Dave Walker vs Rick Smith - comparisons?

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Dave Walker vs Rick Smith - comparisons?

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm considering going to one of their seminars and I'm wondering if anyone had any comments/comparisons of them? The Smith seminar is much closer for me, but I have a few friends that are really, really high on Dave Walker, so I'm a bit torn. I'm just interested in hearing more about each and their main differences.

I know they both have videos, but I'd prefer something hands-on.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Ricks seminar for most people starting out makes more sense

but both are good

review your Dvds and the one that makes the most sense to you go to that one....
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Actually, I think that the Walker way is less complicated. He only uses a hot collar on the neck, and a check cord and his blunt spiked collar.

I believe, that the Smith way uses the Wonder lead, Whoa post, check cord w/a special knot, and a hot collar on the neck and the flank.

They are both a SILENT method, which in my opinion is the only way to go.

Dave's seminar probably isn't as expensive, which might make up for the extra distance. I have been to a couple of Dave's, so I may be a little prejudiced.

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 pm

They both have a good reputation as trainers. The big difference that I hear is the cost with the Smith seminars being pretty high. Between the starting one and the intermediate or what ever they cakk it they are over 1000 dollars the last I heard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 pm

The foundation is 350.00 the intermediate is 750.00 and the advance is 1250.00

foundation he limits to 30 people
Intermediate and Advance only 10 in he seminar

So What he charges in relation to where you want to take your dog or dogs

most only do the foundation it is the one most everyone goes back to sit on also

Rick also travels a lot and all over.....and travel hotels the over charge he has on hauling his equipment including chain gangs and what he shares except for a couple of people everyone I know that was really serious about their dogs walked out feeling they got well more then their monies worth and a good handful of them have been to other well known seminars

But that is for the individual person to figure out which method makes the most sesne to them and more important their dog which yes rick breaks things down more which also over lays quicker for the dog to understand what truely is being asked of them. Not that other methods don't work they do my first dog was trained more west method base he turned out into a good bird dog.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:55 am

Dave's seminar is $125 - not sure if you're supposed to bring a dog or not. I would be flying in and would not be able to bring one anyway, while I could to Smith's. That's another consideration.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:57 am

Both are successful trainers. I know Dave fairly well and respect him. He has accomplished as much as Rick has in the world of bird dogs.

No one way is the perfect and only way to train your dog. DO purchase the videos of both. ( Cheaper then two seminars) then attend the one that appeals more to your way of doing things. And then if you can, later on, attend the other one....no harm in doing both as you can afford to....

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:01 am

I don't know Dave but respect what he has done in the Brittany community. I have been to several of Rick's seminars and recommend him highly. I have seen both newbies and old experienced bird dog handlers attend his foundation seminar and one older experienced dog guy said he would not sell one of his pups to someone unless they attended one of Ricks seminars. I think he was just caught up in the moment but neverless a very good endorsement.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks all; it sounds like either seminar would be a good choice, so that's good to hear.

I'll get online and get a video from each of them, or borrow one. I am mostly interested in how their approaches differ from each other, so the videos seem like my best way to do that.

RedGirls

seminars

Post by RedGirls » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:21 am

The video idea is a great one, mostly because it will help you to see HOW they work with the dog. As I am sure you know, Vizslas are typically softer than some of the other breeds and do not require strong correction/heavy training.

Then again, my Mom's Vizsla is NOT typical. (Very smart but NOT soft.) Good luck and have fun!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 am

Yeah, I realize that. I watched Hickox's video and thought the approach was, if anything, gentler than what I'm used to seeing.

Your mom's dog sounds like my girl. Smart as a whip, but she has her own opinion that she is very, very reluctant to change. :)

dogirl

Post by dogirl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:27 am

There is a Hickox seminar in Okeechobee, FL on March 2nd thru 5th if you are interested in that.

dogirl

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks. Vizsla walking nationals are in Georgia that same weekend, so I can't make that one. Darnit.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:07 am

:D I gotta give you a big thumbs up on your webb site! One of the best I have seen, with the video's!!

nice job

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 am

Thanks! Most of the website is my doing, with of course significant influence from the missus. :)
The videos are primarily her creation. I helped a little, but they're mostly all her.