Training/tracking collar

TxBarley99

Training/tracking collar

Post by TxBarley99 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

What is the opinions out there on this new technology. Is the Alpha worth the 1100 for a two dog unit? Dogtra has their new pathfinder out there and it looks like sportdog has a new 2.0 model on there tracking system. I will be looking for a unit to do two dogs on and wanting to be able to track and trains with one system.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

averageguy

Re: Training/tracking collar

Post by averageguy » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

I have used an Alpha for the last two seasons while hunting and really like it for that. I used it with a mini collar on my current 2 year old dog when he was a puppy. It allowed me to keep track of him when he was out of sight in cover and avoid having to call him just because I had not seen him in awhile. Which was very helpful in letting the dog develop his search without interference from me.

But when I trained steadiness to WSF, and FF, I used a Garmin Pro 550 because of its superior instant ability to adjust stimulation levels in the training moment. The Alpha has 3 buttons which can be preprogrammed to different stimulation levels and I suppose that would suit a lot of training. No way do I want to be tapping a touchscreen to adjust stimulation levels vs watching the dog I am training. And without locking the touchscreen I have no trust that inadvertent brushes to the touchscreen have not altered the power levels of those buttons, which can yield a training moment disaster of too much stimulation than intended, and or too little to deter an unwanted or dangerous situation. So locking the screen and stimulation levels is a must for me, which then means even slower ability to change stimulation levels.

I train during the off season such that I do not have much need for corrections while hunting, so find the benefits of combined GPS and Ecollar in the Alpha, excellent for hunting but train with a 550.

No experience with the other brand.
Last edited by averageguy on Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Sometimes I will forget a collar, or forget to charge it, or forget a remote or the GPS. I like having two separate collars so if you are open to that I like the Astro for tracking and I use sportdog training collars, with a 1-mile range for training collar. I like the smaller handheld remote otherwise I would probably have the classic garmin/tritronics 550

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am

Garmin 320 with two collar's. Bought it wit one collar, $550 then added another collar later. Don't know how much they cost me all together but they are worth it to me. I don't let my dog's out unless their collars are on! I think your talking about the tracking/training collar? I wish some times I did have one of those. Now and then I make Stormy wear his tracker and trainer at the same time. That is a neck full of collar's!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 am

A disadvantage of the combo units, if it goes out on you, you got nothin'. With separate tracker/ecollar, one goes out and you have something to work with.

I don't have a problem with carrying two handhelds; if I'm training I carry the ecollar transmitter and leave the tracker receiver on my belt or on the fourwheeler; if I'm just running dogs I carry the Astro and leave the ecollar transmitter hanging. Most of the time all they need is one or the other.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 am

Think about how important is the map capability. I have the Tek 1.0 which just tells me how far away and in what direction, didn't have to pay for maps I don't need. Pretty sure the 1.5 is updated version of that.
Colin

TxBarley99

Training/tracking collar

Post by TxBarley99 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 pm

All good reads and answers and I thank you guys. I have a sport dog 1825 curently that I have set up for both dogs. Just curious. Maps are not my big concern but I do like the thought of Garmin is a gps company that has aquired the tritronics brand and develpoed with some of the best technologies. But at 1300$ for a 2 dog unit. I consider the Dogtra pathfinder a nd spending half that.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Very happy with the Dogtra Pathfinder.

That said, I wouldn't use it as a training collar. The shock function is nice if your dog takes after a deer or really won't listen, but too cumbersome for practical training work.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed May 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Ditto for me Shags. That's exactly what I do - Astro + Dogtra 2502. The Dogtra responds marginally quicker to a find which can play into the strategy depending on what wild species I'm hunting. ( I run the Dogtra on point-only mode.) If my dog has been gone for an extended period and I can't hear the Dogtra "locate", I check with the Astro.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:44 pm

JONOV wrote:Very happy with the Dogtra Pathfinder.

That said, I wouldn't use it as a training collar. The shock function is nice if your dog takes after a deer or really won't listen, but too cumbersome for practical training work.
Jonov,
Do you have experience with other track/train collars....primarily the alpha 100 / TT15. I was leaning towards that, but then got really tempted by the Pathfinder because of reviews and cost.... would love to save the bundle of money.... but I've heard a couple people say it's not a great training collar, and that will be more of my use than tracking. I have a 6 month old Brit and I'm new to training. I only want to buy one unit. Do you think the Pathfinder would be good, or would I regret it and wish I had the Alpha (or other)?