550 or 550 Plus

CaptStephen73

550 or 550 Plus

Post by CaptStephen73 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 am

I’m in need of a new collar. I was looking at the 550 Plus but wanted to hear from anyone that has one already. Always reluctant to make a purchase like that when it’s brand new to market. Anyone hear of any glitches or something they like or dislike. Thanks in advance

averageguy

Re: 550 or 550 Plus

Post by averageguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 am

I have a 550, an Alpha and now a 550 Plus. So far so good with the 550 Plus. Had it been available when I bought the Alpha I would have bought the 550 Plus. It has the ecollar functions for training that I like and use in the 550 combined with adequate GPS functions to keep track of my dog while hunting. The GPS has worked well with similar accuracy and response times as the Alpha which I have used for a couple of years now. I have Buddy who also made the switch from his Alpha to the 550 Plus and he loves his 550 Plus.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 am

Thing I see guys complaining about on different boards is battery life. Most, including owner of Gun Dog Supply, say it should be charged daily. That is a deal breaker for me. My Pro100 I charge every couple weeks. My Alpha I charge every 3 days but I can also carry an extra battery for it which I don't believe you can do for the 550. You do realize it is a dog locator not a functioning GPS unit?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 am

I have access to all Garmin products for testing.
I still prefer using the Astro for tracking and the field 70 for training and both at the same when I need them. I don't like using the tracker in my yard or small field when I have no need for it.....CJ

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:22 am

I can easily get a couple of days of hunting on my 550 Plus on a charge, but have always placed my collars and transmitters on a charge each night of a hunt as I can see no good reason to do otherwise. Key to that is I am not camping in a remote location where I could be without power.

But I was curious so I just checked the Specs on the Astro, Alpha (which I own and have used extensively) and the 550 Plus I am now using. The 550 Plus has the longest battery life of the 3, which is listed at 24 hours compared to 20 on the Alpha and the Astro transmitters. The collars are the same.

The GPS system used in the 550 Plus to track the dog is identical to that used on the Alpha and Astro, but the 550 Plus transmitter does not have all the waypoint, tracking or map layering functions. I already owned a Garmin Oregon when I bought my Alpha and it was immediately apparent the Alpha is based on the same GPS platform as the Oregon. Garmin added some ecollar functions to its existing handheld GPS to create the Alpha, which myself and many others found/find inadequate for training but adequate for hunting a trained dog.

I can see the appeal of loading chips with Maps and using the Alpha for navigation in remote bird hunting areas some may find themselves in. There are of course many alternatives to that as well e.g. OnX on a cell phone, handheld GPS. No where I have bird hunted so far has the Alpha been a better tool. I hate the Alpha touchscreen and the training buttons are way inadequate for advanced training, which is an opinion shared by a multitude of Alpha users leading to the rollout of the 550 Plus. I could be using any of the 3 I currently own, and used the 550 Plus this morning and will continue using it until something better comes along.

Most people advocating running separate GPS and ecollars on the dog, with two transmitters on the handler do so because they already owned the ecollar and it was cheaper to add GPS by buying the Astro. They then claim it is for the better. Not for me and lot of other folks it isn't which explains why the market for the Alpha and now the 550 Plus exists. Like CJ's post since I own a 550 I will use it around the house for non-hunting applications where I have no need for GPS, but it sure would not compel me to buy a 550 over the 550 Plus if I did not already own it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

averageguy wrote:I can easily get a couple of days of hunting on my 550 Plus on a charge, but have always placed my collars and transmitters on a charge each night of a hunt as I can see no good reason to do otherwise. Key to that is I am not camping in a remote location where I could be without power.

But I was curious so I just checked the Specs on the Astro, Alpha (which I own and have used extensively) and the 550 Plus I am now using. The 550 Plus has the longest battery life of the 3, which is listed at 24 hours compared to 20 on the Alpha and the Astro transmitters. The collars are the same.

The GPS system used in the 550 Plus to track the dog is identical to that used on the Alpha and Astro, but the 550 Plus transmitter does not have all the waypoint, tracking or map layering functions. I already owned a Garmin Oregon when I bought my Alpha and it was immediately apparent the Alpha is based on the same GPS platform as the Oregon. Garmin added some ecollar functions to its existing handheld GPS to create the Alpha, which myself and many others found/find inadequate for training but adequate for hunting a trained dog.

I can see the appeal of loading chips with Maps and using the Alpha for navigation in remote bird hunting areas some may find themselves in. There are of course many alternatives to that as well e.g. OnX on a cell phone, handheld GPS. No where I have bird hunted so far has the Alpha been a better tool. I hate the Alpha touchscreen and the training buttons are way inadequate for advanced training, which is an opinion shared by a multitude of Alpha users leading to the rollout of the 550 Plus. I could be using any of the 3 I currently own, and used the 550 Plus this morning and will continue using it until something better comes along.

Most people advocating running separate GPS and ecollars on the dog, with two transmitters on the handler do so because they already owned the ecollar and it was cheaper to add GPS by buying the Astro. They then claim it is for the better. Not for me and lot of other folks it isn't which explains why the market for the Alpha and now the 550 Plus exists. Like CJ's post since I own a 550 I will use it around the house for non-hunting applications where I have no need for GPS, but it sure would not compel me to buy a 550 over the 550 Plus if I did not already own it.
Just so you all understand I am not claiming it is for the better, I am just stating the fact that for me it works better. You can buy the 70 and The Astro for about the cost of the Alpha. Never checked the cost of the 550+. I am rather technologically challenged and I like things simple. The field 70 Garmin does what I need it to do and I have never lost a dog when training. Actually I have never lost a dog while hunting either. Carrying 2 transmitters is not and issue while hunting because neither needs to be immediately accessible. I do not have a reason to use the tracker when training. I never get twenty hours on a charge and batteries for the Astro are expensive. Basically my only reason for the Astro is to locate the dog on point in the grouse woods. I do like to know how far the dogs and I travel. But I don't use much of anything else. I find the 550+ cumbersome to use and heavier than I like carry. Also on my older dogs The Ecollar is very rarely needed and is just on the dog as a precautionary measure. Not trying to change anybodies mind the more you buy the better I like it...Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Snell at Gun Dog Supply says they should be charged nightly. Every week I hunt three days straight camped out. Wouldn't work for me.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 pm

The + would have to have something extra . Otherwise it would be trading something that was less .
That plus , is either what you want ,or what is marketed to you.
Personally my dishes are washed with Fairy liquid just the same as Fairy Ultra . 8) :wink:

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Just watched Snell's video. Twice he says the battery life on the 550 Plus transmitter is 24 hours and 25 hours on the TT15 collars. Which is good for a tool which includes GPS and longer than the Alpha Transmitter.

Since I own three of them I took a photo for comparison. The screen at the bottom of the 550 Plus on the left is where the arrow and distance tracking information on the dog appears and is the key feature enhancement between it and the 550 which is ecollar only with no GPS tracking of the dog. I love letting my dog hunt in heavy cover or over the rise in open country while still knowing where he is and what he is doing. It was instrumental in letting him range as a puppy (and today) without me having to interfere. With the GPS I could be comfortable where he was and what he was doing even when I could not see him. So yes absolutely worth it to me to have both GPS and Ecollar in the same unit. It is also why I bought the mini collars so they could be used on a puppy and once I had the minis I have not used the much larger TT15s since.

The 550 Plus Transmitter without its flexible antenna is the identical length and diameter as the 550. With the antenna it is 3 inches longer. The 550 Plus is 2.25 inches longer than the Alpha including the antennas on both. The 550 weighs 7 ounces, the 550 Plus weighs 8 ounces, the Alpha weighs 10 ounces which given it is the same size as the Astro Transmitter is likely the same weight. So there are the facts on size and weight.

Carrying them - I have been carrying my Alpha on the left side of Wings Work vest chest strap using one of Garmins clips. Now with the 550 Plus I can place the transmitter in one of two cylinder holsters already designed for the product. The antenna sticks out the top and serves as an excellent handle for removing and then replacing the 550 Plus Transmitter to the holster. The carrying option for the 550 Plus on that vest is a wonderful improvement over carrying the Alpha on the chest strap. Really could not be more simple to carry and use.

ccbass

Post by ccbass » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 am

I like the Alpha. But I still had to get the 550plus and after having it, I found myself going to the alpha. The Alpha does everything and is really accurate, if hunting grouse/woodcock sometimes in thick stuff you can't see your dog 10 yards away. Alpha will direct to a couple feet, the 550 just says less than 20 feet and stops directing. I have had no issues with battery on either. But if hunting better part of day the alpha may be down to say 50% I just charge it. The other upside to alpha is it will get you back to your truck.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:52 pm

I am sure the waypoint capabilities of the Alpha are beneficial to some. If they ever are to me, I will carry my Alpha in my vest for that purpose and use the 550 Plus for tracking and handling my dog.

I cannot conceive how the 20 feet or less message on the 550 Plus transmitter screen will ever come into play in any meaningful limiting way.

After using an Alpha for at least 300 days a year for the past 2.5 years, I would never claim it is accurate to within 2 feet. Even it were the difference between 2 feet and the 20 feet or less when the 550 Plus message occurs, is 18 feet at the most or 6 yards.

The dog is on point within 6 yards or less in the SAME Direction the arrow has been indicating the whole time I have been walking to the dog. If I cannot find my dog on point within 6 yards of me in the same direction the transmitter has been indicating up that point without continuing to look at the transmitter, I expect it is time for me to hang up my shotgun. Reality is I will have some distance away put away the transmitter and am carrying my shotgun at port arms ready to flush and shoot the bird my dog is pointing. I doubt I am unique in that.

Complete non issue is what that is.

ccbass

Post by ccbass » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:08 am

Sorry to offend aveguy but I did have trouble in thick cover finding my dog on point when less than 20 feet. Maybe we don't hunt the type of cover. A lot if times I cannot walk a straight line to get to point. I was just trying to help people see some pros n cons that I experienced in real hunting situations So for me if I need GPS which is only when grouse/woodcock hunting i will choose the Alpha over the 550 plus.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 am

You did not offend me and should provide your feedback on the tools as the OP requested, as you did.

I hunt heavy cover quite a bit, both tall warm season grass (big bluestem, indian grass) and brush and trees. I am seldom able to walk a straight line to the dog either, but the transmitter provides an arrow for direction and distance to the dog the whole way until I am within 20 feet of the dog. I do not find it credible with my experience using the 550 Plus, that anyone could not keep their bearings on the direction of the dog at that point and locate it within 20 feet of them when the message appears. So I do not find the 550 Plus to have any shortcomings for the purpose of locating the dog. The far better ecollar functions make it the better choice over the Alpha for me. The superiority of the 550 Plus ecollar functions over the Alpha becomes even greater for those handling two dogs at the same time.

I expect folks who use the waypoint full GPS features of the Alpha may find enough value in them to overcome the horrible touchscreen and very limited ecollar functions of the Alpha but the tradeoffs are there. If a person trains with an ecollar much, going down the Alpha road will require a separate ecollar for training. Which is what I have been doing for several years until the 550 Plus hit the market.

These tools are expensive enough that I would not want someone to buy something they are not happy with. I do not find the fact that the 550 Plus goes to a 20 feet and under message once the transmitter is that close to the dog to be a problem or a compelling reason to choose an Alpha over the 550 Plus. Hence my post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:16 am

If I were hunting prairies only, without question it would be the 550. For you fellers that can't find their pooch at 20', put an orange vest on them. I NEVER run my dogs without an orange skid plate. Cattails are the worst for finding a dog but if you get that close that pheasant will flush anyhow.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 am

Here's my situation and my take on the OP's question.

I do competitions where having an e-collar on the dog is not permitted. Therefore, any combination type unit is not ideal for me.

I do use both an e-collar(TriTtronics barrel style) and a GPS locator device when training, because my dogs tend to have more range than I can manage with just my eyes, and I want to know where they are and what they are up to, especially in training situations. The GPS is invaluable for that.
As has been said many times, you cannot correct a dog for something you cannot see... BUT, if you know your training grounds, you know where and how you have planted birds and you can watch the progress of the dog on the GPS in virtually real time(2.5 second delay)... you have a very good idea of what is happening, even though it is out of your sight. Thus you can react appropriately, even at extended ranges.

All that said, I do like the barrel style because, whether it is at my side during training or in the sleeve holder on my off side during hunting, I can find the correct button and such without taking my eyes off the dog. My timing is bad enough as it is, and having to look away at a screen to make sure I am doing the right thing would only make my timing worse.

Honestly, if I hunted more, I would seriously look into the 550 plus, as it would allow me to have both in one hand and with a quick glance, know where the dog is and where it is going, when it is out of sight. That is convenient and a comfort, as the kind of dog I like tends to run a bit bigger than what others prefer and they do spend a fair part of their time afield out of my visual range.

If your dogs typically stay within visual range, and you enforce that range regularly, the need for a GPS is less.

I can see the need for a more precise location if hunting in truly thick cover. I have had a small dog, buried up in a wide, thick hedgerow, on point, that I rode right by at a trial. When I pulled out the tracker, I actually rode by her a second time while watching the locator arrow. The Astro with the 2.5 second refresh is quite good about precise location. My only gripe with the Astro is that it automatically changes from yards to feet at a certain range, and if I look at it quickly I can't see the small print of the legend and fact that it is now feet and not yards, which can screw me up.

RayG

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 am

For Clarity. The GPS tracking system for the 550 Plus is identical to the Astro and Alpha. At all distances the 550 Plus updates as quickly and works just as accurately as the other Garmin products, as it uses the same technology. For a reason only Garmin can address the message on the 550 Plus reverts to "20 Feet or Less" when the handler is that close to the dog. At all distances up to that, the 550 Plus is providing an arrow pointing to the exact location of the dog and the same exact distance as the other Garmin products.

So the practical is as the Handler approaches the dog, as close as just beyond 20 feet the 550 Plus is still pointing towards the dog and giving the distance. Pretty simple to proceed the last few feet in the same direction from there. I did it for 2 hours just yesterday morning with the dog seldom in sight in 4 foot tall weedy cover. The same dog will open up nicely in open cover as shown in the photos posted in my Prairie Grouse thread, but is smart, experienced and cooperative hunting different birds in differing terrain, such that he tightens up on his own in heavy cover. I tracked him on yesterday's pheasant hunt mostly by watching for the moving tops of the cover he was constantly moving through, but when he stopped or changed directions while I was not watching, the 550 Plus told me where and how far. Had it been more windy the weeds would all been constantly moving such that keeping track visually would have been pretty much impossible.

As noted by others, even when a dog is ranging closer but in heavy cover there is a wonderful use for the GPS dog tracking/locating features of these products. And there are valid reasons for using an Astro or an Alpha as has been explained by others and myself. But this 20 feet and under message readout issue raised in regards to the 550 Plus is not one of them based on my use of the 500, Alpha and 550 Plus.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:52 am

Use of GPS once again.

On a training run on my property, I had the Astro on one of my older dogs and it was fortunate that I did. My property is a total of 10 acres with the back field being about 3 acres.

She disappeared on the way back to the Kmule after the training was done in the back field. Poof!

I got the handheld out of the Kmule and looked at it. She was 35 ft. from the mule...on point. I looked right along the line of sight and saw nothing but high weeds and brush. She was on my neighbors property in some really high, thick stuff standing a couple of quail. All in all, she was about 20 ft. from my property line. I did not see her tail until I was about 10 ft. from her and she ain't a small dog.

I like GPS technology.

RayG

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Maybe it was mentioned...or not... but I heard today that the 550 Plus doesn't have an audible indicator (It doesn't Beep) when the dog goes on point. Is that true?
Tom

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm

GG, I grabbed my 550 Plus transmitter when it arrived, paired it with my existing mini collars and went to using it, so am uncertain if this can be changed but presently the transmitter will vibrate with an accompanying low buzz similar the Alpha's notification when the dog goes on point. But my Alpha was carried on my vest chest strap so the vibration alert was easier to hear in that position than is the 550 Plus riding in a holster on my WW vest belly belt. On a windy day in tall noisy waving grass that we hunt alot for pheasants, I could easily miss the point alert vibrate/buzz on the 550 Plus. If I am unaware of where the dog is I lift the 550 Plus transmitter out of the holster on my belt high enough to see if the stop sign is black which means the dog is stopped, periodically and then drop it straight back down in the holster.