What DVD's books are worth the time to see/read

JJHACK

What DVD's books are worth the time to see/read

Post by JJHACK » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 am

I have not had a bird dog since I was 15 years old. A long time ago now. However I just bought a pup and want to get his education kicked off right

Thanks for any suggestions

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 am

perfection kennels puts out a great DVD, pricey, but money well spent

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 am

Pointer or flusher? For pointing breeds I second the Perfection kennels DVD's.

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:41 am

Pointer or flusher?
good question, i keep forgetting there are more and more people on here that dont run a pointing breed :oops:

JJHACK

Post by JJHACK » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:55 am

I'll pick up my new GSP on Nov 5th he will be 8 weeks old.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:19 am

Jim,

Good to see you here. Let me introduce this guy to you all. He's a African Professional hunter than has forgotton more about guns and loads than we will ever know. His knowledge is beyond reproach. Presently he is supposed to be writting a book on guns and loads. I believe he's also giuded in alaska and lives in Washington state when not in Africa. A well educated gentleman that does not dwell on speculation. This guy is a cridit to every site he visits. If his web site is in his signature, visit it. absolutely beautiful photo's of african game, live african game!

Jim when you get that book finished, I want a signed copy. Welcome aboard! I always recommend Bill Tarrents book on Delmar Smith. You can find it on Rick Smith's web site.

Once again, welcome aboard!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

cusedell

Post by cusedell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Jim,
Great website by the way. I'm sure everyone, myself included, is envious of you. I was asking the same questions you were about 10 months ago. I highly recommend the Delmar Smith book by Tarrant, "Gun Dog" is OK at best, good reference and background. Long's book I think it's called "Training your Pointer" is pretty decent as well.
I must add though even with all this information this forum has provided countless answers to several obedience, bird training, and just trainer inexperience questions. Best of luck.

Jason T.

Bear

Books & Videos

Post by Bear » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 am

I agree with Don Dave Walkers. Perfection start and Finish is also good. I also like a few things from George Hickox and silent command by the Smith Bros.

Nice to have you. And great choice in breed.