Two to fetch?

grant
GDF Junkie

Two to fetch?

Post by grant » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:46 pm

When I'm woking my two dogs, and a bird is flushed and shot, they wait for me to tap them on the head. However, when i tap one they both take off after the dead bird. My question is, when a bird is shot, should both dogs fetch on just one?

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:22 am

The dog that you tap should be the one retrieving...the other one should honor. Of course, if it works for you and you're not trialing, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's bothersome, I would have someone help you out with training them together to honor each other when retrieving. Have each person hold a dog and release only 1. The other dog should be told to whoa and wait for the return. You might want to mention the name of the one that you'll be releasing also.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:49 am

Cool,

I want to start trialing the dogs, but they are still young. I'll work on getting them to honor each other. Thanks for the reply

Grant

lking

Post by lking » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:59 am

When I work my two labs together, I release via their name. When I do this, I have a 12 inch clip lead around their necks and simply hold on to the one I don't want released. After a short period of time, the dogs will honor one another. My 10 month old honors better than my 4 year old. The reason I like the very short lead is it doesn't inhibit the dog, just enough for me to grab.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:03 am

That sounds good too. Its hard working two dogs with one person. If fact, I had one dog "Bell" who does great alone. But I just bought a second GSP "Carl". Now its like they compete with each other. Bell, the female 7mo., will run to Carl 6mo, and rip the quail out of his mouth on a fetch =( I need to put a stop to this I guess....

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:10 am

Grant-
You might want to work them seperate until Bell gets a bit more controlled...not that I'm saying she's out of control, but because they are still such a young age and it sounds like she is a dominant female. It sounds like Carl needs to get a few birds in his mouth to get some confidence built up so that he doesn't allow Bell to get his birds. I could be way off, but it's just a thought.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:14 am

I would say she is dominant over carl at this point. I agree, maybe its best to work one at a time for now!

Thanks for the reply!

Mistletoe

Tap on Head

Post by Mistletoe » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:14 pm

Sounds like what I do, but if you work with somebody they can hold leash while the original pointer retrieves. If not, do as the above person says, hold or stake the leash.
Actually I work with clicker on a table, get that whoa down pat there.
Course then I mess up with fun retrieving with 8 dogs, competition has been built in, and I kick the 2 MH out of the way, so the kids now get involved. Slowly get rid of them behind the fence where they can watch, and we get new competition. I grew up with 5 brothers and only girl on block. I also make it a point that the hanger ons get the toy lots to build up confidence. Now I have some of those not so competitive carrying the plush dog around the house all day.
I like to click and treat constantly. Saves the voice, reward is instant.
Mary Carson
www.FlintknapperKennel.com