to judge something you have not tried! I have trained 6 gun dogs over the last 25 years....and in each case this was the easiest and most effective way to get them started. Of course following this conditioning to the sounds and smells, we progressed to close in shooting over birds.....! Funny how people are usually only open to things they have done...!

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:

All,
More than one way to "skin a cat" and to train a good gun dog! Don't be so quick to judge something you have not tried! I have trained 6 gun dogs over the last 25 years....and in each case this was the easiest and most effective way to get them started. Of course following this conditioning to the sounds and smells, we progressed to close in shooting over birds.....! Funny how people are usually only open to things they have done...!
You are right, I haven't tried this method, and I NEVER will. It is far from proven and why risk making a dog gun shy? Give a couple pro trainers a call, I don't think they will recommend the gun club method. I know of more than a few dogs made gun shy with this method. To each his own...

uplandviz

Post by uplandviz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 am

Thank you- all for the suggestions and advice. This weekend we had a breakthrough! I shot a 12 gauge over my dog and he retrieved the quail and the shot didnt even make him flinch. By the third bird, he didnt move until he heard the shot! VERY excited to say the least after investing so much time and money and almost having a gunshy house dog! I'd like to share what I did in hopes to help someone else through this issue. I am a total amateur but it worked with help and input from pros and members of this site.

Dog was petrified of loud noises (to include distant shotguns.)

Started by getting him birdy but on lead. the second i let him go, my fiance would fire a shotgun in the distance. Worked 100 yards for 3 sessions ( 2 birds). 75 yards- 3 sessions 50 yards 4 sessions - 25 yards 2 sessions. all of this was done over 2 weeks. I then started having him retrieve bumpers while I shot winchester field popper loads at 25 yards then 10 yards then next to him. once he was used to that noise, i snuck in a 12 gauge round when he didnt expect it. He recognized tit was louder but it didnt bother him.

After all that- i took him to the field for birds. first bird- popper load, second bird- popper load, third bird- 12 gauge #7 load. since he actually was able to get that bird (because i killed it) he enjoyed the louder noise knowing he could could get a bird!

and now i have a dog that was written off by many trainers, going crazy when he sees a gun!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 am

I'm glad your dog came around :!: Good hunting this Fall with your birddog :D