Training a bird dog to become a shed dog?

Epp838

Training a bird dog to become a shed dog?

Post by Epp838 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:09 pm

I have a 1 yo vizsla and she is doing great with bird training and retrieving. She finds and hold steady until shot and retrieves, pretty much what i want out of a bird dog. Ive also been working with her on blood trails which she found her first deer this season after I shot a buck and he ran 75-80 yds. She found him no problem after about 5 min. So far she as took to any training I've working with her on. A few weeks ago we started working on hand signals to retrieve, she doing good but I think she can improve and or the trainer (me) could be better.

She's a sponge when it comes to training right now, so my question is have any of you attempted to train a bird dog on shed antler training? Do you think its a good idea? Do you think it will affect her bird drive? Ive been watching and reading up on it and it looks like most guys use labs for this. But after watching some videos of the dog bone guy it looks similar to bird training as far as them searching and using their nose to find something. I think the hard part for my dog would be to retrieve something that she didn't she fall or thats not a bird. Just wanted to see what you thoughts were on this subject.

CDN_Cocker

Re: Training a bird dog to become a shed dog?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:01 pm

It won't affect her birdiness, just give you more you can do together. Go for it!
jakeshed.jpg
grouse3.jpg
phez1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:15 pm

V's are incredibly smart - sounds like you got a good one. My only suggestion is to maybe use a different collar on her when pursuing birds vs. hunting for sheds. So she knows what she's supposed to be doing out there. Mine is a great retriever and loves to go with the beagles rabbit hunting and bring the dead bunnies to me. Those times, he stays with me and doesn't go looking for quail.

Epp838

Post by Epp838 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:46 pm

A different collar? Do you think she would notice a difference or do I need one like a bell or something significant so she'll know the difference

s223196

Post by s223196 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:49 pm

also interested in this, I have a 5 month old gsp female that more than likely would get to shed hunt more than bird hunt.

Jlensi

Post by Jlensi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I am also interested in this. I have a 10 week old GSP pup and one of her 'chew' toys is a shed. Good? No good?