Sportdog 400S

Equismith

Sportdog 400S

Post by Equismith » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:56 pm

I like the price and the limited lifetime warranty idea, and these are sold locally for $179 plus tax. (Tractor Supply and Southern States Farm Supply)

I have a Brittany that is good on a check cord but when off of it she's about hard headed, like me :lol: I'll hunt her close so range ain't a real issue.

I searched the forums for input and read some posts on Sportdog as recent as an October post. But what about this model specifically?

If you use the 400S, please tell me your opinions of it.

Many thanks.

Bud

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Good for yard work
as for 400 yard that is on a clear day with no obstructions a dog will figure out quickly when it is out of range of the transmitter...as they will head out and you'll be calling and as long as they stay out the pushingof the button will do nothing till they get back in range
so in your woods your not going to get that much distance at all
your better off with a better end model
Tritronics G3 has a stronger signal the basic is about 249 bucks you have that bit extra incase
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:39 am

I have a sport dog 1200 that I got online for 150 bucks. If you search you can find better deals on them. I has been great and made a huge difference with my GSP.

Thier customer service is second to none. I had a slight problem with my transmitter right out of the box. I called and they shipped me a whole new unit (collar and transmitter) that day. I had the new one the next day( I live in Nashville Tn. and in came from Knoxville). I put the old one in the postage paid retrun box and have never looked back since.

check out this website or do a general search. You could find a better price or buy more range for the same price.

http://www.petelectronicsystems.com/pub ... rtdog+1200

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:01 pm

I sell Sportdog, Dogtra, Tri-tronics, Dt e-collars. Sportdog has great customer service. I dont feel the quality of the product is very good. My feelings are also backed up by past customers selling there Sportdog products and going back to either Tri-tronics or Dogtra and DT. I feel that Tri-tronics and Dogtra are the best collar manufacturers with DT just behind them. I would strongly consider a Tri-tronics or Dogtra. I do offer member discounted prices on all three companies. If you need any prices e-mail me at mark@coonriverkennels.com

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:05 pm

i had a 400s and got along great with it. yes, your range will be limited by hills, heavy brush (if the dog is far away), etc, but that didnt really seem to be an issue for me. i went to an 1850 partly because it came with a beeper, but mostly because i lost my 400s somewhere in Kansas! i have been very happy with sportdogs products and their customer service. and you cant beat the price, IMHO. you might check lion country supply, as they will almost certainly have a better price than the local farm store.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:18 pm

FWIW I've used the 400s and sold it. I then bought the Sportdog 1850 Upland and am getting ready to sell it and go to Tri-tronics. The Sportdog has become too undependable for me.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:15 am

We chose not to sell Sportdog due to all of the negative reviews..I would highly recommend Tri-Tronics or Dogtra!! We offer member discounts on collars if interested PM or call 641 203-2867 for price quote or if you have any further questions...

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 am

Didn't sportdog just buy Innotech? If so for me that alone would be a good enough reason to never purchase anything they sell.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Danro

Post by Danro » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:55 am

I have the 400 and if there's one thing I regret, is not buying enough range. You're really gonna wish you had it when you turn your back for a second and Fido's over the next hill, or in heavy cover. you can always find a good deal on ebay. I'll be upgrading to the 800 or 1200 soon. the colars tough as nails though. I recently lost the transmitter on a hunting trip on the ground with thousands of multi colored leaves. the only way i found it was when i stepped on it. and i'm sure even if it did break that they would send me a new one very f ast for free or discounted prices. best customer sevice in the industry. can't put a price on that sometimes.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 am

Danro wrote:I have the 400 and if there's one thing I regret, is not buying enough range. You're really gonna wish you had it when you turn your back for a second and Fido's over the next hill, or in heavy cover. you can always find a good deal on ebay. I'll be upgrading to the 800 or 1200 soon. the colars tough as nails though. I recently lost the transmitter on a hunting trip on the ground with thousands of multi colored leaves. the only way i found it was when i stepped on it. and i'm sure even if it did break that they would send me a new one very f ast for free or discounted prices. best customer sevice in the industry. can't put a price on that sometimes.
Tri-Tronics also has OUTSTANDING customer service along with a top notch product!!!!

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:54 am

I have sent some emails regarding the Sport Basic G3 from TriTronics.

I'd think for now the 1/2 mile range for me, a complete newbie and rookie, and my Brittany, will be sufficient. Libby will be 80-85% house dog/pet and the rest a hunter. She is pretty good about staying in sight of me. If she loses sight, when she realizes it, she comes a scramblin' back in my direction all paws and elbows with ears a floppin'. :lol:

Thanks for the input folks. I'll buy from one of our sponsors. I'm just waiting on their quotes.

Thanks again for the help.

Bud

and Libby

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:57 am

You will be VERY happy with your Tri-Tronic decision!!! Please feel free to call 641 203-2867 or e-mail if you have any further questions or need a price quote..Thank You