training advise

bklyn hunter

training advise

Post by bklyn hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 am

well my vizsla is 10 weeks old.at what age should i start training her on scents or what are the first steps for her to start knowing about hunting

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:16 am

Where are you going to work her in Brooklyn? If you can get her out some where where she can run around off lead and she has a chance to find and explor, she'll pretty much teach herself to hunt. All she need's is the opertunity. In my opinion, don't rush things. Get her out and looking for things but hiold off on formal training for about a year. Most people don't do that but I like to let the pup get the pup out first.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 am

always places to go and NY has more woods than city.

take her in a field with short grass and let her run and have fun. Learn to read her and she'll let you know when she is ready for things. My vizsla seems to mature a bit slower than average, but she is becoming a fine dog as we play (and now work) together.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:20 pm

IMO by know she should have atleast seen and smelled a bird if you have a place to work her and have access to pigieons get some and let her play develop her prey drive. Kids will be kids, puppies will be puppies. Have fun let her experience as much as possibly and it will all come together training a dog is all done in steps and IMO socialization is the first and MOST important step. HAve fun with that new pup....