crate bedding

Vandal03

crate bedding

Post by Vandal03 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:03 pm

What is your opinion on bedding in the crate, especially for the first few months after a pup comes home? Bedding in the crate to make it comfy or no bedding so there is nothing to absorb urine and you have a better idea if they had an accident?

With my first, I reduced the size of the crate so he could just turn around in it. I used to give him an old towel or something but would end up cleaning it pretty often for awhile. He caught on fairly quickly, though, until it was an accident every now and then, and then totally accident-free after awhile. Now he's older and his crate is ultra comfy and it's definitely his spot.

I was planning on doing the same for the new guy, but I'm also curious if he'll catch on quicker if there is nothing to absorb accidents (i.e. no towels or bedding). Any thoughts on this one?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:43 pm

I use a newspaper or two. Works well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:13 am

For my Brit i used T-shirts so she would calm down with something with my scent on it, but the you wash it anyways...so that was sort of pointless. Now with our baby Wire I use towels in between washing her blanket. She tries to eat paper if she can get a hold of it (or shred is more like it), or I would use newspaper. Some use woodchips/sawdust, but I would think that would be better for outside kennels.
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:30 am

I put a big dog pillow in there for the pup's. They made a sound and I took them outside. They had accidents in the house but never in the crate if I got them out soon as they wined a bit. The down side is you could teach the pup to make a racket in the crate. That hasn't happened to me.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 am

I dont like anything in a crate that can be eaten and cause a bowel obstruction. I've seen some real bad things happen because of that.

Most dogs it wont be a problem, but if it happens its a huge problem.

I put a thick towel under the crate to insulate it from the floor.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol