Setter pup first time in field

Dlmino21

Setter pup first time in field

Post by Dlmino21 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm

I have a 5 month old setter pup and im trying to get him some work in the field with some pigeons. Up to now ive just been working on the basics; house training, socializing, here, and whoa. Hes 100% with recall in the house, pretty good in the yard, i have him drag a 30ft lead around, but he pretty much tunes me out when he sees a robin or tweety bird. So im a little worried about controlling him in the field and not chasing him around or losing him. Hes not collar conditioned yet, i just bought an E-collar so im letting him get used to wearing it around for a few weeks. Im planing on doing a quick intro to birds in the yard, then move out in the field. Any one have any advise or experiences with a pups first time in the field?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Setter pup first time in field

Post by DonF » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 am

Keep your mouth shut and follow him.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:07 am

Dlmino21 wrote:I have a 5 month old setter pup and im trying to get him some work in the field with some pigeons. Up to now ive just been working on the basics; house training, socializing, here, and whoa. Hes 100% with recall in the house, pretty good in the yard, i have him drag a 30ft lead around, but he pretty much tunes me out when he sees a robin or tweety bird. So im a little worried about controlling him in the field and not chasing him around or losing him. Hes not collar conditioned yet, i just bought an E-collar so im letting him get used to wearing it around for a few weeks. Im planing on doing a quick intro to birds in the yard, then move out in the field. Any one have any advise or experiences with a pups first time in the field?
You have to change your thinking or it will drive you nuts. It is not a question about controlling your dog, as that is not why you are in the field. You are there to allow your pup o explore and learn what is in that field. the pup is already dependent on you and it is the pups responsibility to know where you are. That is why we normally introduce the pups to the field very young, often while still not weaned or shortly there after. Your problem is the pup is big enough to get further away from you and you are thinking it will get lost. That is a rare situation, so turn the pup loose dragging a CC if you want, Just be sure it isn't too long and it does not have a knot or and thing on the snd that could possibly catch on anything. You walk slowly, keeping quiet, and let the pup explore. The only time to talk is if you are turning od changing direction, so the pup will know. The pup will keep track of your location and will stay with you. The normal thing that happens is the pup will stay too close till it starts to feel confident and that usually takes several trips. You may find a little variance because your pup is older but I am sure it will work out. Have fun and let the pup have fun too. You being in control can come later.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:18 am

you received some good advise here, you might want to hold off on those pigeons for a while and let the pup chase those robins and chippy birds while he is exploring the new world of being in the field. When you do get around to starting your pup on birds, keeping your mouth shut is really important.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:53 am

Skip intro to birds in the yard, and go straight to the field. The yard is for 7 week old puppies.

Think hard about what Ezzy said above. You need to be comfortable with your dog having some independence. With poonting dogs, there's a fine balance between independence and control, and trust between the dog and handler. I think it would help you if you can find a field-y place that's safe for the dog, that is, not near a busy road, not somewhere loaded with deer to chase, maybe with field fencing? In such a place you can let the dog go and not worry about him taking off on you. You'll be way more relaxed.

Some state DNRs have designated dog training areas. Or maybe call a local pointing breed club and find some contacts who can advise you about good places to train.

Probably most of us have had the same trepidation about turning a young dog loose at some time or other, so you aren't alone. It gets easier as that trust develops.

Have fun, stay quiet :)

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:23 am

I spend a lot of time just walking pups out in the field from the time they are 8 weeks old. At that time I use hot dog pieces to teach them to come to me with a command. Over and over until they get it. About 4 months old I will start teaching them to heal on on lease. Using the training lease from lcsupply with the slip knot. Great training tool for healing and whoa training. After they have learned to heel I start whoa training. Over and over until they stop when I tell them to whoa on the lease. Then I teach whoa with hand signal. Then add primer pistol. Primer pistol is used when I feed them so they have already been conditioned to blank pistol. I can shoot over 8 week old pups when I feed them with no problem you just have to start out at a distance and then get closer and closer. Never had a gun shy pup with this method. Get the Bill Hicock videos if you want the best videos on training pointing dogs.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:55 am

I start out in the field at 8 weeks. I stay quiet, I change directions when they are young. That teaches them to look back at me. And stay with me.
I would be careful with the e-collar and a 5 month pup. If you don't know what you are doing you can cause more damage than good. I personally don't use one that young. If they are going out of sight put a gps collar on. You will feel better knowing where they are.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:16 am

At some point you're going to want/need a GPS collar so go drop the coin for one right now.

At about 4 months, I placed a pigeon in a cage and let my guy check it out. In a cage it couldn't wing and frighten the pup but the winging and flapping around in the cage lit him right up as expected. After 10 minutes of him going absolutely berserk I knew I had a bird dog.

but he pretty much tunes me out when he sees a robin or tweety bird.

This should make you very happy~ My guy at 1 1/2 still LOCKS UP when he sees a robin in the yard.

Now get a GPS and let him run!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:15 am

NEhomer wrote:At some point you're going to want/need a GPS collar so go drop the coin for one right now.

At about 4 months, I placed a pigeon in a cage and let my guy check it out. In a cage it couldn't wing and frighten the pup but the winging and flapping around in the cage lit him right up as expected. After 10 minutes of him going absolutely berserk I knew I had a bird dog.

but he pretty much tunes me out when he sees a robin or tweety bird.

This should make you very happy~ My guy at 1 1/2 still LOCKS UP when he sees a robin in the yard.

Now get a GPS and let him run!
After hundreds of dogs and no GPS I am happy to report I never lost a dog in the field.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:28 am

If you can sit tight and wait several minutes for your dog to return, kudos to you.

I find the peace of mind priceless.

I also no longer need a bell or beeper and enjoy the quiet of the morning.

Rik

Post by Rik » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 pm

All good advice above.

I've trained 8 setters over the years and if yours are anything like mine as soon as they see birdy cover they'll start to hunt until they get anxious, then they will look for you for direction and reassurance, as soon as they have them they'll go hunting again and pay you no mind, and, being setters, they can cover a lot ground in a short period of time before they check in again.
Even though they were never far off and rarely out of sight I was always nervous about losing them. Then came the miracle of GPS. I put it on them when they hit the field and I never worry about where they are.