timing for a puppy

Speaks

timing for a puppy

Post by Speaks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey Guys,

Quick question, I am planning to get a new pup soon, an English Setter. I have pretty much settled on a breeder who I will also use to do some training for me as the pup gets older. There will likely be an October litter from a pairing that I think will be a good fit. My only concern is whether bringing home a new pup in December is a great idea. The trainer says it is ideal from the stand point of the dog being ready for real training in the spring and to hunt in the fall which makes complete sense to me (my last April born pup was really not ready to hunt his first fall). On the other hand I have potty trained a dog during MN winter before and it was more challenging to say the least.

I am leaning toward going ahead and doing the fall pup but just wanted to hear anyone else's experiences.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: timing for a puppy

Post by shags » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:08 pm

The biggest issue with my winter pups was the house breaking. The being ready for training, or for a particular season, is nothing when you think about having the dog for the next 13-14 years.

We managed the house reaking by scooping the pups up and setting them down right off the back porch, and having a jacket right there near the door if we weren't wearing a fleece something. It was not bad some times, but miserable others, but eventually it all got done.

Good luck with the new pup. Don't neglect to post pictires :D

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:12 pm

We picked up my shorthair pup in February of this year, and it was a very cold here in PA. We got through it without too much trouble. I will say that in the house we were in at the time was very small so we could keep an eye on him at all times so we could quickly get him out when he tried going in the house. It definitely took longer than I think it would have given warmer weather, but it wasn't some horrible experience or anything. I think you'll be just fine!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 am

I definitely like the winter born puppies and the fact that they are old enough to hunt the first fall. Shags is right in the long range it don't make a lot of difference, but in the first year it does. People have tendency to expect too much from their young puppy when hunting seasons start.
One thing that helps is if the breeder would keep the pup a bit longer. Ten weeks old or a bit more helps the pup both mentally and physically and makes housebreaking much easier on the pup.
No doubt the housebreaking is a bit more difficult, but young puppies tolerate cold temperatures fairly well and they learn quickly to get the job done so they can get back inside.......Cj

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 pm

sounds good, I am pretty sure we are going ahead with it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 am

I generally like late spring pup's. I don't hunt them the first fall then. More time for them to grow up and get ready for the first real deal. Even so, Stormy was an Oct pup but he didn't turn on till about 11 mos.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:52 pm

While it might be a hassle from the housebreaking end of it, its still a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

Really, if the breeding/breeder is what you want, I wouldn't let it enter my thought process, if only because I'd hate to wonder "what if" if I got a dog from a breeding that was my second choice.

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Yea you are right.

Honestly as I think back in detail by bad winter potty training experience might have been bad any time or year with that dog. It was a bloodhound pup that would drink way to much water and then have to pee constantly. If he peed in his crate he would slurp up the bathwater as you cleaned him up. When you took him outside he would gobble snow as fast as he peed. I was convinced it was a medical problem but vet swore he was fine and he did grow out of it by about 14 weeks.

It was 10 years ago so my first memory was potty training in the winter sucked, but I think it was just the dog.

One big positive is that a week before and two weeks after Christmas I have almost no work so lots of free time. He would be coming home right at the start of that so can really spend time with him during those formative weeks. I do really like the breeder and this particular breeding so think I will just pull the trigger.

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Well deposit is down on the pup. It is the breeder and litter I want, not even going to worry about the time of year anymore. I appreciate all the help. I will update with pics when I can.